Our first cruise was on..... the original Big Red Boat - the Oceania

voljeep

Our first cruise was on the Norway. A few days before sailing our travel agent called to tell us we had been "bumped" off our original ship and moved to the Norway. I began to complain till the travel agent interrupted to tell me we were upgraded to a full suite. What a wonderful way to enjoy our first cruise.

SS Oceanic, 1968 or 1969. My grandparents took me any my younger brother when I was 8 or 9. There was no kids program. There weren't too many kids, so the crew sort of doted on us. Next cruise wasn't until early 2000's.

Hi,

My first cruise was in 1967 on the SS Miami when I was two years old. This was a four-night Bahamas cruise out of Miami.

My first Princess cruise was on the original Dawn Princess (former Fairwind) in 1989. This was a 12-night Scandinavia / Russia cruise out of Copenhagen.

Chuck

My first cruise was the other (not as) Big Red Boat, Royale in 1988. It was a tub, but we had a blast. It was one of those Premier Cruise Lines 7 day Disney World / Cruise to Nassau combos. Nassau sucked then as it does now....haha ;p

First and next cruise was on Princess 20 years later on the Diamond, Whittier to Vancouver. Been hooked ever since. :D

Dawn Princess to the Caribbean in 1997. I remember flying to San Juan and seeing huge white ships [emoji568]. My husband and I said oh boy maybe some day we can go on one of those (1997 was pre widely available internet so we had seen some pictures but really didn’t know what to expect). Imagine our excitement when our cab took us to one of those huge white ships ! I cried when I boarded and saw the atrium. A feeling I will never forget.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dawn Princess to the Caribbean in 1997. I remember flying to San Juan and seeing huge white ships [emoji568]. My husband and I said oh boy maybe some day we can go on one of those (1997 was pre widely available internet so we had seen some pictures but really didn’t know what to expect). Imagine our excitement when our cab took us to one of those huge white ships ! I cried when I boarded and saw the atrium. A feeling I will never forget.

My first cruise was from New York to Jacksonville on the SS Chippewa at the tender age of 3 months. After a round trip a couple of years later, I stayed in Jacksonville and my next cruise was the 4th sailing of the Starship Royale, the first Premier Cruise Lines ship. It was beautifully refurbished, and we were blown away by the four day cruise. The glamorous dining room with burgundy and gold decor, the Midnight Buffets, the pool games, the Out Island, which was Salt Cay in the Bahamas. Even cabin 22 on Main deck, which was an inside cabin with Upper and lower berths.

Over 50 cruises later, I can still see that ship in detail.

It was followed by Oceanic, which was much bigger and had an interesting assortment of cabin shapes and sizes, and then Atlantic, which was also a wonderful ship. All three of them gave me great memories, and Royale never went to the breakers. She lies on the bottom of the Atlantic off the coat of Virginia. Oceanic was berthed in Freeport right where visiting cruise ships dock. I walked over and told her goodbye before she went on the beach in India. I don't know Atlantic's fate, but it was probably the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first cruise was the Home Line..The Oceanic..July 1982 for my 10th Anniversary..We had twin captain beds...assigned deck chairs..every meal in the dining room with our Italian waiters. Seven days roundtrip from NYC to Bermuda/Nassau. When the ship docked they drained the pool and no bar service up on deck...I loved it and my husband hated it..took twelve years to get him back on a ship..now we cruise yearly!

Almost forgot..rooms and decks were divided by classes!

I remember that my parents took the Oceania out of the Port of New York during the 1970’s when it was a member of Home Lines. In those days, you could visit the passengers on board until the ship left port. We were very impressed with the ship, although I do remember that it was docked in between the USS Saratoga and the Queen Mary which both dwarfed the ship.

We do cruise extensively, and have followed the ship, remember seeing it in Europe, and again in Pt. Canaveral when it was the big red boat.

Brings back memories of a time when cruising was definitely more upper class.

We sailed on the SS Norway which was formerly the SS France. I think the line was called Kloster Cruises.

Nice boat.

Kurt Kloster founded Norwegian Caribbean Line which started with Sunward and Skyward. He turned the France into the Norway, which sailed until the boilers failed. After Kloster no longer owned the line, it became Norwegian Cruise Line, keeping the same initials, NCL.

The Norway was a lovely ship.

Kurt Kloster founded Norwegian Caribbean Line which started with Sunward and Skyward. He turned the France into the Norway, which sailed until the boilers failed. After Kloster no longer owned the line, it became Norwegian Cruise Line, keeping the same initials, NCL.

The Norway was a lovely ship.

I loved the Norway. It was one of my best cruises ever and I was only 16 at the time. The ship was amazing and I met the best people some of whom we still keep in touch with.

Our first cruise on Princess was on the Diamond Princess to Alaska in 2007 -

You and yours>:cool:

Our first cruise was also on The Oceanus. What an exciting time it was. My girls loved the characters

Our first cruise was a three day trial cruise on the Carnival Carnivale in October, 1989. Have loved cruising ever since. Our first "real" cruise, a 7-day Caribbean cruise was on the SS Norway and I am so glad that I got to sail on her. She was a beautiful art deco covered promenade deck old style ship and was a great first experience. Since then on HAL, Celebrity, RCCL, and Princess.

Pooh

Our first cruise was on the Song of Norway, Royal Caribbean in January 1997. We will never forget it. We got married on our first cruise. We are booked on the Royal Princess for a 49-day cruise and it will be our 18th cruise. So many amazing memories and many more to come. What a journey!
Our first cruise as well! April 1988 for our honeymoon. The Song of Norway was nicknamed the Song of Nausea because it was a stretched ship and was long and narrow. I believe it was the first cruise ship that had a section added years after it was built.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

First two cruises for us were on the first two Carnival ships - the Mardi Gras & the Carnivale (late '80s). I remember that tiny interior room on the Mardi Gras - the floor actually had some slope to it!!

Also did some on the Big Red Boat.

First Princess cruise - Caribbean Princess in 2007.