a reason NOT to use Oceania air

Andee

Assigned lousy seats.

Can't change them on the airline's website.

Called the airline: they can't change them, either--even if I'm willing to pay to upgrade to the economy with more legroom.

Have to wait until Tuesday to call Oceania (or the travel agent).

Should have taken the air credit and booked my own air, even if it cost more.

We would have had to pay more than that, but I (too late) think it would have been worth it.

My mistake for not asking enough questions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Pardon me, but I believe that your mistake was in choosing the wrong TA.

You have a professional in the mix, whose commissions are being paid on your behalf, by Oceania, because they recognize that this is a complicated transaction , why would YOU need to ask anything?

I wonder if you would be so forgiving if you were selling a house and the Real Estate Agent bungled something?

Booking air is indeed complicated as there are so many variables and then airlines changes their rules again.

Whether or not you can even book a seat (free or for fee) is not easily discernible on the class of the ticket even if you know the class of the ticket and the airlines have their designations for classes ( some over lap, some don't) Some major airlines you cant even buy a seat in the lowest class but can only book one at 24 or 48 prior and some airlines that does not have to be lowest class.

Send an email to your TA and tell them what you want. May as well get the process started now and not wait. Even if they do not check email until Tuesday morning at least it will be in their hands Tuesday morning. Request they acknowledge receipt of your email so you know they are on it. If you get an auto reply that they are unavailable after Dec 25 then find out a supervisor or even general email so that someone gets working on it Tuesday. Granted Christmas closures are going to be a bit of a slowdown for you.

For us to learn by your experience please let us know how you make out plus some details such as which airline and the flight date as these things can make a difference too.

Good luck

We always book with O air and do an air deviation. We have a great TA who works a lot with O and always gets us the seats we want. We'll be premium economy on Qantas in May to Sydney. Make use of your TA.. they are the professionals. If you don't like the results, time for a change! Happy Holidays to one and all!!

I disagree that we have a bad TA and I think it's presumptuous to make that suggestion.

I should have phrased my initial statement differently: we were assigned seats that we don't like. Other people would have selected them.

I will absolutely not email the TA on a holiday weekend. This is not urgent as the cruise is over 6 weeks away and it wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't get our preferred seats. She has always been incredibly responsive to my emails. I have no desire to be that obnoxious client.

I have learned a valuable lesson.

O Air is marketing gimmick. Anytime you use a consolidator (which O Air and others like Choice Air) you run the risk of poor seats and restrictions. Whether you do a deviation or not you still get an inflexible Fare with lots of restrictions. Best bet as you painfully discovered is to take the credit and book your own.

Ticketed

Interesting, did you ask that they be ticketed? If not usually Oceania doesn't ticket them until about 30 days out.

Usually until I have mine ticketed it will say 'booked", "confirmed" or "pending".

How long have your flights been assigned?

Also what airline is this on? This could make a difference in whether or not you can change the seat.

It's been my experience that when I ask my TA to have the flights actually paid for and ticketed that I've been able to change seats, but sometimes not class.

We didn't ask. Make the air deviation arrangements earlier this month.

Flights on American and Air Tahiti Nui (haven't called them yet) Feb 8.

You will probably be able to change the seats on AA but not ATN. If it's a charter ask when you check in to ATN at LAX if you can have a bulkhead or exit row. seat That's what we did and got it.

I should have phrased my initial statement differently: we were assigned seats that we don't like. Other people would have selected them.

I will absolutely not email the TA on a holiday weekend. This is not urgent as the cruise is over 6 weeks away and it wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't get our preferred seats. She has always been incredibly responsive to my emails. I have no desire to be that obnoxious client.

I have learned a valuable lesson.

Yes, if you had supplied more info or reworded the OP it would have helped us understated your issue. Six posts the details of your issue are much more clear. I inferred it was an important issue to you based on the initial post and from your title. Add in your comment that nothing can be done until Tuesday implied some urgency to you..

I suggested emailing your TA for assistance on Tuesday for that urgency. I don't think that makes you obnoxious, unless you're making some demands. Stating in your email that it is not urgent would take care of that.

You seem to have a plan to deal with the seating issue, (to contact O [who can't help] or your TA at some point after Monday) so no help is needed. I gather then the purpose of the thread was to warn that sometimes one will have to get their TA to book seats for O arranged air and that the TA could be closed on a Holiday vs. if you booked directly with the airline you might (and sometimes not) be able to book seats this far in advance.

I guess I am replying to this post as I take exception to your reply of my suggestion that you email your TA for their help when they return to work. You reply that you are not sending that email so as to not "be that obnoxious client" which implies I am by making that suggestion. IMHO how you word that request determines whether or not you are obnoxious not when you send it.

I was just trying to help.

IMHO, regardless of how nicely I word a request, emailing a professional over a holiday weekend is obnoxious.

Of course, you have every right to a different perspective.

I was expressing frustration and hoping to give others, who may have been as ignorant as I, a heads up.

I thought I had indicated (but maybe just inferred) my intention to pursue the issue Tuesday.

Our ta gives us his cellphone and wants to be called any time we need him. I personally would not call on a holiday since he can’t reach cruise line even if he wanted to. But i often call on his days off for time sensitive issues. He likes it that way. Works for us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO, regardless of how nicely I word a request, emailing a professional over a holiday weekend is obnoxious.

Of course, you have every right to a different perspective.

I was expressing frustration and hoping to give others, who may have been as ignorant as I, a heads up.

I thought I had indicated (but maybe just inferred) my intention to pursue the issue Tuesday.

I agree 100% with your analysis of calling over a holiday weekend, but my contention is that your trouble with this transaction began at its' inception when no such caveats were in place.

You did not care for the Airline seating to which you were assigned but also say that others might have deliberately chosen those same seats and been happy.

The crux of the matter then is your preferences and your level of selectiveness.

The Airline and/or Oceania could not have been expected to be aware of your predelictions, but it is the job of the Agent to anticipate them based on previous experience and to guide you appropriately (i.e. not presenting the Cruise Air as an option).

Any of us who deal with the public are acutely aware of who requires special handling and who will be willing to go with the flow.

The agent is working for you and getting paid for the service they give you. Calling an agent your friend, not sure I want that---I want service, I'll always respect the agent--but sometimes you need to make sure your getting everything you need---and being a friend doesn't help most of the time. So being a friend can get in the way of whats right for you.

Although my TA lives in another state and we've never met face to face, she has always gone the extra mile for us. We use her first of all because she is very competent and has good knowledge of the inner workings of O. As a reault of at least 5 years and 13 O cruises, she has also become our friend. It is possible to have friends who provide services to you!

Ticketed

I see that you received a multitude of replies and I am adding another one. We have been on 19 (so far cruises with Oceania) and have always booked our own air, at times a little less than O allowance, but most times air cost us more than their air allowance and I much rather choose my air itinerary and airline, seats, location and class but the flights are set in stone on the day and time I want, much less stress in the long run. Just a food for thought!!