Live from the Ruby Princess!

Coffeeluvr05

I'll be on a Ruby Princess cruise in less than a week. So, I am quite interested in Coffeluvr's experience. Normally, I would click on the "Thread Tools" link and subscribe to the thread. However, that link doesn't appear to be working today on this thread. So, I am making this totally uninformative post to see if that gets me subscribed.

Actually this is an informative post. Based on the number of people who post just to say "following," it seems like a lot don't know they can subscribe under Thread Tools.

Hope you enjoy your Ruby cruise, and Coffeeluvr too.

Jim

Actually this is an informative post. Based on the number of people who post just to say "following," it seems like a lot don't know they can subscribe under Thread Tools.

Hope you enjoy your Ruby cruise, and Coffeeluvr too.

Jim

I suppose I should further report that the Thread Tools link is fixed. Apparently, the Board Search link was also broken. Obviously, there was a common cause for these breakages. So, they were repaired simultaneously.

Rest assured, Jim. I will have a great cruise.

If you are able to post the menus, we would appreciate it.

We like to book a speciality restaurant for one night and try to find the night without our favorites in the MDR.

Thanks and enjoy your cruise

Christie

I was able to get menus! I just need to take the time to scan them. I also have all the patters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do they use the same menu for the same night on every cruise? Like the first sea day is Formal menu, the first port day menu is the same each cruise. Seems like it would be pretty hard to predict which menu items will be which night until you actually board.

More thoughts...

I know I’ve seen some posts of late that mention limits on multiple entrees in the MDR. We had no issues with multiple of the various courses. Seriously though, I recall being truly hungry only one time. As I type this I also still have the sensation of being on a moving cruise ship. All first world problems.

Loved the various game shows! The cruise director and his staff work tirelessly to make it a hilarious food tike! That being said, Duke the cruise director...I didn’t always appreciate his kind of “funny”. Pretty sure his behavior is considered sexual harassment by U.S. standards. Not asking for anyone to validate my opinion. Just sharing my point of view.

The wait staff and room steward...just excellent! They work so hard to make sure we have the best experience possible!

Favorite places to be on the ship were the aft adult only pool area and Skywalkers lounge during the day. Both were quieter places to be if you prefer that. If you walk all the way through the buffet and through cafe caribe, you’ll end up there. We found a little friend that apparently was a stowaway from San Pedro through the whole cruise. Did a little research and found out he is a Katydid and is indigenous to California. Never seen one before this though!

Oh! So the City Highlights tour in Puerto Vallarta was decent except for the non-working AC on the bus! We were all so hot and sweaty but we still enjoyed the sights. I’m not a fan of being dumped strategically at shopping spots that are obviously getting the tour guide a kick back. Didn’t even enter the store made to look like a real mine. We experienced none of that while

On our tours in Europe with Princess last April.

Mazatlán City highlights tour was good. AC worked very well on the tour bus and it was a much more relaxing experience. Still got dumped at a jewelry store where we took advantage of their restroom. With hesitation I grabbed a complimentary margarita. Yuck! One sip and I was done. We went next door to a little outdoor restaurant and had a snack. An observation: We have better Mexican food here in the states by Mexican immigrants and the prices are better here too. Prices seemed higher than any other visit I’ve had in Mexico.

We didn’t get off the ship in Cabo and just had a leisurely day on board. Lots of people seemed to have chosen that. I wish there was a swim platform on the ship when it is anchored for those of us who just want to take a dip in the sea without going to a beach to do so. It would be a quick dip for me. You know...sharks! lol

There was a comedian on board (name escapes me at the moment but is in the patters I will post later). He was just ok. He seemed to go off on a tangent in his last performance. We had way better comedians on the CB in Europe.

The Princess Theater shows were all pretty good. Nothing super notable but they were good.

The buffet was way better on the Ruby than the CB. I tend to avoid buffets but did try it on embarkation day and one other day at lunch. Trident grill is definitely not as good as the outdoor burger place in the CB. The CB has the Salty Dog grill and I thought it was just a name thing but it is much better as well. Not to be confused with the Salty Dog Gastropub which has an extra charge.

