Our first cruise was on..... the original Big Red Boat - the Oceania

voljeep

We are new cruisers. First cruise was 10 days round trip SF to Alaska on Sea Princess in 2011. On our next cruise we were surprised to find that the wide promenade isn't on most Princess ships. We only have 8 cruises (all on Princess) for a total of only 95 days. Our longest cruise to date was 28 days.

The Fairwind 1979- Caribbean, Panama Canal and Mexico -

Sitmar cruise line was acquired by P& O and then the Fairwind became the Dawn Princess so Cruise history with Princess shows this as our first cruise.

My first cruise was the Home Line..The Oceanic..July 1982 for my 10th Anniversary..We had twin captain beds...assigned deck chairs..every meal in the dining room with our Italian waiters. Seven days roundtrip from NYC to Bermuda/Nassau. When the ship docked they drained the pool and no bar service up on deck...I loved it and my husband hated it..took twelve years to get him back on a ship..now we cruise yearly!

Almost forgot..rooms and decks were divided by classes!

Our first cruise was on the Song of Norway, Royal Caribbean in January 1997. We will never forget it. We got married on our first cruise. We are booked on the Royal Princess for a 49-day cruise and it will be our 18th cruise. So many amazing memories and many more to come. What a journey!

My first and got me hooked on cruising was the HAL Zaandam in Alaska in 2005. I was a travel agent in 1979 early 80's and actually booked many cruises for our clients. As a TA I actually stepped foot on several ships back then, such as the Sitmar Fairsea and Fairsky, Royal Viking Sky, The original QE2 and the actual Love Boat, Old Pacific Princess, but never cruised myself until 2005.

Big Red Boat was the Oceanic.

I sailed Homelines SS Oceanic in 1982 as my first cruise. She was then acquired by Premier Cruises and renamed Big Red Boat in 1985.

My parents gave me the cruise bug and now with family, my wife and kids have it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first cruise was on Home Lines Oceanic. What a beauty she was!-elegant, sleek contemporary-and we embarked in Manhattan for an 8-day cruise to Bermuda and Nassau. My first Princess cruise was Alaska, Inside Passage, in the mid-'90's.

Funny how so many sailed Oceanic for their first cruise. We were married a few years when we decided to take a trip before we started a family. It was 1966. It was for 7 days from NYC to Nassau, and strangely the price was just a bit lower than some cruises today. We have since taken close to 40 cruises, mostly since retirement. Our children and grandchildren love cruising too.

Funny how so many sailed Oceanic for their first cruise. We were married a few years when we decided to take a trip before we started a family. It was 1966. It was for 7 days from NYC to Nassau, and strangely the price was just a bit lower than some cruises today. We have since taken close to 40 cruises, mostly since retirement. Our children and grandchildren love cruising too.

great trend for sure. question is, how many of us still reside in NY this day? we left in 1992, after college.

and the Oceanic was a great cruise. i remember the super thin pizza with little cheese on it. very different from what NY pizza was at that time.