HELP !!Alaska Train Transfer Question - Getting Conflicting/Wrong Information????????

Following this too. Can anyone give a few suggestions of hotels near the Alaska Railroad train station.

the Ships Creek Choice Hotel has a shuttle in the am that will take you directly to the railroad depot in plenty of time or Several hotels in the area also offer the same. I am staying in June at My Place Hotel which is downtown and they also offer shuttle.

The RCCL rep was correct, but I understand the confusion. We went through the same thing on our cruise last June.

There’s actually a train station downstairs at the airport which the train leaves from.

It was some sort of boondoggle overpriced station that was built and never really used.

The only use (i think) is trains that take cruisers to Seward.

Don’t miss it. It’s a beautiful 6 hour ride to Seward - one of our favorite parts of the trip.

No the RCCL rep was not correct that the only other way was by coach. She can book it directly thru the railroad and it is 4.5 hours to Seward. They also have trains that go to Fairbanks. Talkeetna, Denail etc.

• 5 weeks later...

I will be doing the Northbound cruise ending in Seward in May. I just called to see about booking this through Royal for the morning train leaving at 6:45am and getting to the Anchorage airport around 12:00pm. The representative I spoke with asked for my flight information. At this time I don't have a flight home yet, as we plan on staying a few days to go to Denali. He told me that I can't book this transfer unless I have a flight home that day.

I'm just wondering if this is correct? Has anyone taken this transfer and not had a flight the same day?

I will be doing the Northbound cruise ending in Seward in May. I just called to see about booking this through Royal for the morning train leaving at 6:45am and getting to the Anchorage airport around 12:00pm. The representative I spoke with asked for my flight information. At this time I don't have a flight home yet, as we plan on staying a few days to go to Denali. He told me that I can't book this transfer unless I have a flight home that day.

I'm just wondering if this is correct? Has anyone taken this transfer and not had a flight the same day?

Pick a flight, any flight in the late afternoon. Even one to an incorrect city. Any flight from ANC.

Pick a flight, any flight in the late afternoon. Even one to an incorrect city. Any flight from ANC.

I thought about this too, but would my bags automatically be taken in the airport for this flight or would I have control of my bags?

Edited by tlw3184
used the wrong words

To the OP, there are busses assigned to several locations in Anchorage that will take you to the train boarding station at the airport. Some will load at the Marriott, ours will load at the Hilton and apparently yours will load at 555 5th. Yes, you can book the train ride on your own and go straight to the depot to board, but if you already have the train transfer booked, why bother? Unless it's a case where you'd REALLY like to get to the ship early. Those of us who take the train from the airport spur will be among the last to board the ship. But the lines at the terminal tent will be short and fast moving.

I thought about this too, but would my bags automatically be taken in the airport for this flight or would I have control of my bags?
Flights change all the time. People change plans. It's not like they are printing your luggage tags now.

We are flying into Anchorage in June 2018, and staying two nights prior to taking the train to Seaward to board the Radiance. We are not doing a precruise tour.

I booked the train online through Alaska Railroad. We selected the Gold Dome service, which is supposed to offer a better view, more comfy seats, etc.

This is not through Royal...did I make a mistake? Do I need to book through Royal?

This is what we did. Gold Dome service has assigned seats (IIRC) and they are all in a dome car. Our seats were great and the lower portion of our car was the dining car so we were able to get breakfast. My mom and I enjoyed mimosas from the bar at the back of the car. It was sublime - watching the scenery while drinking mimosas. A memory I'll never forget.

Following this too. Can anyone give a few suggestions of hotels near the Alaska Railroad train station.

We stayed at the Hilton in August. It is about 2 blocks or so away. We took the train from Fairbanks to Anchorage, stayed the night and got back on the train in the morning to Seward. The walk from the train to the hotel is all uphill but there is a covered walkway with stairs. The comfort inn ship creek seems to be pretty popular also and has a shuttle. As far as the train goes, for people that are already in Anchorage, I would say just book the train direct through the Alaskan Railroad. It is a very scenic trip from Anchorage to Seward.

We have done the southbound to Seward train several times. It's a wonderful journey, and well worth going to Gold star class. We consider it a shore excursion unto itself. :)

Booked myself online, and indeed get to the station downtown at 5:30. DO have your tags on your bags and hand directly to the RCI staff that load the luggage onto a box truck (yes they drive your bags to the ship, they are not loaded onto the train).

As another poster mentioned, free shuttle to ship when you get to Seward, but being a beautiful day...we opted to just walk to the ship.

The early train that goes northbound is only for RCI paid transfer. We opted to book the north bound on our own also, (we did a B2B) but it does not leave until 6 pm (the dinner train). We were able to drop our bags at the train terminal early, kept minimal carry on bags with us, and toured the town. Enjoyed a nice lunch and tour of the aquarium. There are free shuttle buses that will take you there.

Enjoy your cruise AND your train trip! :)

We stayed at the Hilton in August. It is about 2 blocks or so away. We took the train from Fairbanks to Anchorage, stayed the night and got back on the train in the morning to Seward. The walk from the train to the hotel is all uphill but there is a covered walkway with stairs. The comfort inn ship creek seems to be pretty popular also and has a shuttle. As far as the train goes, for people that are already in Anchorage, I would say just book the train direct through the Alaskan Railroad. It is a very scenic trip from Anchorage to Seward.

Comfort Inn Ship Creek is a very nice hotel and it has a shuttle to the train station.

+1 on the Alaskan Railroad.