Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

The TAs in UK regularly tell guests that they don't have to pay the tips. You should sail on Indie out of England if you really want to see a line at GR with people removing the tips......:-(

Possibly a reason why the current UK offer includes 'free' gratuities when sailing out of Southampton, to stop people doing it!

LOL that is what I thought! I bet a few still try and get them taken off though......:rolleyes:

Might be a little harder if it's pre-paid.

Biker, who sees the Aussie model (where grats can't be removed since they are in the price) rolled out to more markets.

Funny I keep hearing how it’s Aussies and Poms that remove tips, yet almost every thread asking about removing them is started by a Yank, and when I see people asking to remove them at the purser’s desk it seems to be an American accent asking.

We have had several conversations about gratuity lately. Trying to assess our take on it. I have no firm position, however, as a family of 4, it is very difficult to spend $500 for gratuities on a 9 day cruise PLUS all of the other gratuity for drinks, bags, etc. For the last cruise, we only ate in the dining room a handful of times during lunch or breakfast. Our kids are older and we keep our room tidy. I definitely feel that we should tip the full $120 for my husband and I, but I feel that $500 for the whole family is a little steep. With that said, I care very much about the people that work on the cruise. I just think that the cruiselines have things a bit "out of balance" when it comes to gratuities.

"Mutiny at the high seas'?

What if the cruise fare includes gratuities?? Then what...??

Options?

Mutiny? Hunger Strike? Holding their breath? Stomping their feet? Throwing tantrums? Crying? Sobbing? Yelling? All of the above???

Good Lord !!!

SECURITY!!

;)

Next...!

This is already what happens. Gratuities automatically charged, essentially part of the fare... they cry, whine, and stomp their feet to guest services to have them removed!!! Screw the disadvantaged workers who sweat for them! They can save $13.50/day!!!!!!

We have had several conversations about gratuity lately. Trying to assess our take on it. I have no firm position, however, as a family of 4, it is very difficult to spend $500 for gratuities on a 9 day cruise PLUS all of the other gratuity for drinks, bags, etc. For the last cruise, we only ate in the dining room a handful of times during lunch or breakfast. Our kids are older and we keep our room tidy. I definitely feel that we should tip the full $120 for my husband and I, but I feel that $500 for the whole family is a little steep. With that said, I care very much about the people that work on the cruise. I just think that the cruiselines have things a bit "out of balance" when it comes to gratuities.

It's not difficult. You just use that as justification. I find it difficult to buy a private jet, I can't afford it, so I don't do it. Or I'll wait until I can afford it. You find it difficult because you didn't save up enough or simply want to justify a reason to make yourself feel better if you did decide to stiff the staff... Well, gosh, they are kids, and well, we didn't eat in the dining room THAT much...

You take a family of 4 on a NINE DAY cruise, then find it difficult to pay the relatively small gratuities? Great....

Makes no difference if you only ate in the dining room a couple of times. Dining gratuities cover all locations - dining room waiters work in the Windjammer and other locations.

Not steep at all ...... It's actually cheap for around $13 per person, per day, you are covering all your meals, cabin, and miscellaneous. No matter how tidy your kids are the steward still has to make their bed, change their sheets, clean bathroom, clean towels, etc.

That is a lot of money, but you are trying to rationalize not paying them.

As it has been said over and over, eating in the MDR has nothing to do with who gets the dining part of the gratuities. The waiters that work in the windjammer for breakfast, lunch and dinner also share those grats. A tidy room means little to your cabin steward. Most do not actually move your belongings, in fact they try not to. 90% of their time is spent in the bathroom and making beds. More passengers = more sheets and towels.

I understand it is not inexpensive to vacation, but respectfully disagree with you point.

We are worried about the staff that don’t get their tip when the auto gratuities are removed. And it’s our right to do so. Yes the room steward and dining staff you can see them and tip them. But the behind the scenes staff get shafted. And I’m very chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's nice of you! Are you their manager? Their mother? Yup, that's what I thought. Don't count other people's money.

LOL...Okay. Thanks for the response. :) Sorry to admit that I struggle with paying $750-1000 on gratuities for a week's vacation. Not because I can't afford it or because I don't do it. Because it seems out of balance for one week, like I suggested.

Not sure what type of cabin you have. My math for 4 passengers would be $486 total. Regular cabins pay $13.50 per person, per day. That's $121.50 per person for a week times four is $486. Suites do pay higher, but certainly not $1000 for the week.

This is already what happens. Gratuities automatically charged, essentially part of the fare... they cry, whine, and stomp their feet to guest services to have them removed!!! Screw the disadvantaged workers who sweat for them! They can save $13.50/day!!!!!!

And.....for that $13.50 a day, they received:

Courteous service,

Daily stateroom cleaning,

Removal of dirty dishes and glasses,

Beds made,

Extra pillows (upon request)

Daily bathroom cleaning,

Fresh clean towels in the bathroom,

Garbage cans emptied,

Ice (upon request)

Extra drinking glasses (upon request)

Meals, (MDR and/or Buffet service)

On deck BBQ's,

Entertainment,

Wake up calls (if requested)

Television,

Safe,

Assistance with embarking and disembarking (disabled passengers)

Alas, as a "Thank You", there are always those passengers who demand Guest Services REMOVE all daily gratuities...... at the end of their cruise!!!-????

