Norovirus

mountaindoc358

Since in has been confirmed that the Code Red is for Gastroenteritis and Noro is but on version of Gastroenteritis, does it really matter what the disease really is, Noro or another version of Gastroenteritis?? The symptoms are virtually the same and the same prevention activities are required so call it what you choose but, in any case the problem us is the same. No need to discuss the difference in the name of the disease.

There Is one huge difference ..... one is reportable and one is not!!!!!!!! Regent didn't have norovirus In September, October or now but did/does have Code Red.

No way to know for sure about Noro in the past if the ship isn't within 14 days of a US port. Reporting is only a US CDC requirement and since this ship won't be in the US within 14 days, it too will not report even if it is Noro so as I said earlier, whether it is noro or an other virus, it is causing the people on board problems and discussing/arguing on what the virus is really doesn't make a difference. We'll most likely never know exactly which virus is on Mariner or any other ship more than 14 days from docking in the US.

No way to know for sure about Noro in the past if the ship isn't within 14 days of a US port. Reporting is only a US CDC requirement and since this ship won't be in the US within 14 days, it too will not report even if it is Noro so as I said earlier, whether it is noro or an other virus, it is causing the people on board problems and discussing/arguing on what the virus is really doesn't make a difference. We'll most likely never know exactly which virus is on Mariner or any other ship more than 14 days from docking in the US.

You and I may not know for sure but Regent does (the doctor runs tests). Are you suggesting that Regent is lying? And, if so, why?

IMO, publicly stating that a Regent ship has Norovirus has an impact. The symptoms are similar - see below:

Difference between norovirus and gastroenteritis causes

worldwide-suffer-foodborne-diseases-150x150.jpgThere are many different causes of viral gastroenteritis. Norovirus is the world’s most common foodborne illness, which can spread very quickly among populations. There are many reported norovirus outbreaks in areas where people reside closely together – such as schools, dorms, retirement facilities, and cruise ships. Norovirus is picked up by consuming contaminated food or water, or being in close quarters with someone who is infected.

Another common cause of viral gastroenteritis is rotavirus, which commonly affects children. Rotavirus can be transmitted when a child touches a contaminated object and puts their finger in their mouth. In adults, symptoms may not appear, but they can still go on to affect others. In children, the virus can be quite severe. In some countries, including the U.S., there is a vaccine to better help prevent viral gastroenteritis caused by rotavirus.

There are a number of different bacteria associated with bacterial gastroenteritis. Yersinia is found in pork, staphylococcus can be found in dairy products and meat, shigella is linked to water in the swimming pools, and salmonella is found in meat and dairy. Meat and poultry can also contain bacterium called campylobacter. E. coli is a bacterium associated with ground beef and salads.

Essentially, we can blame bacterial gastroenteritis causes on improper food handling (contamination), improper storage of food items, and thorough preparation of meat. In 2000, an outbreak of E. coli in the water supply of Walkerton, a small town in Ontario, Canada, lead to seven deaths and 2,300 illnesses.

Gastroenteritis vs. norovirus: Transmission and prevention

Norovirus is transmitted through the consumption of contaminated food or water, touching surfaces that are contaminated, or being around someone who is infected. A person with norovirus is most contagious when sick and even a few days after the symptoms have subsided.

Norovirus outbreaks commonly occur in settings where there are many people in close quarters, such as cruise ships, daycare centers, retirement homes, dining halls, school dormitories, and hospitals.

Gastroenteritis can travel through viruses or bacteria and can be transmitted from person to person or from food to person. Direct contact with an infected individual, food item, or object can cause you to become ill with gastroenteritis.

Both norovirus and gastroenteritis are highly contagious, so it’s important that you take the necessary measures to prevent getting ill from either condition.

So, IMO, unless you are sure that a ship has Norovirus, it behooves us to call it what the doctor onboard calls it.

vlinbin - thanks for chiming in - you are definitely correct (and we do not expect to get sick on our South America cruise next year on the Explorer)!.

Edited by Travelcat2

Phillip

Why do you assume it came from passengers who went to MP? There are many ways it could have staeted as mentioned above. And I think your use of "stupid passengers" is unfair, everyone I have seen are following all the sanitization requests. It has NOT been identified as Noro nor has it been associated with passengers who went to MachuPichu!!!

