Why board so early

Erikamac

sorry ;)

That's ok. We'll be back on the Infinity again September 2018 out of Vancouver. We'll be onboard early, like always. I added the last sentence so not to get in trouble for veering off course of the subject.:cool:

Edited by davekathy

My last cruise I worked until noon and walked down to the pier to board Solstice. Would you have opted to stay at the office or board the ship and start putting your drink package to work?

Forgot that, for the first time ever, I have a drink package. Definitely boarding early!!!

Don't let other's opinion sway what you do. Go when you want to, just make sure it's within the cutoff time.

Having said that we're in the group that likes to get on as soon as possible.

It's Day 1 of my cruise so I'm boarding as early as I can. I usually have my swimsuit with me so I can grab a lounge chair by the pool, get a cocktail and forget about the "real" world. I also prefer to get there early to beat the mad rush and long lines that usually happen in the noon to 2pm time frame. The buffet is usually empty if you get on early so you can grab some grub without searching for a table to sit at.

We are flying in 2 days early. Climbing the harbor bridge, having dinner at the opera house at Benelong. I just can't see getting on that early

Then don't - that's clearly your choice. But many of us enjoy being on board early to have lunch, perhaps relax at a lounge or outside by a pool, or just enjoy being on board wandering around the ship for our first day of the cruise. Day one begins when you board and is included in the cruise fare, so why not enjoy it on the the ship? Again, personal choice.

So enjoy your day, however you chose to spend it, as we will enjoy ours.

Not a fan of boarding early just to sit an wait with luggage. We usually fly to the port city the day of so it's a non issue since boarding usually started at 11-12ish an the plane lands around that time.

I would never take that chance to fly in the day of...missed connection, delays, late luggage, weather.....way too risky.

As for luggage...why would you drag it around? Curbside check in for luggage. I have never dragged it around the ship for hours and love watching those that do trying to huff it all around the pool deck and buffets.

As for the OP's questions.....I think its a combo of they want boarding to go smoothly and they want people onboard to start spending money.

I am always early to the port and like to be first on the ship. Great time to explore and get familiar with the ship, take some pics while its nice and clean and empty, enjoy my drink package.

I guess if your bored or not excited about your cruise, no rush to get on to start enjoying it early though!

Just got my cruise documents and it has suggested board times based on floor...I never noticed this before with Celebrity. it says 12:30-1:30 for us but the boat doesn't leave until 6:30!?!?! why would I want to get on that early...usually it is 2-3 hrs before leaving.

I see both sides. I think it depends heavily on the departure port. We boarded later the last time we cruised out of San Juan, so we could explore the old city before getting on the ship. As you said, we couldn't dump our carry-on bags in the room until after 1:30, and didn't want to be dragging them around. However, on our February 2018 cruise leaving out of San Juan, we'll likely board earlier. Given the storm damage, we probably won't spend as much time sight-seeing, so we'll get on the ship and enjoy our "free" lunch.

I can certainly see taking your time getting on the ship if there are interesting things to explore at the departure port. You're essentially adding another port to your cruise! But if the departure port has little to offer, why not just get on the ship right after arriving from the airport or checking out of your pre-cruise hotel?

Enjoy!:cool:

Then don't - that's clearly your choice. But many of us enjoy being on board early to have lunch, perhaps relax at a lounge or outside by a pool, or just enjoy being on board wandering around the ship for our first day of the cruise. Day one begins when you board and is included in the cruise fare, so why not enjoy it on the the ship? Again, personal choice.

So enjoy your day, however you chose to spend it, as we will enjoy ours.

Agree.

Not a fan of boarding early just to sit an wait with luggage. We usually fly to the port city the day of so it's a non issue since boarding usually started at 11-12ish an the plane lands around that time.

I got my best cruise deal a few years back because of someone like you!

I live in Florida and a huge blizzard hit the East Coast. I called HAL and asked if they had last minute cancellations. They gave me 2/3 off the price and I had a great last minute vacation. Packing the bags, gassing the car, and down to Ft. Lauderdale and on the ship 3 hours later.

Keep on doing what you do! Maybe I can get another super cheap cruise - from you!

It's a cruise, get me on the ship as early as possible, after flying and airport hassle once I'm onboard I immediately relax.

Ditto this exactly. My trip and focus is the cruise ... period. Getting there for many is not such an easy venture and poking around at some of the departure ports with a tiny amount of time is not necessarily exciting. Of course the departure port might make a huge difference in how early one might want to board, Miami has been a repeat for me. Cost just to eat there is enough to make me want to board and not have to pay for a meal that first day.

Get me to the ship, let me step on and feel my body instantly calm. That is when the vacation truly begins for me. Even watching/reading others reviews, it is when they get to the part where they board the ship that makes me smile as I can feel the excitement.

Lifes choices.

Edited to add that I am glad that not everyone wants to board immediately, that makes that early time on the ship even better as it is even calmer before the masses and a good time to take pictures.