Why are SOLO cabin prices DOUBLED like all the others ?

glrounds

Thanks, everyone for the responses.

I think my initial interest was what one poster suggested as the $799 pricing for the SOLO cabins some time ago. I try to avoid flying and NCL doesn't have a "regular" ship doing the Mexican Riviera out of San Pedro like Carnival does, so when I, during a search of NCL cruises, came across the Bliss doing the MR this Fall and Spring I looked into it. I think the Bliss is one of the newer, if not the newest, ships in the NCL fleet. This "newness" may be part of the problem also.

My question evolved from thinking just maybe a SOLO cabin on an NCL ship would be less expensive than an inside cabin on Carnival (currently booked on the Splendor for $998 for everything, including the taxes, port fees and added DO charge). Here was a chance, I thought to see a different cruise line as well in spite of all the "upcharges" I hear about.

On NCL's website I saw a SOLO cabin for $1389 and an inside cabin for $799 DOUBLED . . . so $1389 versus $1598. (just guessing these numbers from memory) I didn't see a big "savings" from what I had anticipated. That's the reason I asked the question.

Again, I want to thank you all for your responses.

Yes, the savings of the studio cabins are questionable. There are certainly times when double occupancy for an inside cabin is equal to or less than a studio.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The newness of Bliss, with all her bells and whistles, is driving the price up. I'm booked on her for that same itinerary, but sharing a cabin. I can't afford a Bliss studio or solo until the novelty wears off!

Other ships have better bargains, but a popular time of year (New Year's Eve) or even just a well-booked sailing can keep the prices high.

No you said they double the occupancy price, they do not. The price of the cabin is the same whether one or two people are in it. If two are in it each pays ½ of the cabin (occupancy) price. If only one person is there they pay the whole cabin price. The price of the cabin does not change at all.

lol okay.

Thanks, everyone for the responses.

I think my initial interest was what one poster suggested as the $799 pricing for the SOLO cabins some time ago. I try to avoid flying and NCL doesn't have a "regular" ship doing the Mexican Riviera out of San Pedro like Carnival does, so when I, during a search of NCL cruises, came across the Bliss doing the MR this Fall and Spring I looked into it. I think the Bliss is one of the newer, if not the newest, ships in the NCL fleet. This "newness" may be part of the problem also.

My question evolved from thinking just maybe a SOLO cabin on an NCL ship would be less expensive than an inside cabin on Carnival (currently booked on the Splendor for $998 for everything, including the taxes, port fees and added DO charge). Here was a chance, I thought to see a different cruise line as well in spite of all the "upcharges" I hear about.

On NCL's website I saw a SOLO cabin for $1389 and an inside cabin for $799 DOUBLED . . . so $1389 versus $1598. (just guessing these numbers from memory) I didn't see a big "savings" from what I had anticipated. That's the reason I asked the question.

Again, I want to thank you all for your responses.

There is, I believe, the crux of the issue. You assumed/anticipated and the facts ended up being different than the assumption. Studio cabins are their own meta, they are not in the same meta with Inside cabins...pricing of one has no bearing on the other. Again...all supply and demand.

Welcome :D

And I have never seen anyone claim that the studios are worth any sort of premium for the lounge.

Not for anything, but just because you, I, or anyone else "have never seen" something doesn't mean it isn't true and/or doesn't happen. The private lounge is certainly a benefit that NCL advertises for these cabins. The cost(s) involved are included in the price of the cabin. Same for this being an adult only, private keycard access area of the ship.

There is, I believe, the crux of the issue. You assumed/anticipated and the facts ended up being different than the assumption. Studio cabins are their own meta, they are not in the same meta with Inside cabins...pricing of one has no bearing on the other. Again...all supply and demand.

Not for anything, but just because you, I, or anyone else "have never seen" something doesn't mean it isn't true and/or doesn't happen. The private lounge is certainly a benefit that NCL advertises for these cabins. The cost(s) involved are included in the price of the cabin. Same for this being an adult only, private keycard access area of the ship.

Sure, so please let me know what ships and itineraries you normally see these prices on. Thanks.

Sure, so please let me know what ships and itineraries you normally see these prices on. Thanks.

As I never mentioned seeing any prices on anything, I can't let you know what ships and itineraries I see those prices on. I suggest being more clear on what you are asking, and if you are making claims about what someone said, use to quote function to avoid this type of misunderstanding.

There are no cut n dry guaranteed ways of getting a solo cruise at a discount price, however, there are some things that might give a better chance of finding a less expensive solo cruise.

1. Last minute deals - usually after final payment for a limited time only. Discounted cabins don't last very long so be watchful.

2. 7 day Cruises which do the same itin. every week might lower the prices considerable to sell off some empty cabins.

3. Avoid any times considered special events when schools are out and family cruises are very popular. Look at shoulder seasons, both fall and spring.

