Mold on the Breakaway?

Also, some of those noises are by design. As noted above the interior and exterior are different beasts but they are connected and some of those connections are designed to flex with ship movement, sometimes resulting in various noises. Add that in to the general rattle of things like ceiling panels, stuff in cabinets, etc it can make for quite a disturbing racket, but its actually a good thing, means that things are moving as designed in those conditions. Its when things are too rigif and locked in place you get damage.

(Side note, just as a general precaution I am 100 percent sure there was a full visual inspection of every inch of the exterior before she sailed again)

Hello All,

What do you think about nexts cruises on this boat with the water infiltration ? We made a reservation for march 2018 and my parents are scared about the damages on the boat and even the strength of it (the boat made some strange sounds in the winter storm!)

Thanks !

Hello All,

What do you think about nexts cruises on this boat with the water infiltration ? We made a reservation for march 2018 and my parents are scared about the damages on the boat and even the strength of it (the boat made some strange sounds in the winter storm!)

Thanks !

Welcome to Cruise Critic's!:)

I am sailing on the very next cruise on the Breakaway, and I can hardly wait!!!:D

Hello All,

Thanks !

Well, we went through Hurricane Sandy on the Jewel 5 years ago and she's still sailing. Yes, there were lots of groans at the height of the storm but in the end there was only one bannister that sided the jogging track that needed to be re-soldered. All other damage - one cracked shop window and broken liquor bottles that hadn't been sufficiently secured.

Well, we went through Hurricane Sandy on the Jewel 5 years ago and she's still sailing. Yes, there were lots of groans at the height of the storm but ...
Exactly and for real. We boarded the Gem, sister ship after it return to NYC @ Pier 88, on backup generator & no heating, etc. - sailed out to sea against the incoming Nor-Easter, 30' to 40' waves and strong gale force+ wind ...

Believe it for not, the crew and officers live, work and sleep on the ship 24/7 for months at a stretch, below the passenger decks while we come and go - anyone really believed that they will ignore problems and not deal with it or mitigate accordingly ... they don't get to go "home" to brag on YT. The ship IS their home away from home.

P.S. Do thank them for their hard work and their clean-up efforts ... Snowrose and many others on CC do, and we do, too.

This thread is hilarious!

A broken pipe in your house flooding your living room is completely different than flooding of living quarters on a passenger ship!

The ship is fine. A few corroded parts here and there that no one really notices gets picked up by busy worker rounds.

The media acts like they had a one meter through hull below the water line all night! :D

Cheers,

Norman

Well...if there is even an ounce of mold on the ship my brother who is allergic will react to it....exaggerating of course but he is highly allergic to mold. So here's hoping our Jan 19th cruise is easy sailing for him and the rest of us.

Well...if there is even an ounce of mold on the ship my brother who is allergic will react to it....exaggerating of course but he is highly allergic to mold. So here's hoping our Jan 19th cruise is easy sailing for him and the rest of us.

I would bet there is an ounce of mold on any ship or any public building he visits too.

Seriously? I would think that was SOP?

Not anything that would have overly stressed the hull. Ships go through storms all the time, and no one inspects them.

If there was a known high stress point in the design of the ship, they may inspect some of the frames inside the hull at that point, but certainly not the entire hull.

I think in would be safe to say that they brought on pro's to dry that carpet, no way the crew cold accomplish that with so many areas of the ship effected. I also think they must have had an army of people come in to repair the ship in order to turn her around in abut the 24 hours that it took.

I believe there is a grain, perhaps more than a grain, of truth to all these stories. I choose to read between the lines, give the benefit of the doubt and let it be.
So, therefore, I should not worry about any mold because there "may or may not be" any truth to it. Once on board if my brother has an allergic reaction I will deal with it then.....maybe drop him off at the nearest port. :rolleyes:

So, therefore, I should not worry about any mold because there "may or may not be" any truth to it. Once on board if my brother has an allergic reaction I will deal with it then.....maybe drop him off at the nearest port. :rolleyes:

I will take you at your word that you would do something like that. Because you believe everything you read on the internet. And so should we.

Suggest that he not sail on any ship ever, because in the moist environment that is a cruise ship, you can be sure that mold is around.

I reported mold recently on another NCL ship and it took them three days to correct the problem.

I question their concern about correcting guest reported problems.

I ran short of patience on the third day and insisted they do something.

The short version is I could have fixed it myself in about ten minutes if I had the materials and tools.

I'm concerned how the ship will air out when it is constantly in a moisture laden environment. The videos show water pouring down stairwells, hothats, elevator shafts, and seeping through ceiling panels. Moisture behind those areas has no direct airflow.

I'm concerned how the ship will air out when it is constantly in a moisture laden environment. The videos show water pouring down stairwells, hothats, elevator shafts, and seeping through ceiling panels. Moisture behind those areas has no direct airflow.

The air handling systems on a ship whether it is heating or cooling will take care of humidity in the enclosed areas. The systems are very effective otherwise being in an enclosed area like a ship would be fairly unbearable.

bosco

I will take you at your word that you would do something like that. Because you believe everything you read on the internet. And so should we.
I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from or what you are talking about. There is nothing in what I've said on this thread that implies I believe everything I read on the internet. Go find someone else to pick on...or better yet go take a nice long walk. :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from or what you are talking about. There is nothing in what I've said on this thread that implies I believe everything I read on the internet. Go find someone else to pick on...or better yet go take a nice long walk. :rolleyes:

I don't blame you for ignoring your own posts, they are quite tedious.

I know this is a little off topic, but it relates to the ill-fated cruise.

We were on the 12/29 NYE cruise caught in the storm . Just received an e-mail from NCL. They are giving us 25% off the cost of a future cruise. We have 1 year to use it. No worries we are going on the Gem next Christmas/NYE emoji3.png

Post #3: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54975276&posted=1#post54975276

This is apparently the email they got:

26239753_10155268401225975_2705159146006226432_n.jpg?oh=ad5639ade1cda76e2dfe2d1ff81b5292&oe=5AF87A67