Viking dress code

Srguppy

I care! 'Elegant casual' could never be interpreted to include jeans. It would take one minute to change out of jeans and into a smart pair of trousers. If passengers can't do this then they must be really tired and should consider dining in their suite. Viking have stated what the dress code is and I hope they enforce it.

One of the reasons we chose Viking over some other line is because of the casual dress code. I don’t mind getting spiffied up for dinner, but we are retired and my husband has put all that behind him. I’m in the “every girl’s crazy ‘bout a sharp dressed man,” camp, but c’st la vie. Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff.

Anyway ... there are jeans, and there are jeans. Some are faded and worn with some rips and tears (quite often right off the store shelves with hefty price tags) and others are quite respectable, clean and neat dark denim - trousers, in effect made of denim fabric. I have no problem with the latter worn anywhere with a nice shirt. I’ve seen men wear them well, over a white shirt or a dark t-shirt with a jacket and they look quite dashing.

I think the real issue is one of interpretation and how you put it all together. Perhaps the cruise lines need photos as examples of what is expected. The problem, when you say jeans are accepted, is that you will get the guys in the yard work jeans with the sweaty graphic tees along with the gentleman in the dark denim and white shirt. You either got or you haven’t got style [emoji12] You’re either in or you’re out by a mile!

As for the ladies, I brought a pair of dark denim pants on our river cruise last year. It was hot, so I didn’t wear them on any of the excursions. To give my standard black pants a break, I wore them to dinner on one or 2 nights with a nice top and scarf or statement necklace (you guys probably have no clue what that is [emoji12]) and I think I looked swell! [emoji41] These are pants made of denim fabric. They have no pockets, or rivets, or contrast stitching. If you didn’t come up and feel the fabric, you wouldn’t know it was denim.

I think the trend, whether we like it or not, is much more casual, and free spirited (aka do whatever you want and everyone else be damned). Those who are fond of the old ways can tilt at windmills all we want, but the times are changing. Times do change and there isn’t much we can do to stop them.

I’m in the middle. I think some formality (not talking tuxes and ball gowns) and decorum is a good thing, but I like to be comfy as well. I’m a Gemini, so I’m always of two minds [emoji41]. Even fine dining establishments seem to have given up the fight. We go to Bermuda frequently and that used to be one of the last bastions of more formal dress. Not anymore. People wear all sorts of get ups to dinner and it seems the dining venues just sigh and allow it.

There are far too many other more important things to get my knickers in a knot over. I’m letting dress codes go. Life is just too short. Places to go, wonders to see!

Fair winds and calm seas to you all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I care! 'Elegant casual' could never be interpreted to include jeans. It would take one minute to change out of jeans and into a smart pair of trousers. If passengers can't do this then they must be really tired and should consider dining in their suite. Viking have stated what the dress code is and I hope they enforce it.

Maybe where you come from, but in other parts of the US it does include jeans. And before someone takes a hissy fit because I am singling out the US passengers and not the Europeans, keep in mind that 75 of the passengers or more are from the US and Canada.

i care! 'elegant casual' could never be interpreted to include jeans. It would take one minute to change out of jeans and into a smart pair of trousers. If passengers can't do this then they must be really tired and should consider dining in their suite. Viking have stated what the dress code is and i hope they enforce it.

bravo!!!!

As one of the very few British passengers (less than 5% non USA guests) on the current sailing of the Viking Star, I can say that quite a number of passengers are wearing jeans in the evening in various venues, not an issue that bothers me.

I do care that men are allowed to wear baseball caps in both Manfredis and the Chefs Table, it would not be allowed in many fine dining restaurants in Europe or other parts of the world

As one of the very few British passengers (less than 5% non USA guests) on the current sailing of the Viking Star, I can say that quite a number of passengers are wearing jeans in the evening in various venues, not an issue that bothers me.

I do care that men are allowed to wear baseball caps in both Manfredis and the Chefs Table, it would not be allowed in many fine dining restaurants in Europe or other parts of the world

Personally, I don't wear jeans, because I find casual chinos more comfortable, and I don't wear baseball caps, but those who object need to understand that conventions have changed. Several years ago, Steven Spielberg was denied a table at the Polo Lounge in the Beverly Hills Hotel because he was wearing a baseball cap. That's about as up-scale a location as you can get. The next day, when the manager found out they had turned away Spielberg, they changed the dress code.

As for what happens on Viking, people have a choice of cruise lines. Carnival is very different from Viking in some ways, and Crystal is very different from Viking in other ways. I'd been on other cruise lines and had basically given up on ocean cruising. Viking has brought me back. I think it is great just the way it is.