Sadly not everyone is using the hand sanitisers that is 100% correct if you bother to open your eyes ...we are sick of seeing people deliberatly ignore the huge signs on entrance of both Horizon and Observation and if they can manage it even slip past the officer on the door of Veranda ... it also seems you are unaware if the toll its taking on staff who all have extra jobs and extra hours ...and since theres been a clear 48 hours but today 2 more cases have appeared clearly someone has either breached the rules of staying in their cabin or they have been hiding the situation or they have been taking herbal /chinese /or whatever and in the process have infected others

The matter is serious and the sooner everyone faces that issue and stops making excuses the better ...we have been on other ships where Noro /GI has broken out and its been contained and sorted faster than this and the source has easily been established

Regent can pull out all the stops but the bottom line is some passengers are flouting the rules and ignoring all the requests

Sadly not everyone is using the hand sanitisers that is 100% correct if you bother to open your eyes ...we are sick of seeing people deliberatly ignore the huge signs on entrance of both Horizon and Observation and if they can manage it even slip past the officer on the door of Veranda ... it also seems you are unaware if the toll its taking on staff who all have extra jobs and extra hours ...and since theres been a clear 48 hours but today 2 more cases have appeared clearly someone has either breached the rules of staying in their cabin or they have been hiding the situation or they have been taking herbal /chinese /or whatever and in the process have infected others

The matter is serious and the sooner everyone faces that issue and stops making excuses the better ...we have been on other ships where Noro /GI has broken out and its been contained and sorted faster than this and the source has easily been established

Regent can pull out all the stops but the bottom line is some passengers are flouting the rules and ignoring all the requests

Not disagreeing with everything that you say but the transmission is not always intentional nor is it always due to people not using sanitizer (but in some cases this is true). Say that I touched something in a bus during an excursion and the rubbed my eyes. I disinfect my hands before I go up the steps/ramp to the ship but then touch the rail where someone else (not yet sick) has touched. Then I go into the elevator that may have been disinfected 5 minutes ago but I touch the button for my deck and then someone else does. I may not have symptoms for 48 hours and then there are people that touched where I touched...... and it goes on and on.

It is difficult to explain this scenario but people do accidentally touch things AFTER disinfecting/washing their hands that may cause them to become ill and when they then touch that surface it may contaminate the next person. Think for a moment of all the places where you can touch a surface and then touch your face that can be contaminated. It can be boarding a bus (or getting off of a bus) - touching the seats on a bus - touching the back of the seat in front of you on a bus. It can also be in the place you are visiting (a museum, restaurant, etc. IMO, this is why "new" cases show up almost every day.

After having become ill on a few cruises during the winter, we do think twice before booking another winter cruise. When you think about it, people all over the world (where it winter) are sick. People are dying in the U.S. from the flu in almost unprecedented numbers. Those of us that sail in the winter are taking a risk. It is up to each of us to measure whether to take the risk or not.

Since in has been confirmed that the Code Red is for Gastroenteritis and Noro is but on version of Gastroenteritis, does it really matter what the disease really is, Noro or another version of Gastroenteritis?? The symptoms are virtually the same and the same prevention activities are required so call it what you choose but, in any case the problem us is the same. No need to discuss the difference in the name of the disease.

Let me try this once again. As Marc and others onboard the ship have said it has NOT "been confirmed that the Code Red is for Gastroenteritis and Noro". If you read what I posted, Noro implies something different than Gastroenteritis - something that is very negative for a cruise ship company. It strongly implies that the illness is from mishandling of food rather than passengers passing it from person to person.

Why do you insist that there is "no need to discuss the difference in the name of the disease"? If you do some research, you will learn that the two are similar but not identical. IMO, the more that we discuss Gastroenteritis - how it is spread - how to prevent it, etc. the better off the passengers will be. Calling it "Noro" implies that Regent did something wrong and there is no proof of that.

All illnesses that occur onboard a cruise ship is not the result of something being done incorrectly on the ship (not just Regent - this applies to any ship). To imply otherwise is damning to the cruise line.

Again, we were on the Mariner in September when the first Code Red of the season occurred and followed subsequent Code Red's in October and November - when we boarded the Mariner for our 25 night cruise (in an area where ships typically have illness issues). Regent was doing the same things to control/prevent illness as they are doing now. The difference was that no one was shaking hands and passengers did everything that they could to keep the ship healthy. Thankfully, they accomplished it and kudos should go out to the passengers as well as to Regent!!!!

