HAL Zuiderdam Dec 6 to 17 11 Sunfarer Mini Review

pamrose228

This was my first HAL cruise booked in celebration of my 30th anniversary and 2 years of cancer remission. Wanted something more mature, good food choices less children. There were 2 on the cruise.

Loved the itinerary, ports and amount of sea days. Booked May 2018 with a well known online TA.

24 year old son not sure if he would join us but as it turned out his fare was free. Got many great perks and son joined us.

Now the waiting began.

Started a roll call. Booked Dora for a 4 hour Cartagena tour which was wonderful.

Booked Ricky Ricardo for a 7 hour Costa Rica tour more on this later.

All other tours jumped on at port.

Stayed in Delray Beach for a week prior to cruise with car rental. Returned the car to FLL day of embarking got a $10 Ride to port.

Was placed in group one and ease of embarkment was the best I have experienced on any cruise. Dropped carry on off met cabin stewards both which were excellent. Cabin was nice for three of us with a convertible sofa bed. Stewart pushed it aside to give 6’4” son more leg room. Bathroom best on any ship I’ve cruised on.

Newly refurbished ship looks delightful.

Was in cabin 4088 upper promenade partial view mid ship. All glass wall loved it.

First order of business embarkation lunch in MDR. Before I even started I go to head waiter to discuss dietary needs and he said later at dinner. I ate a very simple low sugar/low carb lunch it was good.

Next up sailaway by the Seaview bar.

Btw I bought the non alcoholic drink package $220 for 11 days including grats. Got all the specialty coffee, tea,soda, mock tails and of course different waters. I figured it would have been $1000 if bought separately .

More to come. Be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums1fe83ced9ed8ef95cff63fc3a2d38824.jpg

Edited by pamrose228

After sailaway which was on time and meeting up with friendly cc folks we check out the venues on the ship B.B. Kings, Mainstage, Piano Bar, Lincoln Center, the Shops, etc.

We return to cabin, luggage there already so unpack, change outfit and freshen up.

Dinner time already. We were there at 5:45 none of the rest of the table of 8 showed up until after 6.

Went to head waiter again about special diet, he told me to come back after breakfast next day.

Had to grill waiter about sugar levels. Plain grilled salmon and steamed veggies dinner for the night. Everyone wearing shorts in MDR I assumed that was standard for non elegant nights

Went to the 8:30 mainstage intro show, meet CD Saul really nice guy. Show was meh.

Piano Duet was very dull. Ship was quiet by 9 pm we settled down by 11 pm. Figured everyone tired from embarkation and 8 am Port call to HMC next day.

One thing that bothered me was the 8 am to 2:00pm port of call time planned for the next day. Why not 10 to 4.?

Guys stayed on HMC for bbq, I had a salad (best salad bar ever) on the Lido.

First gala night in a few hours.

Oh by the way couldn’t find head waiter after breakfast. Too many people in MDR at same time.

BTW the buffet was far superior to any other cruise lines I have been on. Was there for half lunches or more and a couple dinners. RCI Windjammer pales in comparison.

Elegant night dinner lobster tails were actually good had three plain ones and a shrimp cocktail with baked potato and steamed veggies

Still waiting for head waiter figured for sea day next day would catch up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums2c90a8795d3323ce85f7436f404f04cc.jpg6989ec3141f526a913bbbe48349b25ed.jpg7cedb8cedb8d495397a03e4ac2abe5c4.jpg

Edited by pamrose228

Enjoying your review and photos. Nice your son joined you. We have cruised several times with our adult kids-always something for everyone.

Congratulations on your anniversary and remission. Our first cruise we took was to Alaska when our son was in remission-wonderful memories.

Thanks for posting your review. I'm disappointed to hear that the headwaiter wasn't more attentive to your dietary questions. We don't have restrictions, but we've sat with people who did, and they were taken care of well from the start. Did you let HAL know of your issues before you sailed? It seems the staff have a list of people they "visit" at dinner each night to go over the next day's menus. Maybe if you don't give them advance warning, it's hard to get on the list. (Not excusing HAL, just suggesting a reason)

I love that salad bar. Everything is fresh and untouched. I tend to lower the nutritional value by adding a few things from the taco bar. No calories in guacamole, right?!?

Thanks for posting your review. I'm disappointed to hear that the headwaiter wasn't more attentive to your dietary questions. We don't have restrictions, but we've sat with people who did, and they were taken care of well from the start. Did you let HAL know of your issues before you sailed? It seems the staff have a list of people they "visit" at dinner each night to go over the next day's menus. Maybe if you don't give them advance warning, it's hard to get on the list. (Not excusing HAL, just suggesting a reason)

I love that salad bar. Everything is fresh and untouched. I tend to lower the nutritional value by adding a few things from the taco bar. No calories in guacamole, right?!?

of course i filled out special needs form. Even called HAL twice before cruise ti make sure they received it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

of course i filled out special needs form. Even called HAL twice before cruise ti make sure they received it.

and avocado is filled with nutrition and no sugar. I did the same. Just a spoonful but it was delish

Day 3

First sea day,

After breakfast (still no head waiter) i signed up for a galley tour. The other cruise lines used to do a tour but stopped, I found it fasinating planning food 1700 Pax and staff, I will attach a photo of entire cruise dinner menus,

We received an invitation to luncheon at The Pinnacle grill from our TA, It was awful. Got there at 12:30 didnt finish until 2:30. Orders all messed up no bread basket or drinks. What a disaster. Maitre'd rebooked us for

another lunch.

After lunch bathing suit time and lido sunbathing, no chair hogs on HAL.

