New Koningsdam restaurant??

sofietucker

So in another thread, from someone who is onboard "as we speak," there's this: "I was told that the culinary arts center on the koningsdam is being changed Dec 10th(the day I get off of the ship) due to lack of sales and popularity . apparently they tried to make it work but it's not.

i asked the host of the restaurant what it was becoming and she said they didn't know for sure but said something about tapas and Peruvian food. I guess we will see."

We board on the 10th and had planned to eat there that night. Anybody know anything???

I would bet that the culinary restaurant - not the venue with a stage for demonstrations and seating --- might be closing. Not many people were eating there. But, the Culinary Center was always busy with presentations. The Konninsdam has the Pinnacle, Sel de Mer, Tamarind and the Italian restaurant in the Lido (night only) for a charge, and, of course, the main dining room. To me .. extra charges are worth it.

We were on the Veendam back in October and did the America's Test Kitchen cooking class (one of the perks for 5 star). The chef that ran the class told us that the Koningsdam was the last ship to get America's Test Kitchen and it would be starting in mid December so that is possibly why they are changing it around. We will be joining the Koningsdam on Jan 3 and plan to take a class to try out their new setup.:D

It is changing. It is a come and go happy hour and eating little and big bites; per HAL. I do not know what that means, but you can set reservation times. At this point it is still called the CAC. If I try to book it, it comes up with $ 0.00 cost. ( I do not think that it is free, but rather they have not set pricing....)

I am the "onboard person" the latest info I was told was the name, decor and space are all staying the same. the food is going to be small to big plates and a bar like atmosphere. the screens showing the chefs cooking will still be there but the chefs will not speak or explain while they are cooking.

during the day, the space will still be used for America's test kitchen and still have the cooking demonstrations ...no word on price

I am the "onboard person" the latest info I was told was the name, decor and space are all staying the same. the food is going to be small to big plates and a bar like atmosphere. the screens showing the chefs cooking will still be there but the chefs will not speak or explain while they are cooking.

during the day, the space will still be used for America's test kitchen and still have the cooking demonstrations ...no word on price

Sounds like a Tapas type atmosphere!!

That would be fun. Would remind me of Barcelona.

Thanks for the info and heads up on HAL! Seems we always get the info here first👍

Denise:)

We are boarding the Koningsdam on January 14 and the Culinary Arts Center bookings have just reappeared on the HAL website for our cruise. It does mention that reservations are not necessary and does not mention a price. This leads me to believe that the tapas will be sold "a la carte" or might even be included free with the purchase of a drink (wishful thinking ;p). Here is the description when logged into our upcoming cruise:

DINNER AT THE CULINARY ARTS CENTER

Light bites, big bites and craft drinks all served up in a casual environment at your own pace for happy hour and dinner. It’s all about unwinding with great friends, great food and great drinks. Special pricing applies during Happy Hour at 4–6pm and 10-11pm. Reservations are recommended, but not required.

It is changing. It is a come and go happy hour and eating little and big bites; per HAL. I do not know what that means, but you can set reservation times. At this point it is still called the CAC. If I try to book it, it comes up with $ 0.00 cost. ( I do not think that it is free, but rather they have not set pricing....)

This sounds something like the "Sip and Savor" events that have been held. Very small plates of food often from the PG menu coupled with a white and red wine for which there was a charge.