Looking for a comparison

Sunseeker1001

I planning a future cruise. I am looking for feedback from people who have cruised on both lines in similar 'class' cabins. How do you compare the service, size of cabin and features of both lines? How about quality of included excursions? How about the pre-cruise interaction with the reservation desk, questions pre-cruise answers? How are the services of Guest Services?

Any feedback will be appreciated.clear.png?emoji-fingerscrossed-2012clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927

TS (OP) also started a thread under “ask a cruise question” forum to compare O with Viking. Using the search function (upper right) in the O forum lead to many threads on this subject...notably, the most recent...https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345883&highlight=Viking

There are quite a few other threads also. Depending on time of year, itinerary, ship...etc, you can come up with pros and cons for both lines....i would personally start by researching itineraries that i would want to go on, and go from there, to ship size, amenities, etc.

The biggest difference is Viking includes an excursion in every port. This is built into the price. Personally I do not want a tour in every port. We are independent travelers and prefer DIY or private tours. (A few O life tours are OK but I don’t want one every day.)

I should have been more specific. Admin. said I should post on both threads and provided me the links.

I want to compare Viking Ocean with Oceana cruises. Both offer about the same itineraries but the price for Oceana is more. I have been on 1 Viking Ocean to the Adriatic and enjoyed it but I know others who say "only Oceana". Wanted some unbiased information from travelers who had done both. Cabin size, service, etc. Have a trip in mind but trying to decide if I need to pay the extra $$ to go on Oceana. Suspect that Viking Ocean is taking some business away from Oceana.

Now any input will be much appreciated.

I should have been more specific. Admin. said I should post on both threads and provided me the links.

I want to compare Viking Ocean with Oceana cruises. Both offer about the same itineraries but the price for Oceana is more. I have been on 1 Viking Ocean to the Adriatic and enjoyed it but I know others who say "only Oceana". Wanted some unbiased information from travelers who had done both. Cabin size, service, etc. Have a trip in mind but trying to decide if I need to pay the extra $$ to go on Oceana. Suspect that Viking Ocean is taking some business away from Oceana.

Now any input will be much appreciated.

Let me first say we have not cruised on Viking yet and to be honest, we have no plans to. A couple of negatives that come to mind of which we have read about, which may or may not be true, as again we have not cruised with Viking Ocean.

1. We like going to an evening show in the main theater after dinner. Viking doesn't offer one.

2. We like being rewarded for going on multiple cruises with the same cruise line. Viking doesn't offer a rewards program.

3. We like picking from a variety of cruise-sponsored excursions and getting a discount if you purchase a significant amount. Viking offers one free one per port (their choice) of which you pay for in the cruise price. All others you will pay a charge for. In addition, there is a class system, even between veranda cabin levels where the higher lever room gets to book their excursions before lower level veranda cabin passengers.

4. As far as same itineraries, Oceania offers a much wider variety fleet-wide than Viking, unless you are simply referring to the two similar cruises you are comparing.

But, that's just us. You need to make your own decision. BTW you didn't mention which Oceania ship you are comparing against Viking. That also makes a difference because the newer O class ships are much different and offer more variety in onboard activities and much larger veranda bathrooms than their older R class ships.

Thank you Ken. All the comments you made about Viking Ocean are correct. We don't normally do the nightly shows so we didn't miss them. I know that the cost of the included was obviously included but I didn't see it on my bill at the end of the cruise...out of mind then. I have never cruised in one of the premier suites; am perfectly happy with a nice veranda cabin. May try a more 'classy' one sometime; it might spoil me ;0

I was comparing two cruises. One was on the Oceana Regatta vs. the Viking Sun. Almost the same itinerary. Extra cost for airfare was within $150/pp.

Hope for some more input from someone who has done both.

Just a nitpick, which may have been made earlier -- if so, I didn't see it. I did see it on ANOTHER thread, perhaps from a different poster. It helps to spell Oceania's name correctly! Oceana refers to another ship entirely.

I am assuming you do mean "Oceania" but it's hard for us to know.

We agree with Ken that we have no plans to sail with Viking Ocean, so you should feed that into our comments. I know that there are Oceania "fans" who DO like Viking Ocean.

But we did three Viking riverboat cruises and the last one was so poor that we don't feel inclined to try the ocean trips ... especially since we are among those who don't like the "free" land tours included in our fare.

We may change our minds given the right itinerary ... Nothing is written in stone.