The soft serve on the Ruby is different and not as good as the soft serve at coffee & cones on the CB.

Sorry for all the comparisons. Just my thoughts as I recall our two only Princess experiences. I see now why people have preferences of certain ships.

Gelato in the IC is not gelato. It’s not worth paying for or eating, IMO. If you like regular ice cream you may like it.

That’s all I have for now.

Just realized I can’t attached the pic of the stowaway. Will add later. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

About the number of kids onboard, I understand that Princess caps the number of kids on these family/holiday cruises.

There are reports of people who want to add another unexpected family member, who cannot, even though the bed is there.

It would be interesting if somebody wanted to contact Princess for the official info.

Here is a PDF of the menus from last week...Enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k5PrPNJcVSkRHYWEKzGgWH4BI_F8MwR4/view?usp=sharing

I hope this works!

Thanks so much - we are back on the Ruby in January - we did the inaugural on her back in 2008 and loved the ship! I am hungry just reading the menu's!

Quick question on Formal nights - did you see many Tuxes and Gowns/Cocktail dresses? DH really likes dressing up in his Tux and I like the formal nights as well - being retired it's our only chance to "glam it up" - just wondering if people are still "dressing up" or has it diminished on Princess? On our last Celebrity cruise they had "done away" with formal nights now called "Chic nite".. most people just wore dressy casual.

A couple of tips as I glance through this board. We also disembarked the Ruby on 11-11. 1) The main dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day and it was a very good meal. Those directing us as we got on the ship insisted that it was not open, but I decided to check it out any way. Not the first time this has happened. 2) This was our first cruise with Princess in quite some time, the 'formal' nights are more relaxed. I brought and wore a suit & tie the 1st formal night. I noticed the gentleman sitting next to me had a jacket and jeans on. The 2nd formal night I did not wear a tie and the 4 men at our table also did not wear them. Next cruise I will only bring a jacket. 3) On the 2nd formal night they had Lobster Tail and Beef Wellington (two of my favorites), I had no problem ordering the Lobster as an appetizer and the Beef Wellington as the main course.

A couple of tips as I glance through this board. We also disembarked the Ruby on 11-11. 1) The main dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day and it was a very good meal. Those directing us as we got on the ship insisted that it was not open, but I decided to check it out any way. Not the first time this has happened. 2) This was our first cruise with Princess in quite some time, the 'formal' nights are more relaxed. I brought and wore a suit & tie the 1st formal night. I noticed the gentleman sitting next to me had a jacket and jeans on. The 2nd formal night I did not wear a tie and the 4 men at our table also did not wear them. Next cruise I will only bring a jacket. 3) On the 2nd formal night they had Lobster Tail and Beef Wellington (two of my favorites), I had no problem ordering the Lobster as an appetizer and the Beef Wellington as the main course.

What is the name of the dining room that was open? Which deck and area?

Thanks

My wife and I were on the same cruise as Coffeluvr05. I must say that for 800 kids on board, we weren't too bothered by the little 'uns. (OK, there are always complete brats around, but we seemed to have missed them. We only got off the boat late afternoon in PV to do the sunset sail and stayed on board the rest of the time.

I had no issue ordering my surf and turf (beef Wellington and a lobster tail) on formal night (and I was in my tux too) and the waiter brought them out at the same time too which was nice.

We did try Share on the last night as it was offered at a 2nd anniversary price of $29. Cant say that I would do it again and I would have felt robbed if I'd paid the usual price of $39. We were also a little disappointed to see that they only had the British pub lunch one one sea day. We've done this cruise a few times and they usually have the pub lunch twice during the week.

Princess are definitely enforcing the 15 drink limit on the drinks package (not from personal experience mind you... just overhearing conversations)

Now that we've reloaded on the FCD, it's off to book the MR again, but this time on the Royal for 2019