Spirits hold - Not to drink

Simmonds87

Travelling through the states on the way to Fort Lauderdale, visiting a few distilleries; we wanted to pick up a few bottles of our favourite for back home in the UK, is there any way that Celebrity would hold any bottles of spirits (not to be opened) until we dock back in the states? Or do they simple get confiscated at port?

I’ve read they wil hold stuff from the visiting ports, but not from boarding.

Are you on a transatlantic cruise or coming back to Florida and then flying home? You do run into some Customs issues either way.

But I will share this experience from a transatlantic cruise.

A few years ago I was bringing a special bottle to Europe. I wrapped it securely in bubble wrap, labeled it wit my name and cabin number, and turned it over to an officer on boarding. It was returned to me as we approached our destination. I hope something similar might still work for you.

As far as I know, on embarkation day they confiscate it and do not return it at the end of the cruise. The terminals are used by multiple ships and cruise lines.

It sounds like you need a place to leave it until you get back and can pick it up. You might consider a cheap car rental and leave it in the car in the parking garage.

I know there are many spirits not available in Europe. In my case I was bringing a bottle of Templeton Rye.

But as I said above, you do run into a customs problem if you are bring several bottle of liquor into the US from a cruise. The fact that they originated in the US and you took them on the cruise with you doesn't seem to matter.

Further, you run into similar regulation entering the U.K. Or other countries.

Given that, I emphasize again that I did not give the liquor to the terminal authorities, who's instructions are to confiscate liquor. I had them page an officer and I entrusted the special bottle to him. That's the course I recommend.

As far as I know, on embarkation day they confiscate it and do not return it at the end of the cruise. The terminals are used by multiple ships and cruise lines.

It sounds like you need a place to leave it until you get back and can pick it up. You might consider a cheap car rental and leave it in the car in the parking garage.

That's not true. They will hold it for you and return it the last evening of the cruise. Now, if you try to bring it on board in a mouthwash bottle, water bottle, or any other opened container, they will confiscate and dispose of it. If you bring unopened bottles, they will hold it for you. Just tell them, in your UK accent, that you plan to bring the bottles back to the UK after your cruise.

I once had 6 bottles of wine. They held 4 until the end of the cruise and returned it the last evening.

With regard to U.S. customs, I wouldn't bother to claim it when your ship returns since you purchased the bottles in the U.S. They just want to know what you purchased while on your cruise that you should claim. Just keep your receipts if you are questioned.

As far as UK customs bringing it back, you should be aware of those rules.

����

Great idea, the only issue is then that it has to go in your hold luggage for the trip back.

Well, that's the only way he can get it back to the UK, unless he mails it. I suggest he purchases a bunch of bubble wrap.

With regard to U.S. customs, I wouldn't bother to claim it when your ship returns since you purchased the bottles in the U.S. They just want to know what you purchased while on your cruise that you should claim. Just keep your receipts if you are questioned.

As far as UK customs bringing it back, you should be aware of those rules.

In fact, US Customs is only interested in the value of what a visitor will leave behind in the US. From the new Customs Declaration form:

VISITORS
—the total value of all articles that will remain in the U.S., including commercial merchandise is:

That's not true. They will hold it for you and return it the last evening of the cruise. Now, if you try to bring it on board in a mouthwash bottle, water bottle, or any other opened container, they will confiscate and dispose of it. If you bring unopened bottles, they will hold it for you. Just tell them, in your UK accent, that you plan to bring the bottles back to the UK after your cruise.

I once had 6 bottles of wine. They held 4 until the end of the cruise and returned it the last evening.

I think you got lucky... from their website:

"** *Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned."

"** *Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned."

I suspect that if you openly declare the extra bottles and indicate that you don't want them until the end of the cruise, they'll be happy to hold them for you. If you try to sneak them aboard and get caught, however, you're likely to lose them for good. This is similar to bringing wine or alcohol through Customs. If you are a bit over your allowance and declare it, they'll normally just wave you through, but if you try to sneak in some extra and they catch you, you'll probably end up paying for the excess at minimum.

Believe that in reality means open bottles. Many reports on this board of people bringing booze on board and Celebrity holding it until the end of the cruise.

Believe that in reality means open bottles. Many reports on this board of people bringing booze on board and Celebrity holding it until the end of the cruise.

If it's in your checked luggage and actually gets ON the ship before they find it, then yes, they will hold it because they have a place to do that onboard and you're dealing with Celebrity directly. If you carry it through security at the pier on embarkation day, then no, you'll lose it. Those people work for the port, not Celebrity, and they will not hold it for you until you come back.

I had a suitcase catch up with me at the first port of call once. I had to go ashore and claim it and then bring it onboard myself. I had a bottle of wine in it. One of my 2 allowed bottles. Since I didn't have my suitcase to remove it and carry it on at embarkation, it was still in there. They took it from me and did not return it. It was discovered going through security on the pier, not on the ship.

The OP should leave his in a suitcase and not mention it during embarkation or risk losing it, IMHO.

So, here's a question for those of you with experience. We will be on Constellation in June for three consecutive one week cruises. Prior to boarding we hope to buy 6 bottles of good wine during our pre-cruise drive through Tuscany.

Our hope is to show all 6, keep two, and have them hold the other four for the two subsequent cruises.

Is this possible/allowed, or will we just kissing those 4 bottles goodbye as we board?

Thanks for your responses!

So, here's a question for those of you with experience. We will be on Constellation in June for three consecutive one week cruises. Prior to boarding we hope to buy 6 bottles of good wine during our pre-cruise drive through Tuscany.

Our hope is to show all 6, keep two, and have them hold the other four for the two subsequent cruises.

Is this possible/allowed, or will we just kissing those 4 bottles goodbye as we board?

Thanks for your responses!

If you are embarking in Civitavecchia, the chances that they will challenge you at all is almost zero. I've carried on 3 cases for a TA for the purpose of bringing it back to the States for my own personal consumption, and was upset that they didn't confiscate and hold it until I returned to the States -- it took up too much room in my stateroom. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, if you are challenged, just tell them you are on a B2B2B, and they will take your stateroom number and return the wine the last night.