Let's help passengers rather than assuming that Regent did something that caused a disease that the ship doesn't have.

Let me try this once again. As Marc and others onboard the ship have said it has NOT "been confirmed that the Code Red is for Gastroenteritis and Noro". If you read what I posted, Noro implies something different than Gastroenteritis - something that is very negative for a cruise ship company. It strongly implies that the illness is from mishandling of food rather than passengers passing it from person to person.

Why do you insist that there is "no need to discuss the difference in the name of the disease"? If you do some research, you will learn that the two are similar but not identical. IMO, the more that we discuss Gastroenteritis - how it is spread - how to prevent it, etc. the better off the passengers will be. Calling it "Noro" implies that Regent did something wrong and there is no proof of that.

All illnesses that occur onboard a cruise ship is not the result of something being done incorrectly on the ship (not just Regent - this applies to any ship). To imply otherwise is damning to the cruise line.

Again, we were on the Mariner in September when the first Code Red of the season occurred and followed subsequent Code Red's in October and November - when we boarded the Mariner for our 25 night cruise (in an area where ships typically have illness issues). Regent was doing the same things to control/prevent illness as they are doing now. The difference was that no one was shaking hands and passengers did everything that they could to keep the ship healthy. Thankfully, they accomplished it and kudos should go out to the passengers as well as to Regent!!!!

Let's help passengers rather than assuming that Regent did something that caused a disease that the ship doesn't have.

I don’t think it is a matter of Regent doing something “wrong.” It seems that they are doing everything they can to contain it. However, trying to parse gastroenteritis and norovirus is comparing apples to oranges. Acute gastroenteritis is most often caused by the norovirus. It Is also caused by bacteria or other organisms that are ingested and from direct contact. The fact that they have not been able to contain it most likely points to acute gastroenteritis caused by the Norovirus. I applaud Regent for the efforts they are taking to contain it and empathize with the passengers and crew that are experiencing the inconvenience of this outbreak. Would it be more acceptable if the cause was e-coli, Salmonella, Shigella?

Let me tell you ..you are not here. You are not sick. You are not living with sticky gross furniture . I wash my cabin down nightly.

Had a guest grab me by the hand to dance in a Conga line. I scream at him. This was in deck five. What eight does he have to touch me.

I always though Noro was rip and bottom. As. Far as I know this is only bottom.

As of midnight no crew member is sick.

Hand washing and Sticky stuff not making us better.

Someone is ground zero and guessing feeling fine. But MP did not bring this on.

So do not touch me and stop,sitting in toilets and nit wash but scrub hands with hot water.

We were close to healthy so God knows where these people been hiding out,

I could tell you where this bug is hiding out and who is failing to report it and how and why but if i did i would be called all sorts of names ....strange that any ship we have been on where Noro /GI has occured has only called in at certain ports or had a % of passengers who take certain herbal remedies that contain their symptoms but allow them to pass but on to others .....i certainly do not criticise Regent their staff are pulling out all the stops to try and sanitise the ship and ensure food is served etc but they are working extra hard or extra hours and its taking its toll

And all the restrictions placed on other passengers are spoiling their cruise since theres no books, games, puzzles, quizes available etc etc etc

Are you a doctor of medicine?

Its up to the Medics onboard to fathom where , how and why this GI bug is spreading but clearly given all the efforts being made by every Regent Staff member its not the result of Regent food or anything else Regent have done

This is down to passengers hiding their sickness and continuing to spread it and all the passengers who refuse to ensure they use all the hand sanitisers plus take their little spray bottles of hand sanitiser on tours and use them thats not happening much either

Below is taken from the CDC website. Note emphasis mine.

SPECIFIC HEALTH RISKS

GI Illness

From 2008 through 2014, rates of GI illness among passengers on voyages lasting 3–21 days decreased from 27.2 to 22.3 cases per 100,000 travel days. Despite this decrease, GI illness outbreaks continue to occur. Updates on these outbreaks involving ships with US ports of call can be found at www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm.