Got lots of mail in the little mailbox on door, bought a Hanukah dreidel plate and affixed it to top of mailbox. Received many comments all nice from other pax. More on Hanukkah later.

Dinner time. Son was yelled at in the MDR because his bermuda shorts with button down shirt was not appropriate enough attire. He was better dressed then many men in messy pants. Every other cruise ive taken neat shorts were okay. Next day will look for pants in Aruba.

I guess part of is my generation not getting the formality. He ate on Lido and was fine with it.

That night mainstage had a show which was so memorable I forgot what it was. Did bump into Saul the CD after show and told him lunch story and he said lunch wouldnt do and would arrange for a dinner there.

Decks empty by 9, those oldtimers really know how to have a good time.

BB kings 9:30 show was great

14c6f4845ec01917dee1495c05a77274.jpgf79be54a73188351186af581f00edc18.jpge65d5aeb95d4d115a54bc149226d739c.jpg6e5d99b7aefc1335bc891f6e9fa86414.jpg

Day 4 - Aruba

Call time was from 1 to 11. We wished it was from 10 to 8. Didnt get to see the head waiter because we were on shore for dinner and we ate in the Lido for a late dinner. In Aruba, we found a tour for $20/person that took us around the island on one of those open trucks. the name of the company was Happy Hoppy Tours. Our guide was Glenn. We were taken to the Casibari rock formation, the natural bridge (or what was left of it), the Bushiribana gold mine, alto vista chapel, california lighthouse, and eagle beach. We all liked the tour and I'd recommend them. By the time we got back to the port, all the stores were closing down and we ran into a store where we bought some junk. No pants for my son were available though.

25158118_10210148638368483_3449282841083940472_n.jpg?oh=2700a65038cba9ad25f539d396297d12&oe=5AF6DE2B

25158248_10210148748811244_6651380778226862903_n.jpg?oh=dc051015ec24858b63d232d2fde9c40f&oe=5AF70A05

24852538_10210148659329007_3251181120429921629_n.jpg?oh=7b4069e28c6f9f7db6239a3e04c5e4e7&oe=5AECE5DB

A few tidbits:

Bought the Surf internet package(mid one) for $149 when we boarded. Shared the package with son, worked out very well until dh started to beg for time, even though he vowed to not be connected for the time.

Day 4 did my first bag of laundry stuffed it to the gills. Had a coupon for 10% off, well worth the $18.

One thing that bothered me was the 8 am to 2:00pm port of call time planned for the next day. Why not 10 to 4.?

The simple answer; those extra two hours (2:00 pm instead of 4:00 pm departure from HMC) are required for the ship's high speed run to Oranjestad, Aruba

10 cents advise: Next time; tell Guest Services you need to see the Dining Room Manager re: your daily dietary restrictions, Have them, preferably a guest services supervisor, set up an appointment for you with the DRM within 24 hrs of your arrival on board

Keep up the great work with your review :)

Day 5

Curacao

Call time 8am to 11pm a long SUNDAY, theory about long port time, day off for many of the crew

Unfortunately many places were closed.

Quick MDR breakfast

The port had few tour operators since many dont operate on SUNDAY. Around 9 am we found an ooerator with many a/c minivans. Charged $25/pp plus admissions it took arounds 1 hour for 10 people to fill up the van. We were ready to leave when both the guide and driver decided to go.

The tour was a complete on both the east and west of the island. Stopped at a flamingo village

2e844fb4462eb70c2c725789cc654cd8.jpg

Best part was the Hato caves there for a $10 price we got a full hour tour with a wonderful guide of these unusual above ground caves it was fun. Then we went to Cucacao Distillery and had many samples of the product. Of course Blue Curacao purchase was in my future. We headed over to the Spanish Water.

The fort was closed on SUNDAY,

We traveled through the neighborhoods of Curacao and then headed for Willamstad over the Queen Julianna span bridge.

The other bridge that only allows pedestians is the Queen Emma which shakes rattles and rolls when walking it.

The van dropped off folks who wanted to go to the beach and a few of opted for the full on downtown Curacao tour,

Along the streets we saw the Bridal Cake House, Jewish Cemetary, an many other old 1600s buildings. Jewish history in Curacao is rich and this was a big interest to us, unfortunately on Sunday both Synagogues were closed. Boo!!! I did get outside photos.

24909591_10210153291004796_4168048102348595023_n.jpg?oh=412e5d2be7bb3e2e2cdbc4ab09cccb19&oe=5AF6D527

The group disbanded and we walked around downtown for a while saw the Venazuelian Floating Market, took the ferry across the river, saw a parade. Most stores closed on SUNDAY.66bd240f44c3cfe4bbbabce39bb67d82.jpg

Walk back to ship around 4ish quick Lido lunch figured Lido dinner in a few hour.

Went back to cabin, phone message Pinnacle Grill would we like to have a comped dinner that night PERFECT. Made 7:30 reservation.

Dinner was good not great. DH and I had lobster bisque, yum, a huge shrimp cocktail and I had crabs which were okay he had lamb which he loved.

Finished by 9, took a stroll to watch port btw son ran back to downtown to get night photos.

24899753_10210155230333278_5957278699541943452_n.jpg?oh=157a52d7d92e1f054935f55b7c101c84&oe=5AF7C6A3

24909639_10210155230013270_4259797082108092815_n.jpg?oh=b9d6fec9aba241e111a4e5b26f531b68&oe=5AFC7A4F

24909903_10210155229693262_1206254672435068149_n.jpg?oh=d2787fa353b430fa9c6dda95e60bb00c&oe=5AB27DCF

Watched sailaway, tomorrows sea day much needed.

Btw no pants found for son all stores closed.

I cant imagine NYC closing down on Sunday.

Edited by pamrose228