Viking dress code

Srguppy

Let me be more clear. I HAD been thinking about trying Viking. Track suits at dinner for $600 pppd? I'll look elsewhere.

We were on for two weeks. Not once did we see "track suits" at dinner. I'm sorry that you feel the need not to try Viking because of one dress code thread. Every cruise line has this type of argument. There will always be the fashion police on Cruise Critic. I do know not to be alarmed.

Let me be more clear. I HAD been thinking about trying Viking. Track suits at dinner for $600 pppd? I'll look elsewhere.

Hey, guys. It's his money. Let him spend it any way he wants. Viking's laid-back atmosphere is not for everyone and if he has already decided that he isn't going to be happy, why are we bothering (other than to correct the misconception, that is).

I have to ask if I’m the only one who thinks “elegant casual” is a bit of an oxymoron? I have heard the term “smart casual” and I think that makes more sense IMO anyway. Probably just semantics, but for me elegant and casual don’t work together.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to ask if I’m the only one who thinks “elegant casual” is a bit of an oxymoron? I have heard the term “smart casual” and I think that makes more sense IMO anyway. Probably just semantics, but for me elegant and casual don’t work together.

Semantics or not, my problem is that, try as I might, I just can't get the elegant part to work, not even at a black tie event.

Semantics or not, my problem is that, try as I might, I just can't get the elegant part to work, not even at a black tie event.

To me those two words together are somewhat incongruous. They just don’t belong together. Casual is just not elegant. Smart casual means don’t be a slob [emoji12]. But I’m just not sure what elegant casual means.

Basically, I just go with clothes that make me feel good. And I always think I look good. Others may not agree [emoji12]

Whenever I see someone dressed in a way that makes me wonder if they looked in a mirror, I wonder if they think the same about me! [emoji15]

I think the definition of elegant (restrained tasteful luxurious) implies a sort of taste level, which may be what VO is aiming for.

In the Caribbean it would be a man wearing linen pants with a silk shirt. At least that what I envision when I hear casual elegant. Hiking pants with a golf shirt would be more of a smart casual look.

Both collared shirts with long pants.

But it is all semantics and dress codes will always be open to some degree of interpretation.

Not touching the jeans issue other than to say VO needs to have their website in alignment with their docs. Not right that they have conflicting information in the docs.

I think the definition of elegant (restrained tasteful luxurious) implies a sort of taste level, which may be what VO is aiming for.

In the Caribbean it would be a man wearing linen pants with a silk shirt. At least that what I envision when I hear casual elegant. Hiking pants with a golf shirt would be more of a smart casual look.

Both collared shirts with long pants.

But it is all semantics and dress codes will always be open to some degree of interpretation.

Not touching the jeans issue other than to say VO needs to have their website in alignment with their docs. Not right that they have conflicting information in the docs.

Taste level is not really what I mean---I think of dressier fabrics (silk, linen) in casual cuts when I think casual elegant. Did not mean that smart casual is not tasteful!

Here is another example of the conflicting information...I was one of those persons who was surprised to find the “No Jeans” rule in my travel docs after reading for months how casual Viking is...so we opted to leave our darker dressier jeans at home....only to get onboard and the dress code in the Viking Daily makes no mention of the “No Jean” rule, that is in our docs. Why the inconsistencies?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After having my first cruise (on the Sky) and being in the under-40 crowd, as well as making an attempt to follow the rules, we were a bit cautious after noticing the “no jeans” line.

Jeans/denim, and some twill pants designed in a jeans fashion, have such a broad range of styles and level of classiness, this rule is bound to offend someone, in some way. We packed light, and I had 1 pair of black slacks, and my husband had a pair of dark convertible pants (well-fitting, not baggy work pants), and we ended up wearing them to every sit-down meal. Looking around, there were plenty of men in collared shirts and non-jean pants that looked downright sloppy. Also some ladies in resort wear that was barely a step above a swimsuit coverup. I asked the reservation desk person (on the Sky) what the evening dress code was for the buffet, and he shrugged a bit and said, “Well, ehhh jus’ no (pantomimes a tank top)” so I said, “oh ok, so no poolwear?” he nodded yes, yes.

