State Department Mexico Travel Ban

jlesw

The U.S. State Department has issued a travel ban for the Mexican Sates that include Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan which are two ports on our Ruby Princess Cruise in February. There is also a Tier 2 Travel Warning for Cabo San Lucus, our other port. Thoughts? Itinerary change? No action? I trust Princess with our safety, but still...?

The U.S. State Department has issued a travel ban for the Mexican Sates that include Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan which are two ports on our Ruby Princess Cruise in February. There is also a Tier 2 Travel Warning for Cabo San Lucus, our other port. Thoughts? Itinerary change? No action? I trust Princess with our safety, but still...?

Didn't see a BAN. There is a "do not travel" advisory.

These bans/advisories have been on and off and on and off for years.

At the same time that cruisers worry about this tons of Canadian and USA citizens have been spending winters on land vacations throughout Mexico including in the areas mentioned in the "advisories".

We have also traveled by land and sea to these areas and have never had a problem. I would tend to ignore this info especially when these places in Mexico are being compared to Syria and Afghanistan in terms of danger??

Found the following:

"The country’s main tourism destinations — Cancún, the Mayan Riviera, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Nayarit, and Mexico City — have no travel restrictions, Mexico’s tourism secretariat said in a statement."

Other than Cabo & Cozumel I'm considering it a ban. It's getting much worst than years ago & a Mexican coast cruise is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

I'm so happy to hear that the Mexican tourism dept gave everyone assurance that everything is fine. ;);)

Nothing to worry about....be happy. :D

These bans/advisories have been on and off and on and off for years.

At the same time that cruisers worry about this tons of Canadian and USA citizens have been spending winters on land vacations throughout Mexico including in the areas mentioned in the "advisories".

We have also traveled by land and sea to these areas and have never had a problem. I would tend to ignore this info especially when these places in Mexico are being compared to Syria and Afghanistan in terms of danger??

Well Riff, I certainly would not recommend ignoring these travel warnings. Mexico has suffered from a great deal of crime recently, spreading throughout its States into some tourist areas. While the warnings may or may no affect the cruise industry's willingness to call on a port, I would suggest some cautions be taken in the areas within the regions covered by the warning. It is really too bad that the drug violence has escalated to this extent.

People are killed every day here in the USA. You may not realize it but there are European tourists who are afraid to come here!

I don't listen to the tourist board of Mexico but I DO listen to the folks who are "snow birds" and live in those Mexican cities over the winter.

They are not leaving or stopping their visits.

People are killed every day here in the USA. You may not realize it but there are European tourists who are afraid to come here!

I don't listen to the tourist board of Mexico but I DO listen to the folks who are "snow birds" and live in those Mexican cities over the winter.

Good luck in calling the State Department when you got your butt in a sling in Mexico. I can hear what they're going to say "We Told You So!". If anyone is afraid to travel to the US, they need to stay at home, just like me for not traveling to Mexico.

What else can they do. They bought into Mexico years ago when things were different & now no one want's to move there. Sure every community has it's problems but why visit a known location where they seem to target the "rich" vacationers/foreigners?

The State Department travel advisory is for travel at night between cities. PV, Cabo and Mazatlan themselves are not part of the advisory and are considered safe. The Mexican government patrols the tourist areas to make sure the $$$ keep coming back. The lesson to be learned is to stay only in the tourist area and with a group. It is not the time to go exploring on your own. This applies to Jamaica as well. We were in all three cities in November and will be in Cabo in March.

Just off the Island Princess Tuesday .. we did several stops in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and the Panama Canal... military and police were armed and high visibility and we had no problem and heard of none

Obviously wouldn’t go wandering around the country on my own but felt very safe on our private tours .

Just like everywhere, you need to use summon sense.

As one who lives in Puerto Vallarta for several months a year (we are there now) we carefully read those State Department advisories. Folks should note that it is simply more of the same. For example, while there are warnings for parts of the State of Jalicso (which is Puerto Vallarta's State) the advisory specifically EXCLUDES Puerto Vallarta and its environs including places to the North such as Nuevo Vallarta which is in the State of Nayarit. Having lived here for the past dozen years we have no concerns about safety (day or night). Or course, cruisers (and visitors) need to remember that any tourist city has its local street crime....such as pick pockets. And there are some issues with some local taxis who think its OK to overcharge cruisers :). When we cruise we sometimes suggest to fellow passengers that wearing your cruise status on your sleeve (or having a lanyard around your neck with a cruise card) is simply a license for merchants and taxis to increase prices.