4. Sometimes even Transatlantic cruises can be very reasonably priced especially if it's just an ordinary TA... common TA would be Miami to Europe, and vice versa, only 1 or 2 stops along the way.. usually can end up being very inexpensive.

I'm sure I haven't listed all the tips but the major one is to keep checking the website b/c you just never know when a good deal will show up.

Good luck.

Again NCL does NOT double the fare. The fare quoted is PER PERSON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY, egro the price for the cabin is twice what the DOUBLE OCCUPANCY per person rate is. If you choose to book that cabin yourself, the cabin price does not change, you just have to pay the full price yourself.

I guess this means that it's possible to book two persons in the studio cabins. I didn't think that was possible but it's always good to learn something new, thanks.

I guess this means that it's possible to book two persons in the studio cabins. I didn't think that was possible but it's always good to learn something new, thanks.

No you can't book 2 people into a studio, but the studios are never available as a guarantee or sail away. You'll always get some level of promo with them and you can choose the specific cabin you want. They're also mostly on decks that are sandwiched between other cabin decks so there's no danger of ending up above the theatre or nightclub, or below the pool deck.

PoA is an exception to every rule as they've only a handful of studios in that ship whereas the other big ships have at least 2 decks with studios.

Personally I liked the studio lounge on the Escape, you could grab a quick snack and cup of tea or coffee at any time without having to travel up or down too many decks.

As long as the demand for studios remains high there's no reason for NCL to offer bargain pricing.

Guarantee interior/ocean view/balcony cabins could leave you with a cabin in a very noisy location if the ship is at capacity or you could be lucky and get a fantastic location for a bargain price. It's all down to personal choice. I'm one of those for whom a last minute booking won't work because I'll always have international flights to get to a port so I prefer to keep my bargain hunting to the flights and port hotel.

No you can't book 2 people into a studio, but the studios are never available as a guarantee or sail away. You'll always get some level of promo with them and you can choose the specific cabin you want. They're also mostly on decks that are sandwiched between other cabin decks so there's no danger of ending up above the theatre or nightclub, or below the pool deck.

PoA is an exception to every rule as they've only a handful of studios in that ship whereas the other big ships have at least 2 decks with studios.

Personally I liked the studio lounge on the Escape, you could grab a quick snack and cup of tea or coffee at any time without having to travel up or down too many decks.

As long as the demand for studios remains high there's no reason for NCL to offer bargain pricing.

Guarantee interior/ocean view/balcony cabins could leave you with a cabin in a very noisy location if the ship is at capacity or you could be lucky and get a fantastic location for a bargain price. It's all down to personal choice. I'm one of those for whom a last minute booking won't work because I'll always have international flights to get to a port so I prefer to keep my bargain hunting to the flights and port hotel.

I’ve seen them as “sail away”, but the prices are always the same so why bother.

I’ve seen them as “sail away”, but the prices are always the same so why bother.

You may think that you have, but you are mistaken. The T, S, and H metas are NOT even eligible for Sail Away Rates. It simply doesn't happen.

This is even mentioned in the Terms and Conditions of multiple promotions.

"Rates shown for Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite may be for Sail Away categories and may not include any promotional offers. See Promotional Terms and Conditions for more details."

"Offer is not applicable to categories IX, OX, BX & MX (Sail Away Categories). "

I do just about all my shopping online, but when booking my most recent cruise, I contacted NCL by phone and booked two adjoining studio cabins, with the unlimited beverage package. I was somewhat disappointed in the cruise line itself, but I can't fault those cabins. Dark and quiet, with access to the lounge with free specialty coffee and a happy hour from 5-7 each night. Some of the solos we spoke with at the happy hour had been given the solo rate for an inside cabin as the time for the cruise got closer. And while I heard many people complain and complain about their bathroom situation, we had our own bedrooms, and our own bathrooms, just like we do at home.

You may think that you have, but you are mistaken. The T, S, and H metas are NOT even eligible for Sail Away Rates. It simply doesn't happen.

This is even mentioned in the Terms and Conditions of multiple promotions.

"Rates shown for Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite may be for Sail Away categories and may not include any promotional offers. See Promotional Terms and Conditions for more details."

"Offer is not applicable to categories IX, OX, BX & MX (Sail Away Categories). "

I made an error on what it’s called, not what it is— it’s called a “Norwegian rate” and it is exactly what I said. Same price with no perks.

No you cannot and nothing I said indicates that you can. Every cabin on the ship has a maximum capacity that is clearly stated.

After rereading your post I partly quoted I agree with you that it was my mistake.

The reason why I did that mistake was that the OP asked about the studio cabins and the first part of your post indicated that they were possible to book for two. It was still my fault.

I’m at O’Hare right now en route to Miami to get on the Escape tomorrow. I booked last week in an inside cabin for $499. Could have done $339 if I wanted to forego the UBP. Balconies for solos were going for $699. This time of year is typically the cheapest time of year to sail.