More than 90% of GI outbreaks with a confirmed cause are due to norovirus. Characteristics of norovirus that facilitate outbreaks are a low infective dose, easy person-to-person transmissibility, prolonged viral shedding, no long-term immunity, and the organism’s ability to survive routine cleaning procedures. From 2010 through 2015, 8–16 outbreaks of norovirus infections occurred on cruise ships each year. GI outbreaks on cruise ships from food and water sources have also been associated with Salmonella spp., enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli, Shigella spp., Vibrio spp., Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium perfringens, Cyclospora cayetanensis, and hepatitis A and E viruses.

To protect themselves from infections and reduce the spread of GI illnesses on cruise ships, passengers should be counseled on the following:

• Passengers should wash their hands with soap and water often, especially before eating and after using the restroom.
  • Passengers who develop a GI illness, even if symptoms are mild, should promptly call the ship’s medical center (or the ship’s master, if no medical center exists) and follow cruise ship guidance regarding isolation and other infection control measures (see Chapter 3, Norovirus).
  • Additional information on cruise ship outbreaks is available at www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp.

It is my understanding that it has been confirmed that the outbreak is GI related however Regent or onboard medical staff have not confirmed that it is Norovirus.

Mariner is in the grip of Norovirus originting apparently from passengers who went to Ma hu Pichu

Far too many passengers even now 10 days on refuse to use hand sanitisers

All books have been removed from library

Same for games puzzles daily quiz

Staff are constantly cleaning

Self service laundrys shut

Cannot see this stopping till we get to Beunos Aries

Apparently Lima to BA sector always gets Norovirus and its sure spoiling things for many passengers ...time Regent stopped the trips to Machu Pichu or warned passengers beforehand so we could cancel

I've taken this itinerary and while we did experience Code Red it was NOT from Norovirus but rather a respiratory virus which we were notified about at embarkation in Lima. MP became the whipping post back then but it was unjustified as the ship had traveled from Miami to Lima when the illness started.

There Is one huge difference ..... one is reportable and one is not!!!!!!!! Regent didn't have norovirus In September, October or now but did/does have Code Red.

TC that is not correct. Reporting requirements are for any type of AGE not just Noro.

4.1.1.1.1 Reportable Case Definition (02)A reportable case of AGE is only a case reported to the master ofthe vessel, the medical staff, or other designated staff by apassenger or a crew member and meets the definition below.A case is defined as• Diarrhea (three or more episodes of loose stools in a 24hour period or what is above normal for the individual. Seesection 4.1.2.1.3, illness symptoms); or• Vomiting and one additional symptom including one ormore episodes of loose stools in a 24-hour period, orabdominal cramps, or headache, or muscle aches, or fever(temperature of ≥38°C [100.4°F]);

Nausea, although a common symptom of AGE, is specificallyexcluded from this definition to avoid misclassifyingseasickness (nausea and vomiting) as AGE.

For anyone who would like a little light reading on the VSP to garner some facts here is a link to the Operations Manual :

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/opsmanual2011.pdf

Not arguing but the Code Red cases on Mariner in late Sepember/October/November had the ship visiting the U.S. numerous times are the Code Reds are not showing up on the CDC website. Does anyone have an explanation for that (preferably someone that was on the Mariner from September - now so that they know what I am saying is true). In December, the ship was due for an inspection (which is was given) - have not seen results yet but the ship is still sailing.

Last, there have been sanitizers that may have not been developed in 2014/2015 that kill Norovirus and is currently being used in hospitals (this is likely what Regent is using now but I can not verify this). There are also wipes available to the public now that contains the same formula that the hospitals use. So, things are progressing.

Unfortunately, there are articles that support just about any position that you want to take. I personally do not believe the CDC more or less than I do other medical websites.

Here are some of the products that claim to kill norovirus https://www.amazon.com/disinfectant-norovirus/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adisinfectant%20norovirus (not all on the list make the claim). I suppose that they could be lying -- there is a more technical list that I can provide if anyone is interested.

Not arguing but the Code Red cases on Mariner in late Sepember/October/November had the ship visiting the U.S. numerous times are the Code Reds are not showing up on the CDC website. Does anyone have an explanation for that (preferably someone that was on the Mariner from September - now so that they know what I am saying is true). In December, the ship was due for an inspection (which is was given) - have not seen results yet but the ship is still sailing.

Last, there have been sanitizers that may have not been developed in 2014/2015 that kill Norovirus and is currently being used in hospitals (this is likely what Regent is using now but I can not verify this). There are also wipes available to the public now that contains the same formula that the hospitals use. So, things are progressing.

