Viking dress code

Srguppy

Wow, friendly(?) fifer, hope you feel better now. I considered a number of zinger responses to match yours, but decided that this serves absolutely no constructive purpose. Let's agree to disagree, and you're welcome at our table any time.

Wow, friendly(?) fifer, hope you feel better now. I considered a number of zinger responses to match yours, but decided that this serves absolutely no constructive purpose. Let's agree to disagree, and you're welcome at our table any time.

Beautiful. Very nice response.

Okay, Jiminy and Stretch, you're still on the hook for at least four rounds of included drinks.

I’m finding this all very amusing. And the likelihood that anybody’s going to actually collect on these “free rounds”???? Not saying that I don’t hope you will. But still.....[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m finding this all very amusing. And the likelihood that anybody’s going to actually collect on these “free rounds”???? Not saying that I don’t hope you will. But still.....[emoji1]

Ahhh, you gotta love "virtual reality", right?? And who knows, we may all meet up on a cruise some day (of course, we have no idea who each other is in "real" life!)

But, in that vein, our next cruises are the Viking Empires of the Mediterranean, May 12, 2018 and Viking Eastern Seaboard, October 6, 2018. Anyone else on these trips??? Anyone?? Anyone??

We have been on 4 Viking cruises and will soon go on the 5th. We have always dressed very casually--blue jeans and t-shirts. Now I see that the Star is requiring all evening venues to have men wear trousers--no jeans. I probably need to upgrade my image--but I think this is new. Does this new rule get enforced? Will I be asked to leave the casual World Cafe if I wear jeans?

World Cafe you can wear jeans - but not with holes in them . The Restaurant and the speciality restaurants you need slacks

World Cafe you can wear jeans - but not with holes in them . The Restaurant and the speciality restaurants you need slacks

We are currently on the Viking Sky. In the Restaurant at dinner we see many people, including my wife, wearing jeans. No one has commented. I have seen people wearing shorts to dinner at the buffet.

Nippy Sweetie:

Perhaps your concerns would be mollified with the fact that the Viking Sky is currently in the Caribbean....On the other hand, I've seen Grateful Dead t-shirts in the World Cafe at dinner when we were in Norway. Not something I would wear, but it made me smile.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Edited by Richard2
Improper spelling

You know, there are several ways to respond to a nasty post, one of which is just not to reply at all. But for the sake of answering the original question, Viking does now indeed have language saying no jeans and no shirts without a collar, but my experience on board as of six weeks ago is that Viking at no time during our cruise enforced that policy and no one was ever turned away, that I saw, anyway.

Sante Fe, could you please specify where this language is found? We leave in a few days and I had planned to trim the load and leave the dressy pants at home and plan to wear nice black jeans and semi-dressy sweaters to dinners. If there is indeed language that specifies NO JEANS we will adhere to the policy or plan on cancelling our dining reservations and stick with the World Café. I understand that they might not adhere to the policy at all times but don't want to plan to "break the rules".

If you go back to the early posts, see numbers 13-16. I just checked the actual website, and it says nothing about jeans. But apparently people with travel docs for upcoming trips have that language. But again, I never saw anyone in jeans turned away from the dining room, and I'm sure your black jeans would be fine. I took black dress pants and changed tops, but I suspect nobody would know if your black pants were "jeans."

Sante Fe, could you please specify where this language is found? We leave in a few days and I had planned to trim the load and leave the dressy pants at home and plan to wear nice black jeans and semi-dressy sweaters to dinners. If there is indeed language that specifies NO JEANS we will adhere to the policy or plan on cancelling our dining reservations and stick with the World Café. I understand that they might not adhere to the policy at all times but don't want to plan to "break the rules".

Page 6 of our cruise docs, the last line in the section on Dress on Board says no jeans. However, I'm with SantaFe, black pants are black pants. See you next week.

Page 6 of our cruise docs, the last line in the section on Dress on Board says no jeans. However, I'm with SantaFe, black pants are black pants. See you next week.

We are doing a West Indies Explorer cruise in March. When in the Caribbean, I usually wear white instead of my usual black pants (although I often bring a pair of black pants just in case). The pants could be classified as jeans because the fabric is a light weight denim, but they don't have pockets or the usual contrast stitching. I don't consider them jeans. I'm guessing that the black jeans would fall into that same in between, grey area.

I do think it contributes to the overall ambiance of a dining venue if people are dressed nicely. I think the whole brouhaha over jeans comes because some people don't quite get that there are jeans, and then there are jeans that best belong in the yard or the construction site ;p If someone is clean, and neat and wears their jeans with a bit of panache - have at it :)

I do think the cruise lines put that in their "rules" so they can rule out the garden and construction variety. I'm more interested in the food, than I am in what people are wearing anyway - mostly! :cool:

There is usually a similar flap over flip flops - again 2 varieties. There are the ones you wear on the beach or in a gym shower and there are really nice ones, often made of leather, that are in effect sandals.

I mostly try to stick within the rules/guidelines, but I do reserve the right to interpret :halo:

Ditto for me. Coming back from a tour very late and pushing the end of dinner time I just shot up to the World Cafe as was - including hiking boots. Nobody cared.

Thanks for the info. I had been thinking about trying Viking.

Backing up Cyber Kat: there are jeans and there are denim pants. Jeans in good condition should be fine in the World Cafe. Denim pants in good condition might be fine in the other restaurants. The only fashion police I’ve experienced are on these boards. Let’s not spend vacation time (although some of the most critical folks seem to be professional cruisers) judging how others dress. Maybe they spent their hard earned money on the cruise fare. And 57eric, you absolutely must “try it”! ;-)

Thanks for the info. I had been thinking about trying Viking.

Yes yes yes! Do try it! Somewhere here there’s a wonderful post that covers a slew of “why Viking?” questions. You should check it out. Am sure Peregrina, who follows this forum assiduously, can provide the link.