MDR Etiquette Question

SeasideMemories

On the cruises that they serve one starter at a time, if I am the only one getting a second, I ask the server to bring both at the same time. Just letting them know that you don't wish to hold the others up is common courtesy. IMHO.

But unless we travel with friends or family, we select a table for 2. Just makes the meal happen at our speed without bothering others.

I will never understand how people can be on such a tight shedule on a cruise. Trivia here, free drinks at the elite hour there, show etc... We go on cruises to relax and escape the everyday rush.

There really are people like me who want to stay busy - doing the things you mentioned are relaxing to me. Sitting still and "relaxing" drives me nuts. But I wouldn't want to be rude or make anyone uncomfortable because I enjoy meals that move along at a faster pace.

There really are people like me who want to stay busy - doing the things you mentioned are relaxing to me. Sitting still and "relaxing" drives me nuts. But I wouldn't want to be rude or make anyone uncomfortable because I enjoy meals that move along at a faster pace.

As I said: if you are restless, do your thing :)

I won’t hold you, but I will not rush. Each to their own. We are all on vacation!

To us (European Style) dining is relaxation and part of the cruise experience. We are in BLU 99 % of the cruises and just love it there.

Edited by Miaminice

We are booked on what will be our 4th cruise with Celebrity next May and have selected Early Traditional Dining for the first time.

The first 2 cruises we were Aqua and dined in Blu at a table for 2. The last cruise we chose Select with a table for 2.

We really did enjoy conversations with those at the tables next to us on our previous cruises, especially since the tables are really close. But our table, while close, was still separate. This will be our first time dining at the same table with others so have a few questions.

We like to try different foods and may at times order 2 appetizers (or none if nothing looks good) or an entree plus one to share, or maybe even 2 each if it's a really good night, etc. So not necessarily picking one from each category. I also tend to be a bit of a slow eater. Are we going to mess up the service flow if we do that?

I'm guessing that if we will not be at dinner on a particular night, we should let our table mates and server know so they are not waiting for us. Correct?

With the current specialty dining package discount sale we are considering buying a 6 night specialty pkg (which is the smallest pkg with the discount). On a 10 day cruise if we were to be eating elsewhere for 6 of the days would that be rude to our fellow table mates?

Considering maybe getting on the waitlist for Select if that would make more sense for us.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Several thoughts on your post -

1) Just because the tables for 2 are close together does not mean that the people next to you want to engage in conversation w you. Unless it is clear that the couple next to you wants to chat and that you want to chat w them, just say "hello" and then ignore them. It is a 2-top, not a 4-top.

2) If you are a really slow eater, you will mess up the flow for the rest of the table. You will also mess up the waiter. Select a table for 2.

3) You should tell the others the night before that you are not going to be at dinner the next night. If you are not going to be there 6 of your 10 days, you should select a table for 2 instead of one for 6 or 8 people.

DON

Several thoughts on your post -

1) Just because the tables for 2 are close together does not mean that the people next to you want to engage in conversation w you. Unless it is clear that the couple next to you wants to chat and that you want to chat w them, just say "hello" and then ignore them. It is a 2-top, not a 4-top.

2) If you are a really slow eater, you will mess up the flow for the rest of the table. You will also mess up the waiter. Select a table for 2.

3) You should tell the others the night before that you are not going to be at dinner the next night. If you are not going to be there 6 of your 10 days, you should select a table for 2 instead of one for 6 or 8 people.

DON

Couldn't agree more. I'm amazed at some of the responses. If someone doesn't understand that others at a large table might assume that people dining with strangers would be more likely to order and dine together and still books a large table, perhaps they, too, should select a table for two.

The question is about dining etiquette and it's just a matter of common sense.

I am the same . I love to be busy . I also enjoy time at the dinner table.. but a table that moves along at a decent pace. If we want to continue we meet in a quite pace at another time. Having a conversation across a table with clanging dishes in the background is not relaxing.

Also the diningroom is not enjoyable for the large population with hearing aides!!

We always book at a large table, we like to meet others and chat about what they did that day.

On our last cruise, there were 4 from our family (all adults) and the "others" never showed up.

We were, frankly, annoyed, as we are very specific in asking for a large table.

So, if you are at a table for 4 and intend to be gone most nights to specialty,this might bother your table mates who did not want to be dining at a table for 2. If you are at a large table, then it is less of a consideration.

When I was in my late 20's I sailed solo and requested a large table to meet lots of people. The first night I found myself at a table for 4 with 2 women in their 70's. The second night, one lady came alone as her friend was sea sick. She was from California and a hoot. It turns out her friend was sick for the whole cruise and there was just the 2 of us at the table. I didn't have the heart to request to be moved to a large table as I originally asked for.

We are booked on what will be our 4th cruise with Celebrity next May and have selected Early Traditional Dining for the first time.

The first 2 cruises we were Aqua and dined in Blu at a table for 2. The last cruise we chose Select with a table for 2.

We really did enjoy conversations with those at the tables next to us on our previous cruises, especially since the tables are really close. But our table, while close, was still separate. This will be our first time dining at the same table with others so have a few questions.

We like to try different foods and may at times order 2 appetizers (or none if nothing looks good) or an entree plus one to share, or maybe even 2 each if it's a really good night, etc. So not necessarily picking one from each category. I also tend to be a bit of a slow eater. Are we going to mess up the service flow if we do that?

I'm guessing that if we will not be at dinner on a particular night, we should let our table mates and server know so they are not waiting for us. Correct?

With the current specialty dining package discount sale we are considering buying a 6 night specialty pkg (which is the smallest pkg with the discount). On a 10 day cruise if we were to be eating elsewhere for 6 of the days would that be rude to our fellow table mates?

Considering maybe getting on the waitlist for Select if that would make more sense for us.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

We do early seating & do a table for 2 for a few reasons:1)We're a gay couple & prefer our privacy. 2)We're both in the food industry & like to try many different things & wish to avoid slowing down the service for others.