"Use of your smartphone" not included in price of cruise

JackieSea

Hey there!

On Carnival's FAQ website it has a list of things that are not included in the price of your cruise, and while "internet" and "phone calls" are on there, so is "use of your smartphone". Does anyone know what this means? Are they just reiterating that there's no phone or internet service, even using data on your phone, or are they saying that there's an extra charge to have a smartphone? I hope this is a dumb question and everyone will say "obviously you're allowed to bring your phone on board and use it for non-internet/data/calls" but want to double check that it's just me being overly cautious and I won't get an extra charge for taking photos with my iPhone :)

Here's the FAQ page:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3861/~/what-does-the-price-of-my-cruise-include%3F

Feel free to bring your smart phone. No restrictions. I suggest loading the Carnival Hub app onto your phone. You will have access to alot of information at your finger tips. Think of it as a digital fun times and alot more. Just put your phone in airplane mode and connect to the Carnival wifi for free. You can also purchase a internet package and you will have access to social media, web and mail for a fee. Different packages are offered.

If you leave your data ON. It will hooked with the ships satellite service.

People have $1000 cell phone charges when they get home. Every time it down loads a email it’s like $5. If you turn off data. And hook up with ship WiFi and used on of there plans you kno the cost.

Airplane mode is a must. But do use the HUB app. You can check your S&S account, dining room menus, and happenings around the ship. It will also give you ship's time, which may or may not be the same time as the port you are in. We were on the Dream out of New Orleans to Key West, Freeport, and Nassau. The ship stayed on Central time during the entire cruise, even though all three ports were, obviously, on Eastern.

I will also add, if your port(s) are in the GREAT US of A well then you would be able to use your smart phone in port just as if you were at home. Like what was said above while on the ship; its Airplane mode and Carnival Hub app. This is so you do not have to carry the Fun Times paper around you will have all the days activities plus much more at your finger tips. Lastly, make sure you download the app prior to your cruise and have FUN, FUN, FUN :cool:.

I will also add, if your port(s) are in the GREAT US of A well then you would be able to use your smart phone in port just as if you were at home. :cool:.

Verizon has a plan that allows your normal data/text/calls for a flat $5 charge for Mexico and Canada. It works in Cozumel :)

Verizon has a plan that allows your normal data/text/calls for a flat $5 charge for Mexico and Canada. It works in Cozumel :)

AT&T will let you use your phone (at least in the Bahamas) for $10 per 24 hours per line. You just have to set it up beforehand by calling. The nice thing about it is if you don't use it, you don't get charged.

I know for Verizon customers, Verizon does not have a international calling plan on the ships anymore. They did up to a little over a year ago but when Cellular at Sea, aka AT&T cause thats who owns them, they raised their lease and usage rates for other carriers and Verizon said forget it and did not renew their lease with Cellular at Sea. Back in April 2016 when i was on Splendor cruise we had a international package through Verizon for that month it gave us cell service on the ship for up to 100 mins call and 100 sent texts and unlimited receive texts and then only 100 mb of data. Our next months bill had no extra charges or surprises other then the $40 monthly internatinal rate so it was kinda nice but since then Verizon and Cellular at Sea dont see eye to eye and no service package is available for Verizon customers. BUT!!! Verizon does now have WiFi texting and Wifi calling on most all phones and works on most any plan but I do not know about the pay as you go ones. Simply put phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi and purchase at lease the value wifi plan on the ship and your regular texts work through the ships wifi. to make a call you have to go into advance calling in options/settings and turn on wifi calling. again keep it in airplane mode and wifi on.

Verizon phones can make a call on the ships cell tower but at a rate of $2.99 a minute and then Verizon will also charge international rates, roaming charges and who know what else and from what I hear can add up to about $6 a minute for a call. The phone in your stateroom will make calls at $1.99 a minute and charges to your S&S card

If you leave your phone in normal/data on or not in airplane mode and you dont have a international plan that works on the ships tower then you will find a big surprise in your next months cell bill. several apps on your phone like weather apps, email, automatic updates for apps, location services for MANY apps, time zone updates, the list goes on and on. this all uses cell data and roaming charges through the ships tower. you may not get or make 1 phone call or text message but when you get your next months bill, you will have a surprise.

AT&T will let you use your phone (at least in the Bahamas) for $10 per 24 hours per line. You just have to set it up beforehand by calling. The nice thing about it is if you don't use it, you don't get charged.

It worked in Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel and Mahogany Bay too. I set it up online through my account. We didn't end up using it though because I got the social plan which is all DW needed (and it was $35 for the week versus $40 for 4 days).

It worked in Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel and Mahogany Bay too. I set it up online through my account. We didn't end up using it though because I got the social plan which is all DW needed (and it was $35 for the week versus $40 for 4 days).

AT&T is land based only for 410 a day including text and data. Having AT&T on land is Apples to Oranges compared to CCL's social plan, which is not full interent

I have T-Mobile and use my phone in Mexican ports as if I am the US. I get unlimited free calling and texting just like at home and each line gets 5GB of data for free in Mexico.

I take the phone out of airplane mode once the ship is docked and within minutes I get the Welcome to Mexico text. I put it back in Airplane mode before the ship sails.

I have T-Mobile and use my phone in Mexican ports as if I am the US. I get unlimited free calling and texting just like at home and each line gets 5GB of data for free in Mexico.

I take the phone out of airplane mode once the ship is docked and within minutes I get the Welcome to Mexico text. I put it back in Airplane mode before the ship sails.

Same plan and rules for us, also in the Bahamas and Cayman Islands, among most other countries.

AT&T is land based only for 410 a day including text and data. Having AT&T on land is Apples to Oranges compared to CCL's social plan, which is not full interent

This is true but if one only needs access to something like facetome (like my DW) then the social plan fits the bill. Fortunately there are options to cover just about everyone's needs (I personally like the nothing included option since I can just turn my phone off and leave it in the safe:D).