Mura

Thank you Mura. I did mistype the name - it is Oceania. Further, I do agree about Viking River cruises. We did the European river cruises on Vantage and thought we got a better tour, better accommodations, etc. Had the opportunity to see their cabins and compare with what we had and I know that we had nicer, larger ones with the same 'class'. That was in 2007 and 2014.

Thank you Ken. All the comments you made about Viking Ocean are correct. We don't normally do the nightly shows so we didn't miss them. I know that the cost of the included was obviously included but I didn't see it on my bill at the end of the cruise...out of mind then. I have never cruised in one of the premier suites; am perfectly happy with a nice veranda cabin. May try a more 'classy' one sometime; it might spoil me ;0

I was comparing two cruises. One was on the Oceana Regatta vs. the Viking Sun. Almost the same itinerary. Extra cost for airfare was within $150/pp.

If I might add one more thing about Oceania. I forgot to mention what caught our eye about Oceania in the first place as we used to cruise on HAL quite a bit.

We were reading an Oceania brochure and read about how they serve filet mignon, lobster and crab at their grill every night up in the Terrace Cafe buffet. We had read their focus was on food, but we were definitely intrigued. Then, sure enough, on our first cruise on the Riviera, we wound up eating outside up at the Terrace Cafe every night we weren't eating in one of their specialty restaurants as they served the same food up there as they did in the MDR. And for us eating a fabulous dinner every night under the stars out on the Terrace continues to be a memory we will always cherish.

My point being if I had to describe Oceania with one word it would be Food and that includes all of the wonderful desserts they offer every day as well!

Ken,

Not wishing to change the subject of this thread, but (with apologies to OP)....

As you seem to love the food on Oceania - as do we - how do you compare the food (just the food) to that on Crystal, seeing that you have cruised with Crystal a couple of times. We are taking our first Crystal cruise ina month.

TIA

Ken,

Not wishing to change the subject of this thread, but (with apologies to OP)....

As you seem to love the food on Oceania - as do we - how do you compare the food (just the food) to that on Crystal, seeing that you have cruised with Crystal a couple of times. We are taking our first Crystal cruise ina month.

TIA

The food in Crystal's MDR was great and the service was the best we have ever experienced. Even the maitre d's remembered our names when we would arrive every evening. We would also eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR most of the time and the food was always impeccable! We tried the buffet a few times in the morning and had no complaints, but we definitely opted to eat in the MDR if we didn't have an early excursion.

The specialty dining restaurants had their own specialties which were also great, but we always looked forward to eating in the MDR. After the show we would go to the bistro where they had a dessert and fruit bar that always had some sort of chocolate dessert to try as well as other tasty tidbits. Tastes, by the pool was also good as a change of pace for lunch.

Also, the wine they serve at dinner, which is included in the price, were quality wines and they had no problem keeping your glasses filled. If I had to say one thing about the food, I'd say get ready to be spoiled. We were on the Serenity on our first 2 cruises and we are looking forward to cruising on the Symphony in 2019.

I can't say the food was any better than Oceania's, but eating in the Crystal MDR was an experience of elegance we will long remember.

I was comparing two cruises. One was on the Oceana Regatta vs. the Viking Sun.

I know you want input from those who have sailed on both but might not get a lot on this board being as Viking Ocean is still quite new. And forgive my comments as I have not sailed with them.

Good that you have now provided some details for a comparison. For me there is really more than one part; i.e. the CL in general and the ship.

O has two classes, the older, smaller R ships (< ~700 pax) and the newer, more modern décor O ships (< ~1300 pax). Both are extremely well maintained. O spends 10s of MM on each dry dock. I only mention that to temper concerns of an older vessel. Regatta, an R ship, has "classic" décor like an old English country estate. O ship's modern décor is fabulous soft goods and wonderful art. VO has a modern look, I've not experienced so don't know the quality and feel with, ~ 950 pax is between the two for capacity.

For your comparison I suggest you review many pictures of both ships so you get a feel for the ship itself.

I mention this because even in this board O class vs R class preferences can be strong with posters in both camps as well as the "I like both" group. Some only want the smaller ship and it ambience, others want the more modern décor.

I'll add that while O is my preferred CL, and the only one we currently have booked, I would be interested with a VO cruise but the included excursions do not appeal to me. The current minimal look décor is not my favourite and maybe a little cold for me. That said, VO is still of interest though I would want to do more research before making a purchase as you are doing here.

Enjoy your choice.

Edited by YoHoHo