How do you carry your cruise card?

GoldieJ

If you’d like to wear a lanyard,please do. If you’d like to put it in your pocket, by all means. If you want to Velcro it to your forehead, go for it. Nothing you wear is going to ruin my cruise..[emoji849]. None of my business

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Put me down for lanyards. I have been on several cruises and every one of them I have found someone's card on the floor, in the restroom, in the Lido, you get the picture. In Alaska once we found someone's card in a stack of t-shirts at one of the stores. My husband is a belt and suspender guy and uses a lanyard but puts it in his shirt pocket. I don't like to carry a purse while I am on the ship. I know some people feel naked without one but to each his own. If you are offended by seeing someone who likes to use lanyards, simply divert your eyes. We will do everything in our power to get away from you so our mere presence doesn't ruin your cruise. Please try and get along. Really to each his own.

You know you hit a nerve(referring to one of the ant-lanyard posters)when even *Host Walt* chimes in for being pro-lanyards.

Put me down for lanyards. I have been on several cruises and every one of them I have found someone's card on the floor, in the restroom, in the Lido, you get the picture.

After more than 25 cruises I have never 'lost' my card, and I have also never worn a lanyard.

I guess I've just been lucky..:)

We shouldn't have to explain why we prefer lanyards,to be honest.Maybe some have disabilities and that makes life easier for them. Who knows(but if you give people trouble about lanyards for that reason-or any of them for that reason..time to check yo self.)

I've been lucky to have enjoyed over 100 cruises without losing my card despite not using a lanyard. I always have a purse of one sort or another with me AND MY Card goes in my wristlet, cross body or small evening clutch. I need the purse for reading glasses, tissue, lipstick tiny hair brush...and breath mints......... as along as I have the purse with me , I may as w elll put my card in it..

Just because I don' t use a lanyard, has no meaning to me in terms of anyone who chooses to use a lanyard Use one, don't, who c ares? do what you like.

The criticism of people who choose to use a lanyard is utterly ridiculous. And to denote those that do are "newbies" shows an ignorance that is incomprehensible. Does it really matter how other people choose to carry their card? If you don't want to use a lanyard - fine. If you do - fine. It's nobody else's business and no one will look at you strangely whichever you choose to do.

For any newbies reading this and other threads such as shorts on the first night etc - please be assured that life onboard the ship bears no relation to what you read here and co-passengers are, for the most part, really pleasant to sail with, and you will see no fits of the vapours requiring smelling salts at the sight of shorts or a lanyard.

We shouldn't have to explain why we prefer lanyards,to be honest.
This. There's a tendency among some folks to try to find every last possible bit of status that differentiates themselves from others. However, like it or not, what you wear doesn't really matter; how many times you've sailed in the past doesn't really matter; and how you carry your cruise card doesn't really matter. The indicator of status that matters in this context is how much money you're giving the cruise line for this cruise, and will be giving the cruise line in the future.

The criticism of people who choose to use a lanyard is utterly ridiculous. And to denote those that do are "newbies" shows an ignorance that is incomprehensible. Does it really matter how other people choose to carry their card? If you don't want to use a lanyard - fine. If you do - fine. It's nobody else's business and no one will look at you strangely whichever you choose to do.

For any newbies reading this and other threads such as shorts on the first night etc - please be assured that life onboard the ship bears no relation to what you read here and co-passengers are, for the most part, really pleasant to sail with, and you will see no fits of the vapours requiring smelling salts at the sight of shorts or a lanyard.

It's a shame how often things like this need to be said in this forum.

THIS!!!! Thanks for posting this! So true! It needs to be said from time to time. I don't think some realize how what is read here may affect someone's decision to sail on HAL in a negative way. Posting efforts could so much more be better utilized in a positive way.

THIS!!!! Thanks for posting this! So true! It needs to be said from time to time. I don't think some realize how what is read here may affect someone's decision to sail on HAL in a negative way. Posting efforts could so much more be better utilized in a positive way.

I have said the same thing several times but always get shouted down(and always in a less than nice way.)