The Polo Lounge post took me back, being from Los Angeles. In the 50s when I was just a child, my grandparents would take the whole family out for a fancy dinner from time to time. In those days, if men weren't wearing a jacket and tie, the restaurant would loan you one. It wasn't until the 70s, when I was out on my own and they were still doing this in certain that I realized how truly disgusting these "used" jackets and ties were. I'd prefer clean jeans any time! At some point common sense just has to prevail.

The Polo Lounge post took me back, being from Los Angeles. In the 50s when I was just a child, my grandparents would take the whole family out for a fancy dinner from time to time. In those days, if men weren't wearing a jacket and tie, the restaurant would loan you one. It wasn't until the 70s, when I was out on my own and they were still doing this in certain that I realized how truly disgusting these "used" jackets and ties were. I'd prefer clean jeans any time! At some point common sense just has to prevail.

"Common Sense" is to follow the rules set by Viking, or alternatively select another line!!!

You know, there are several ways to respond to a nasty post, one of which is just not to reply at all. But for the sake of answering the original question, Viking does now indeed have language saying no jeans and no shirts without a collar, but my experience on board as of six weeks ago is that Viking at no time during our cruise enforced that policy and no one was ever turned away, that I saw, anyway.

DH and I always freshen up and change for dinner on the ship if going to a restaurant. We change for dinner whenever we go out....whether on a ship or land. It is for us part of the enjoyment in going out to dinner....and we like to respect what Viking lays out with their dress code - If we are too tired or back too late, we don’t worry about dressing and we have room service or go to the World Cafe where it was a non issue and considered casual.

I also agree that there are jeans....and then there are really nice stylish jeans....and as mentioned, those with a nice shirt/top can look darned good. I am just not going to let that impact my enjoyment of my meal and my time, for me that is a waste of energy.... but it does just seem like common sense that baseball caps or sweats do not belong in nice dining establishments for dinner ....on land or sea. JMHO

Edited by Vineyard View

You know, there are several ways to respond to a nasty post, one of which is just not to reply at all. But for the sake of answering the original question, Viking does now indeed have language saying no jeans and no shirts without a collar, but my experience on board as of six weeks ago is that Viking at no time during our cruise enforced that policy and no one was ever turned away, that I saw, anyway.

I started this thread, so I apologize! I am not trying to create controversy, I just wanted clarification. I have no problem dressing up for any venue other than the World Cafe, which should not be as strict.

One of the reasons we chose Viking over some other line is because of the casual dress code. I don’t mind getting spiffied up for dinner, but we are retired and my husband has put all that behind him. I’m in the “every girl’s crazy ‘bout a sharp dressed man,” camp, but c’st la vie. Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff.

Anyway ... there are jeans, and there are jeans. Some are faded and worn with some rips and tears (quite often right off the store shelves with hefty price tags) and others are quite respectable, clean and neat dark denim - trousers, in effect made of denim fabric. I have no problem with the latter worn anywhere with a nice shirt. I’ve seen men wear them well, over a white shirt or a dark t-shirt with a jacket and they look quite dashing.

I think the real issue is one of interpretation and how you put it all together. Perhaps the cruise lines need photos as examples of what is expected. The problem, when you say jeans are accepted, is that you will get the guys in the yard work jeans with the sweaty graphic tees along with the gentleman in the dark denim and white shirt. You either got or you haven’t got style [emoji12] You’re either in or you’re out by a mile!

As for the ladies, I brought a pair of dark denim pants on our river cruise last year. It was hot, so I didn’t wear them on any of the excursions. To give my standard black pants a break, I wore them to dinner on one or 2 nights with a nice top and scarf or statement necklace (you guys probably have no clue what that is [emoji12]) and I think I looked swell! [emoji41] These are pants made of denim fabric. They have no pockets, or rivets, or contrast stitching. If you didn’t come up and feel the fabric, you wouldn’t know it was denim.

I think the trend, whether we like it or not, is much more casual, and free spirited (aka do whatever you want and everyone else be damned). Those who are fond of the old ways can tilt at windmills all we want, but the times are changing. Times do change and there isn’t much we can do to stop them.

I’m in the middle. I think some formality (not talking tuxes and ball gowns) and decorum is a good thing, but I like to be comfy as well. I’m a Gemini, so I’m always of two minds [emoji41]. Even fine dining establishments seem to have given up the fight. We go to Bermuda frequently and that used to be one of the last bastions of more formal dress. Not anymore. People wear all sorts of get ups to dinner and it seems the dining venues just sigh and allow it.