So I wore the same black pants each night we had sit-down, and alternated between a loose sequined sweater and a square-necked pressed t-shirt with jewelry. We don’t attend the evening shows, so that wasn’t a concern for us.

I make the note about our age because the semi-formal dining standards 40 years ago simply aren’t the same as they are today. So if you are more comfortable style-wise in a blazer and slacks, great! If you simply don’t own a blazer, just try to look nice! I think that’s what it boils down to in the end for the waitstaff. If they think you’re a wreck, then they can split hairs with you about whether or not your pants are considered jeans.

If we book again in the future I will have a much better idea of what to pack considering each venue we may visit.

Just like parochial school rules for us, when the middle school boys questioned why they must wear blazers in class, the answer was “If you dress the part, hopefully you will act the part.” :halo:

Why are folks still obsessing over this issue? Let's give it a rest. Unless you enjoy this. [emoji79]

Char, on the other hand, at least the conversation is all in one place and we can avoid the topic if we want. I read it for a laugh--and because you really get to know who's who.

Just like parochial school rules for us, when the middle school boys questioned why they must wear blazers in class, the answer was “If you dress the part, hopefully you will act the part.” :halo:

And then there's me, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." :evilsmile:

Char, on the other hand, at least the conversation is all in one place and we can avoid the topic if we want. I read it for a laugh--and because you really get to know who's who.

[emoji1]. And a Merry Christmas to you! Wherever you are. Can't tell if you're cruising or back at home. Here's it right at freezing and 20F with the wind chill (wind advisory too).

I just checked in my cruise documents for both our upcoming and our 2016 cruise and darned if you aren't right. They have now added the words "No jeans allowed." Time for a rebellion.

Rebellion probably wouldn't accomplish anything as Viking aspires to become a "premium" cruise line.

Of course, one has to chuckle at "elegant casual"- quite the oxymoron. As with other elements of the Viking "wannabe" experience, it falls short of ultra-premium Oceania's well balanced dress rule called "country club casual." Hard not to be clear about what is a reasonable range of clothing options.

It is very revealing of the attitudes of the various posters. I also think it is way too much ado about how other people SHOULD look as they dine. But as you said, it does keep this to one thread, thank God.

Alas, this forum has miles to go to be in the big league of SS , Seabourn or Crystal and their endless threads of the dress codes and their interpretation. LOL

I am waiting for the endless critique of the lectures on board , whether you find them informative for a well educated or curious traveller or not? ;)

Rebellion probably wouldn't accomplish anything as Viking aspires to become a "premium" cruise line.

Of course, one has to chuckle at "elegant casual"- quite the oxymoron. As with other elements of the Viking "wannabe" experience, it falls short of ultra-premium Oceania's well balanced dress rule called "country club casual." Hard not to be clear about what is a reasonable range of clothing options.

I'm not part of the country club scene, have never been to one and have no interest in joining one, so I find the "country club casual" moniker to be useless. I'm glad Viking has decided not to use the term because I have no idea what it means.

It's nice to mark dinner by making a bit of an effort to change at least into fresh clothes after a day out touring. We won't even be packing one pair of jeans far less considering them appropriate for evening wear. I'm glad Viking endorses our opinion. I think some but not all Americans have a different perspective on jeans and sometimes struggle to understand us Europeans.

Perhaps Europeans struggle to understand Americans. Yes , some of us enjoy wearing jeans when we eat out. That’s because it’s the food that impresses us and not the clothing that others wear.

I'm not part of the country club scene, have never been to one and have no interest in joining one, so I find the "country club casual" moniker to be useless. I'm glad Viking has decided not to use the term because I have no idea what it means.

Basically, if you're a "boomer" or close to it, the meaning is "preppy." For men: khakis, button down shirt, deck shoes and maybe even a blazer at your discretion (you know the drill).