Excuse my French, but that's __________ (fill in the blanks)

:mad::mad: & :mad::mad:

Edited by oldguysandgalls

LOL...Okay. Thanks for the response. :) Sorry to admit that I struggle with paying $750-1000 on gratuities for a week's vacation. Not because I can't afford it or because I don't do it. Because it seems out of balance for one week, like I suggested.

If you think it's a struggle, it's because you can't afford it. That's totally fine, but maybe you should consider vacations that you can afford or maybe a shorter cruise than 9 days?

I'm not sure how $500 (now it's $750 - $1000 and only 1 week instead of 9 days for dramatic effect, I get it...) --- but I'm not sure how $13.50/day is "out of balance" for the very high volume of service a passenger receives on a cruise ship. I think it's beyond cheap considering how much service you get.

And by the way, not only were you rationalizing it before by suggesting you didn't eat that much and hey, their just kids.... but now you are embellishing your story to try and rationalize it even more. You aren't fooling anyone.

If you think it's a struggle, it's because you can't afford it. That's totally fine, but maybe you should consider vacations that you can afford or maybe a shorter cruise than 9 days?

:rolleyes: Hurry everyone, the gratuity police are here! I think you've had enough internet for today honey. Time to go back to your day job so you can afford those long cruises and all those gratuities! I mean, you're counting people's money on an Internet forum? Who do you think you are? Disgusting.

I'm not sure how $500 (now it's $750 - $1000 and only 1 week instead of 9 days for dramatic effect, I get it...) --- but I'm not sure how $13.50/day is "out of balance" for the very high volume of service a passenger receives on a cruise ship. I think it's beyond cheap considering how much service you get.

And by the way, not only were you rationalizing it before by suggesting you didn't eat that much and hey, their just kids.... but now you are embellishing your story to try and rationalize it even more. You aren't fooling anyone.

Odd. If you actually take the time to read what I have written, I said that it is $500 PLUS bags, valet, gratuities for drinks, etc. Yes, this comes to $750-$1000 for a week's vacation. THAT is a lot of money. It really isn't your business whether or not I can afford it, to be honest. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I was pretty clear...I find it out of whack. There is no other kind of vacation that I have ever taken where I have spent that kind of money on gratuity. I didn't find the gratuity out of whack when we traveled with just two of us. When we travel as a family of four, yes, I find it to be quite a lot. Aren't these message boards designed for helpful discussion? Lesson learned.

Odd. If you actually take the time to read what I have written, I said that it is $500 PLUS bags, valet, gratuities for drinks, etc. Yes, this comes to $750-$1000 for a week's vacation. THAT is a lot of money. It really isn't your business whether or not I can afford it, to be honest. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I was pretty clear...I find it out of whack. There is no other kind of vacation that I have ever taken where I have spent that kind of money on gratuity. I didn't find the gratuity out of whack when we traveled with just two of us. When we travel as a family of four, yes, I find it to be quite a lot. Aren't these message boards designed for helpful discussion? Lesson learned.

Yes, cruising as a family of four can be very expensive but please remember, the memories of a family vacation are not measured in gratuities.

Memories are priceless....

Hopefully your tipping budget will be less than you are anticipating. Basically you are saying $500 for four people for the standard billed tips of $13.50 per person, per day, plus an additional $500 in "other tips." That's an awful lot of miscellaneous tipping - can't imagine spending that much in extra tips - and I cruise/travel frequently. Hopefully you won't need to spend that much on additional tips. Enjoy your cruise.

Hopefully your tipping budget will be less than you are anticipating. Basically you are saying $500 for four people for the standard billed tips of $13.50 per person, per day, plus an additional $500 in "other tips." That's an awful lot of miscellaneous tipping - can't imagine spending that much in extra tips - and I cruise/travel frequently. Hopefully you won't need to spend that much on additional tips. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, Grandma. It is $120 per person for gratuity on our 9 day cruise. That's near $500 before we even step foot on the boat. We typically spend $500-750 on beverages. That is an additional $100-$150 in gratuities. We do valet and tip. Uber there and tip. Uber back and tip. The guy who helps you take your bag out of your car. And of course, if people are going out of their way, you want to tip them more generously. Maybe $1000 is high. But $750 is certainly not out out of the question when all is said and done. Not to mention airport tipping. Everytime I think about it, I come up with more tips that I give out. I guess I just wish I could look at each service, each experience and tip accordingly. Maybe it's a control issue. Ha ha.

Ok - first off, let me say I've always prepaid my tips, and tip extra in the restaurant, bars and room steward. However - as long as Royal are happy to play the game of making gratuities optional to get around their responsibilities to their staff, then customers have the right to remove this optional payment (some folk above seem to struggle with the fact that discretionary = optional).

And from the list posted above about the services included...

Courteous service - - matter of opinion

Daily stateroom cleaning - - agreed

Removal of dirty dishes and glasses - - not for everyone

Beds made - - agreed, but part of 'state room cleaning'

Extra pillows (upon request) - - not for everyone

Daily bathroom cleaning, - - agreed, but part of 'state room cleaning'

Fresh clean towels in the bathroom, - - agreed, but part of 'state room cleaning'

Garbage cans emptied, - - agreed, but part of 'state room cleaning'

Ice (upon request)- - not for everyone

Extra drinking glasses (upon request)- - not for everyone

Meals, (MDR and/or Buffet service). - - why would I tip at a buffet ? Self serve/clear.

On deck BBQ's, - - never seen this

Entertainment - - not covered by tips, part of the fare

Wake up calls (if requested)- - not for everyone

Television - - not a service, a zero on the tip scale

Safe,- - - - not a service, a zero on the tip scale