There are far too many other more important things to get my knickers in a knot over. I’m letting dress codes go. Life is just too short. Places to go, wonders to see!

Fair winds and calm seas to you all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cyber Kat,

You are one of my kindred spirits on these Viking threads. I, too, rather enjoy putting on something a little nicer than I wear every day when eating someplace special. For me, Viking's restaurants are someplace special. I do wish more people shared my vision, but I am accepting of reality.

Viking does provide photos, of a sort, of what they envision for their passengers. Look at their many commercials, or videos, or website.The people in the restaurants are somewhat dressed up. I do, however, think they also are accepting of reality, and you will continue to see a range of styles onboard Viking ships.

I started this thread, so I apologize! I am not trying to create controversy, I just wanted clarification. I have no problem dressing up for any venue other than the World Cafe, which should not be as strict.

I'm with you. World Cafe is casual but not lounging in the den slob casual. The Restaurant and the specialty restaurants are a step above. For them I'll put on something better. Maybe not elegant but certainly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in Tucson, AZ, where a jacket and tie or nice dress is required nowhere, at any time. I wear scrubs for work. My idea of dressing up is my nice dark indigo or black jeans with a nice top and boots or nice shoes. I have leggings and tunic tops as well that I wear for "dress". My husband, on the ship, wore chinos and polos but I can't remember the last time he wore a pair of chinos at home. It's jeans and polos for dress. So, we don't care what anyone wears. I agree about the baseball caps and torn t shirts. But...when you are sitting at the table nobody sees what is on your legs anyway!!:D:D:D:D I was on the 3 week cruise with deec and many folks in the restaurant had jeans on. Nobody cared. I asked the dining room manager and she said that it was fine.

When we first started cruising we attended many formal nights which are still a part of many cruise lines. We packed evening suits with Black Tie etc plus long sparkly evening gowns. It was fun but now we are rather passed it we prefer the smart casual ambience promoted onboard our current favourite lines of Azamara, Viking and Oceania.

At home I wear jeans in the supermarket, garden, and possibly to go out to lunch or dinner at a local pub or pizza place. However I would make an effort to smarten up if I was going to a more formal restaurant.

Similarly on a cruise I no longer pack the long evening dress and DH doesn't take a suit of any description but it is a pleasure to make an effort to look different from my usual everyday self.

I want all staff on board to be dressed appropriately. In the restaurants in the evening I would not expect to be served by someone in a T shirt and shorts. I like to be welcomed by someone dressed in a suit rather than a football shirt.

During the day and at the buffet in the evening I have no views on what should be worn by anyone. However in the more formal restaurants I believe it is good manners to not offend my fellow diners. In addition it is a pleasure to see that many have made a little effort. Indeed some had made a lot of effort and many of the ladies looked wonderful on our summer cruises. We were lucky enough to sit with some of the dancers on our White Night party night on Azamara. Absolutely stunning!

I want my cruise to be memorable and different from my daily life. Would someone's mode of dress spoil that. Of course not! However it certainly fills up a lot of threads on cruise critic. This is the first time I have ever joined in. I am rather ashamed of being drawn into this everlasting debate.

I think its fun to dig thru our closet to find "Nice" things to bring when going on holiday. If need be I can change into "Nice" in 10 minutes if and when I have to. Note: we gave up the Evening Gown a long time ago. Jeans are a loaded thought apparently. So many choices, so many ways to make them look nice.

I prefer to shower & change before dinner and can wait the 15 minutes it takes to do that. I prefer Viking's casual dress code vs say Silversea where you had to wear a jacket to dinner.

I can tell on Viking who did not check luggage and packed only a carry on. I just sit a couple tables away if they're fresh into dinner from a hot sweaty tour. Only happened once and that was a river cruise.

World Cafe is perfect for full casual although because of these many dress code threads I looked and did notice a guy dining evenings at The Restaurant in clean shorts and a tee shirt.

Maybe where you come from, but in other parts of the US it does include jeans. And before someone takes a hissy fit because I am singling out the US passengers and not the Europeans, keep in mind that 75 of the passengers or more are from the US and Canada.

75 percent of passengers may be from the USA and Canada but I doubt if that same 75 percent would be happy to wear jeans or see others in jeans at dinner.

As for the Polo Lounge changing their dress code after Spielberg was refused entry - how sad. He should have respected the establishment and other diners and removed his cap. Wealth does not buy class.