Review: Crown Princess December 9-17, 2017

CineGraphic

We arrived at Port Everglades around 11:30, and were on board with minimal delay.

The check-in agent told me that they started boarding shortly after 10am, unusually early.

We brought 5 bottles of wine and went to the table to pay our corkage. I signed a guest check for a $45 corkage fee, it showed up later on my statement as a dining charge from the Da Vinci Dining Room.

Numerous threads on Cruise Critic mentioned that they would somehow mark the bottles with stamps or stickers to show that corkage has been paid, but the gentleman helping us didn't have anything when asked, so he placed some luggage tags around the necks. Better than nothing, I guess. Each time we brought one of our bottles to a venue, we had to explain that we'd already paid corkage. It might help to carry your receipt with you.

This was our first time in a mini-suite.

The mattresses were fine, and did not sag as other's have experienced. Mini-suites are supposed to have a "luxury mattress topper", that may help prevent any sagging. I did not pull back the bedding to see if this was a new Princess Luxury mattress, but they are already in all of the Club Class minis. All mattresses will be upgraded when the Crown goes into dry dock in late March 2018.

Our steward met us with two glasses of champagne, we had a few special requests, and tipped him for fulfilling them. The one request he never took care of was acquiring the upgraded bathroom amenities we were supposed to have according to the Princess website. In the past, we've been quite happy with all of our stewards, but this guy was not up to par. He forgot our bath towels on several occasions, would mix our mail up with other cabins, didn't leave us those slips of paper reminding us to change our clocks, etc....we didn't say anything. Why take time away from our vacation to get some poor guy in hot water?

Speaking of hot water, our bath/shower didn't have any at first. We only had 1 temperature, "warm". No matter how much I turned the knob, the temp never changed. It took 2 visits to guest services and a mention to our steward before a plumber showed up. Guest services kept asking me if I wanted the water hotter or colder and looked at me funny when I said, "both". Zero comprehension, but the plumber who showed up took care of it before dinner.

The staff at Vines were all great. Carmen and her crew really know how to take care of folks.

We'd bring one of our bottles there before dinner and they'd serve us some lovely complimentary tapas.

We had anytime dining, and usually dined late. If they didn't have a table for two, they would always find us one in another dining room. The food was fine except for one entree, a meat trio that was over seasoned and tough.

For breakfast most days, we also opted for the dining room. It's much more civil than the buffet.

The Crown Grill was great as always. I brought down a bottle of wine a few hours before our reservation and it was decanted and served to us in a professional manner. My wife enjoyed her filet, and I loved my lamb chops, both served with a delicious reduction sauce.

On another night we tried the Salty Dog Pub and everything was good, but not great.

We also ate at the Crab Shack for the first time. The food was excellent, and we couldn't finish everything. We walked away feeling fuller than after any other meal.

Cruise Director Corey Moir and his staff were extremely talented, engaging and funny. They work very hard to keep passengers happy while on board. This was our second cruise with Corey, and I hope not our last. You see him everywhere. I asked him if they paid him by the mile!

We did not see any of the production shows, but I did participate in Voice of the Ocean, (and won).

It's a real treat to sing with such a great band. All of the musicians are very talented and run from venue to venue throughout the day to keep us entertained.

The officers we came in contact with were all friendly, especially Ana, the director of food & beverage. She was delightful!

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

Thanks for the nice review! I agree with your comments on the room steward. We did the same thing (nothing) when our last steward had missed the mark a few times. We are going on the Crown later this year and are looking forward to the new beds.

I am happy to hear they have a Vines and they treated you well, even when you brought your own wine. Do you know if they had any Stammtisch events at Vines? I really enjoy these wine and food parings.

We were also on this cruise. Corey really was everywhere. He must wear roller skates lol. We felt that buffet at lunch was not as good as usual and we were just on Emerald in September. Dinner was usually good- same complaint about the meat trio. The food and service at both Sabatinis and The Crown Grill was excellent. Interestingly, the captain of our section in the Michelangelo Dining room ( we had Traditional dining- late seating) came over to our table only once on this cruise. We are not used to this, on all our other cruises, and we’re Platinum, he came over almost every night. Not sure if it was just the Crown, but we felt that Princess dining was not as good as it had previously been.

We’ll be on the Diamond soon so we’ll have a comparison.

We loved the comedian and saw him in both the Princess Theater and the Explorers Lounge. Sorry we missed you in voice of the ocean. Congratulations on your win.

We enjoyed the ports. St. Thomas and Grand Turk are both still affected by the hurricane. We went to town in St. Thomas and many stores were powered by generators. I gather that power is only back to 40% of the island. In Grand Turk we took a tour of the island. The museum, library and light house are not open due to hurricane damage. Our driver said that most people now have power.

Overall, a fun cruise. Totally freezing in the Northeast US. I wish we were back in the Caribbean. Safe travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your review and congrats on winning. You made me happy saying that the new beds were in the mini suites and I would assume then the suites. Did you have Club Class dining? or just the new beds with the new bedding?

I was soooo happy about the 10 am embark time. Never had that ever. Hopefully on our cruise it will be early.

Any noro??

Thanks for your review and congrats on winning. You made me happy saying that the new beds were in the mini suites and I would assume then the suites. Did you have Club Class dining? or just the new beds with the new bedding?

I was soooo happy about the 10 am embark time. Never had that ever. Hopefully on our cruise it will be early.

Any noro??

None that I know of and I was also on that cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the great review.

Always loved the Crown but have been doing the Regal these past few years so it's good to hear it's still great since I may be going on the 2/18 sailing.

There are some great features on the Regal, it's really a lovely ship, but the balconies are just too damn small.

They recently added a large number of new titles for contestants to choose from, so I sang a bit of classic Lou Rawls.....

Congrats on your win - that was a great performance. I'm sailing on the Crown in April, so really appreciated your review. I'm hoping to compete in Voice of the Ocean as well!

Mo

Congrats on your win - that was a great performance. I'm sailing on the Crown in April, so really appreciated your review. I'm hoping to compete in Voice of the Ocean as well!

Mo

Enjoy your cruise!

The ship will be in great shape since it will have just completed a 10 day dry dock refurbishment.

If I could score a great drop & go fare, I'd sail her again in a heartbeat.