Unfortunately, there are articles that support just about any position that you want to take. I personally do not believe the CDC more or less than I do other medical websites.

Here are some of the products that claim to kill norovirus https://www.amazon.com/disinfectant-norovirus/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adisinfectant%20norovirus (not all on the list make the claim). I suppose that they could be lying -- there is a more technical list that I can provide if anyone is interested.

What were the itineraries in the fall? Remember it's only listed case are within 15 days of entering US port

What were the itineraries in the fall? Remember it's only listed case are within 15 days of entering US port

The Mariner itinerary that we were on in September was Alaska (Vancouver to San Francisco with Alaska in the middle). The ship didn't go into Code Red until about 3 days prior to arriving in San Francisco.

Then the ship went over to the East Coast (stopping in the U.S) and was doing the U.S. (New York, Rhode Island, etc.) as well as Canada. It must have done the U.S./Canada itinerary back and forth a few times before going down to Miami where it did a Miami to Miami cruise prior to us boarding in November (in Miami) for our 25 night Amazon cruise. So, the Mariner was in the U.S. frequently during the time that it was going through Code Red.

As I've mentioned, the ship had no issues whatsoever while on the 25 night Amazon cruise - even though it typically has some illnesses while in Brazil (the Amazon portion). When we arrived back in Miami it went through inspection (that was in December). There were two things that were very different on the Amazon cruise: First was the no handshaking policy (Captain Serena recommended that this policy continue - she said this in front of me to the Captain that is currently onboard the Mariner). Second was that the cleaning of the ship was the same as when the ship is in Code Red (nothing that affected the passengers - the passenger experience was normal). Elevator buttons were being wiped down frequently - serving utensils at the buffet were changed our every 15 minutes. Not sure about other precautions but they sure worked!

Not sure why the Mariner went back to the old "normal". Even General Manager Andreas said that he was going to recommend to each Captain that he is onboard with to have the no hand shaking policy.

In a perfect world, I likely would only sail when Serena is the Captain and Andreas is the G.M.

P.S. After typing this post I began to wonder if there is something in South America - a bacteria or something that we are not used to in North America that causes gastrointestinal problems. While people do not always get sick in South America, it occurs enough times to question it. Of course, not taking precautions onboard the ship only makes it worse.

To be 100% sure, it requires a sample containing virus particles which is often a stool sample. And, despite some recently developed tests which give a very strong indication, 100% means using a PCR which no cruise ship would have. Hence, when reading about Noro outbreaks you will often see "suspected" or "Confirmed by the CDC". CDC uses the gold standard PCR which in laymens terms replicates (actually, amplifies), if present in the sample, certain viral DNA segments which are unique to the organism. Lesser tests have some degree of false positives and false negatives although they are genetically based as well. Just sayin...

To be 100% sure, it requires a sample containing virus particles which is often a stool sample. And, despite some recently developed tests which give a very strong indication, 100% means using a PCR which no cruise ship would have. Hence, when reading about Noro outbreaks you will often see "suspected" or "Confirmed by the CDC". CDC uses the gold standard PCR which in laymens terms replicates (actually, amplifies), if present in the sample, certain viral DNA segments which are unique to the organism. Lesser tests have some degree of false positives and false negatives although they are genetically based as well. Just sayin...

Well the CDC website list for 2017 lists 11 "Code Red" reports for the year. Only 1 is marked unknown, 9 others are marked Norovirus and 1 is marked as C. perfringens enterotoxin. And if you look back thru the prior years, they seem to be specific as to the known underlying infectious agent causes. Maybe the ships mail a sample in for testing.

CDC list link.

j

Well the CDC website list for 2017 lists 11 "Code Red" reports for the year. Only 1 is marked unknown, 9 others are marked Norovirus and 1 is marked as C. perfringens enterotoxin. And if you look back thru the prior years, they seem to be specific as to the known underlying infectious agent causes. Maybe the ships mail a sample in for testing.

CDC list link.

j

J-

I do not know the CDC procedure for sampling, I was responding to the "100% sure" comment. However, one of the docs you linked to (outbreak investigation overview) does mention that medical staff may collect and send specimens to land based labs to confirm the cause of illness. It is also possible that a certain number of the antigen based tests may be sufficient for reporting purposes as they are pretty accurate (but not 100%) and they are much easier/less expensive than PCR testing.