Hank

For those unfamiliar with the US State Department's travel advisory system,

"You can now access all of our safety and security information on one country page. So before you travel, check our Travel Advisory and Alerts for your destination(s) at www.travel.state.gov/destination. Be sure to read further country-specific details on the same page that could affect your travel, such as entry/exit requirements, local laws and customs, health conditions, transportation, and other relevant topics."

I'm sure that this has been mentioned but there is no "ban". It is a Travel advisory at the highest level. If you go to any of these places - be EXTREMELY careful. Frankly - I'm a combat veteran and I wouldn't (myself) go anywhere NEAR these places.

Good luck!

Good luck in calling the State Department when you got your butt in a sling in Mexico. I can hear what they're going to say "We Told You So!". If anyone is afraid to travel to the US, they need to stay at home, just like me for not traveling to Mexico.

I don't know if you are joking or serious, but just in case others - especially folks without a lot of international travel experience - are reading this thread, I need to assure them that one of the major duties of the State Department is to provide American citizen services to Americans living and/or traveling abroad. They wouldn't say "we told you so" and refuse to assist you.

If you stay with a tour group and use common sense, these places are fine! I was on the first cruise a few years ago that went to Cartagena, Columbia, after not allowing cruise ships there for many years and I just loved the city and their people. Now I did a cruise ship tour and not on my own to be sensible, but never felt threatened etc. Saw many army guys (and some were really cute!;p) with their guns protecting city and port, but no problem to me. If you go off on your own and do "dumb" things than you shouldn't even go to Europe these days!!! Or Asia........etc. etc. I was in Acupulco awhile ago on a cruise and there also felt fine (but saw even more armed army guys here than in Cartagena!) And as one person said, if you feel insecure just walk around close to the port where they have vendors, etc. or stay on board. Still wonderful thing to be doing- cruising! And maybe our next cruise will go down in price!!!

Pooh

Jalisco (home of PV) is not on this list. San Jose Del Cabo is a different city than Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo is where there is more risk. I went to PV twice last year (Cabo once) and as soon as I can book for next January I'll be back. But, I'm fine with other people staying away since that makes the lines for all their wonderful restaurants a little shorter.

As one who lives in Puerto Vallarta for several months a year (we are there now) we carefully read those State Department advisories. Folks should note that it is simply more of the same. For example, while there are warnings for parts of the State of Jalicso (which is Puerto Vallarta's State) the advisory specifically EXCLUDES Puerto Vallarta and its environs including places to the North such as Nuevo Vallarta which is in the State of Nayarit. Having lived here for the past dozen years we have no concerns about safety (day or night). Or course, cruisers (and visitors) need to remember that any tourist city has its local street crime....such as pick pockets. And there are some issues with some local taxis who think its OK to overcharge cruisers :). When we cruise we sometimes suggest to fellow passengers that wearing your cruise status on your sleeve (or having a lanyard around your neck with a cruise card) is simply a license for merchants and taxis to increase prices.

Hank

Thanks for the clarification. What is your favorite traditional Jalisco restaurant do you enjoy and is "health-safe"?

For those unfamiliar with the US State Department's travel advisory system,

"You can now access all of our safety and security information on one country page. So before you travel, check our Travel Advisory and Alerts for your destination(s) at www.travel.state.gov/destination. Be sure to read further country-specific details on the same page that could affect your travel, such as entry/exit requirements, local laws and customs, health conditions, transportation, and other relevant topics."

I went to the website. And it appears the State Dept warning has assigned a Level 4 to Do not travel to:

• Colima state due to crime.
  • Guerrero state due to crime.
  • Michoacán state due to crime.
  • Sinaloa state due to crime.
  • Tamaulipas state due to crime.

Cruise lines also pay for advice from private security contractors who really know the "nitty gritty". So it may be that some of the ports are safe enough.

If going to any of these areas, my feeling would be to only book a shore excursion through the ship.

Afghanistan has the same 'Do Not Travel' and assigned Level 4.