As for what is considered a "newbie".I haven't gone on as many cruises as some, but I've been cruising with HAL since 2008 or so.And there's been a few years between a few of those cruises(but the last few years it's been a yearly thing..I look forward to it.)

What's wrong with being a newbie? Isn't everyone one at some point? I love being a newbie and I really appreciate the guidance of more experienced cruisers. That said, I personally find the lanyards annoying. All the bouncing around messes with my freedom of movement. As someone whose smart phone is usually glued to my hand, I wish I could keep my room card with it in its wallet case. On my first cruise on the Veendam I found out the hard(newbie) way that the electronics of it erases the card data. I have heard that this might be different on my next cruise on the Koningsdam. Does anyone know anything about that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What's wrong with being a newbie? Isn't everyone one at some point? I love being a newbie and I really appreciate the guidance of more experienced cruisers. That said, I personally find the lanyards annoying. All the bouncing around messes with my freedom of movement. As someone whose smart phone is usually glued to my hand, I wish I could keep my room card with it in its wallet case. On my first cruise on the Veendam I found out the hard(newbie) way that the electronics of it erases the card data. I have heard that this might be different on my next cruise on the Koningsdam. Does anyone know anything about that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

From what I understand it’s magnetic closures in iPhone/iPad cases that deactivates the card rather than the devices themselves.

I actually carry all my magnetic cards right next to my phone in Tyvek envelops. In 13 years I've never had a problem with a card demagnitizing. You can get a Tyvek envelope from your bank or order them on amazon. I turn off my phone on vacation so I have never used specifically Holland cards with Tyvek, but they work for every other card.

We always use the lanyard. It's easy to carry and doesn't get lost. If somebody takes offense to as to the way we carry our cruise card, they have some personal issues to deal with. So my advice is... deal with it.;)

Seriously though! If you are so bored on the cruise that you have time to complain about how strangers carry their things you might want to contact your cruise director for some more activities

Why would anyone wear a lanyard, it just reeks of "I'm a newbie, look at me"!

Seriously? LOL I'm a 4 start Mariner and hardly a "newbie" but even if I was, what's wrong with that? We all were "newbies" ... um... when we were newbies...

I find this conversation extremely amusing, if at the same time a bit disturbing! I love my lanyards, never in a million years considered that other people might be bothered by them, or even notice them! Really, people, how silly can you get? Also, to the person who said it's the "magnetic closures" that cause phones to deactivate cards, I don't think this is true since I don't have a magnetic case on my phone and I used to have key problems regularly until I started putting my card on a lanyard. Honestly, I can't believe we are actually having this discussion! LOL

Seriously? LOL I'm a 4 start Mariner and hardly a "newbie" but even if I was, what's wrong with that? We all were "newbies" ... um... when we were newbies...

I find this conversation extremely amusing, if at the same time a bit disturbing! I love my lanyards, never in a million years considered that other people might be bothered by them, or even notice them! Really, people, how silly can you get? Also, to the person who said it's the "magnetic closures" that cause phones to deactivate cards, I don't think this is true since I don't have a magnetic case on my phone and I used to have key problems regularly until I started putting my card on a lanyard. Honestly, I can't believe we are actually having this discussion! LOL

DITTO and spot on!!

Last count 120 posts (whoops guess I've now made it 121) about such a silly subject. Now if it were something really important like what kind of shoes or shirts one wore into the dining room I'd certainly be understanding - provided I was given time to pop some pop-corn prior to reading the thread. I guess when I get to the point that I need to carry around all my face and hair products while onboard the ship :eek: I might revert to carrying a bag of some kind but until then folks just avert your eyes and you won't have to see my lanyard! ;p

From what I understand it’s magnetic closures in iPhone/iPad cases that deactivates the card rather than the devices themselves.

A friend of ours had her card demagnetized on our last Oosterdam sailing, and she was keeping hers in one of those cases.

Seriously?? Who cares if someone uses a lanyard or not. And to to say it “screams of being a newbie,” so what? If you really are that disgusted by the sight of a lanyard, don’t go on a cruise, or work, or to anyplace where you might encounter one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums