Barcelona

mac9

I have never been to Barcelona, so I would love to hear from anyone that has been, planning on going a day before our cruise so any recommendations in what area we should book our hotel , any tips you have would really be appreciated .... also how soon should I book my flight for our cruise in Oct.5 2018 and what is the airport like? . What is the Barcelona port like? Are lineups long for boarding,what is that area like?

Thank you very much for any info....

We stayed in Barcelona for 4 days after our Med. cruise. LOVE that city! We stayed at the Regina hotel and thought it was the perfect location. Very close to La Rambles and the HOHO bus. We’ve considered going back to Spain on land based vacation.

I would recommend staying the day after cruise as you should be rested. That's my plan this time.

Last year on cruise out of Venice my flight was delayed and got to Venice 12 hours late and missed the whole day site seeing. So my trip to Barcelona this year I'm staying a day extra to be sure I get to site see.

Sent from my Z956 using Forums mobile app

I have never been to Barcelona, so I would love to hear from anyone that has been, planning on going a day before our cruise so any recommendations in what area we should book our hotel , any tips you have would really be appreciated .... also how soon should I book my flight for our cruise in Oct.5 2018 and what is the airport like? . What is the Barcelona port like? Are lineups long for boarding,what is that area like?

Thank you very much for any info....

We've enjoyed Hotel Jazz several times, very conveniently located, clean, reasonably priced.

If you are going to the

Sagrada Familia, get your tickets ahead of time online. If you try to get them at the church you will be faced with long lines and probably won't be able to get them for that day.

We love Barcelona! If Sagrada is of interest, we got earliest admit time reservations - really enjoyed the time but by the time we were done the church was packed, glad we saw it with few people inside. We also found we could walk to most areas - loved the Old Gothic quarter and wandered enjoying the sites. One day will only let you scratch the surface.

I also like the Gothic quarter!

Make sure you take a walk and drink around the Marina too...and to see where your ship will be!

When eating out choose carefully...many restaurants in the very touristy areas are cheap style low quality Paella and tasetless sangria spots...this is especially true for La Ramblas. Restaurants in the quieter areas are often much better quality with better prices because they have to attract folk away from the main strips.

We spent 3 days in Barcelona (trip was prior to TA that we canceled but still went to Spain on land trip). So cannot speak about the pier. We stayed in a flat for 3 nights across from La Sagrada de Familia. Aerobus from airport. Transfer to metro to our flat. Rode the metro and walked a ton. Las Ramblas is fun. Be sure to visit the big market. Be aware of pickpockets.

If you have time visit La Sagrada--get as early an entry as you can to get there before the crowds build. We did the first entry time. but we were practically across the street. Plan (and purchase ticket) to go up one of the towers and walk the stairs back down (if you are able).

Restaurants do not serve dinner until 7 or 8 pm. That was an adjustment. But lots of dining outside.

We also stayed at Hotel Jazz, both before and after our cruise. It was very handy for sightseeing around the Gothic Centre.

We discovered a gorgeous little bakery/cafe quite close to the hotel: turn left out of the hotel, cross the road and go down the side street, left again at the bottom and just past where the street narrows you'll find the bakery on the right. Delicious food and decent espresso.

Definitely book for La Sagrada Familia ahead of time. We chose late afternoon and the light inside the cathedral was stunning. It was busy but not overcrowded. We also did both HoHo routes and enjoyed seeing parts of the city we would not have gone to on foot.

The cruise terminal was great. We got there quite early, around 10:30am, and had priority boarding (platinum). There was a lovely lounge area with beverages and snacks and convenient rest rooms. We had a short wait then boarded immediately after the elite priority group. Disembarkation was also good, luggage was easy to find and we only had a short wait for a taxi. Taxis in Barcelona are quite cheap and very good.

thank you for all your helpful tips...anxiously waiting for our trip in Oct..

We also stayed at Hotel Jazz, both before and after our cruise. It was very handy for sightseeing around the Gothic Centre.

We discovered a gorgeous little bakery/cafe quite close to the hotel: turn left out of the hotel, cross the road and go down the side street, left again at the bottom and just past where the street narrows you'll find the bakery on the right. Delicious food and decent espresso.

Definitely book for La Sagrada Familia ahead of time. We chose late afternoon and the light inside the cathedral was stunning. It was busy but not overcrowded. We also did both HoHo routes and enjoyed seeing parts of the city we would not have gone to on foot.

The cruise terminal was great. We got there quite early, around 10:30am, and had priority boarding (platinum). There was a lovely lounge area with beverages and snacks and convenient rest rooms. We had a short wait then boarded immediately after the elite priority group. Disembarkation was also good, luggage was easy to find and we only had a short wait for a taxi. Taxis in Barcelona are quite cheap and very good.

thank you for your helpful tips

We spent 3 days in Barcelona (trip was prior to TA that we canceled but still went to Spain on land trip). So cannot speak about the pier. We stayed in a flat for 3 nights across from La Sagrada de Familia. Aerobus from airport. Transfer to metro to our flat. Rode the metro and walked a ton. Las Ramblas is fun. Be sure to visit the big market. Be aware of pickpockets.

If you have time visit La Sagrada--get as early an entry as you can to get there before the crowds build. We did the first entry time. but we were practically across the street. Plan (and purchase ticket) to go up one of the towers and walk the stairs back down (if you are able).

Restaurants do not serve dinner until 7 or 8 pm. That was an adjustment. But lots of dining outside.

thank you, will definitely check into the Metro card

The Barcelona Metro is very easy to use and a great way to get around. There's a T10 card that gives you 10 rides for around 10 Euros, and it can be shared.

We like the Las Ramblas Hotel, seventh floor or above, at the rear or West side of hotel. Found a great little Turkish grill just left from hotel, left on first street and it's on the left. The hotel has a terrific full breakfast also. Don't miss the indoor market up the street and try the lunch counter at the rear. Go several days early or stay late, you never know if or when you'll get back to this beautiful city.

I would recommend the Hop On Hop Off buses (HoHo bus) for an nice orientation to Barcelona. You could easily make a day of visiting sites while riding the HoHo bus.

La Segrada Familia is a masterpiece and well worth the visit. I was especially moved by the tour of the inside of this remarkable church.

Be sure to visit the old city.

Neal

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The website for Hotel 1898 has a booking option for Hotel Jazz. Your date for Friday Oct 5 shows Hotel Jazz at a 30% discount with rooms at $161.00, the Jazz website show $230 for the same night.. Maybe Bob or Clara will chime in if this is a good rate. happy cruising. PS.. This is a good time to book your flight, if you are using Royals Air2Ssea be sure to look at booking two one way flights as they are usually cheaper than a round trip price.