Luminea

rollie

Reading these menus makes me think I was on the wrong ship. On the Eclipse last month for twelve days, I probably ordered from the MDR menus three, maybe four nights. One night Luminae's menu included grilled steak and grilled chicken, hardly items that would stress even an average home cook. Strangely, towards the end of the cruise, the menu became much more interesting, so Luminae was for me a very uneven performance. Some folks like to eat only what they are familiar with. I'm not one of them. On land or at sea I look for items that I've never eaten before or common items prepared in ways I've never tried before. Grilled entrees don't make the cut for me.

But again I stress that the service in Luminae is usually excellent and that alone goes a long way to making dining there a peasant experience. We'll be on the Reflection and the Silhouette this year, so we'll see what they offer, but our first Regent cruise is mere days away. I am really hopeful it will offer a special dining experience.

Love your typo! I hope my first suite does not lead to a peasant experience!

Looking through the menu's on .myvirtualvacations, I was quite surprised at number of choices.

Last month we cruised on Cunard Queen Elizabeth in a Queens Suite. For dinner there is an A la Carte Appetisers menu with around 7 choices and the Entrée menu has 12 choices, 6 of which have to be ordered at lunch, These were available daily through the cruise.

There was then a different daily menu with 6 or 7 appetisers and a similar number of entree's, so quite a choice altogether. We were never stuck for choice! Another plus for us that the restaurant was open on port days!

We loved Luminae AND the menu. There were many different kinds of choices over the 14 day menu. We only had one day where we opted for the MDR menu.

The staff there is so accommodating, they will pretty much get you whatever you want as long as it's on the ship. One of the people next to us had a steak from Tuscan Grill almost every night.

We can't wait to go back again on the Eclipse in just over 90 days!!! :D :D

This sums it up for us, we are currently on Infinity and Luminae under Vlad has been superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
I'm sorry I don't have a copy. I surely do not want to make negative comments about something as personal as food tastes, but for me Luminae can be quite disappointing in its menu choices. Frequently, I wind up asking for the MDR menu. But the service is usually excellent, the tables are quite well spaced, and for us, the back room area is perfect. You will enjoy the experience, I'm sure.

I agree with your assessment. We typically only have breakfast in Luminae. The menu hasn't changed in years and the food not great at all. The good thing is that Luminae will also give you the MDR menu to select from. We typically have dinner in speciality restaurants.

However Luminae staff is excellent and unlike Blu, tables are spread out and comfortable. Certainly upshot from MDR and Blu.

Ok, fellow cruisers, one more question. We are early diners, will we have to fight for a table when doors open? What time does Luminae typically open? Thanks all.

Rollie

Luminae is open at 6PM and we've never had to fight for a table on 4 different sailings.

Ok, fellow cruisers, one more question. We are early diners, will we have to fight for a table when doors open? What time does Luminae typically open? Thanks all.

Rollie

On nights we plan on dining in Luminae we give the M’D an ‘ish’ time. 6.30ish for example then we are comfortable arriving any time between 6.15 and 6.45....we have never had to wait. Like you we always dine early. I think on all cruises Luminae has opened at 6pm.

On Eclipse I don’t think we ever saw any waiting. I believe when we were on Reflection there was a short wait between 7.30 and 8.30ish owing to the larger number of suite guests. Did not experience ourselves as we mainly dined early or in the speciality restaurants.

Try downloading the Celebrity App. While a bit quirky and only covers 3 ships so far they post the menus within the app. The menus are the same on all the ships but may be rotated on a different frequency.

This sums it up for us, we are currently on Infinity and Luminae under Vlad has been superb.

Wow, that is wonderful! We cancelled a booking on another cruise line because we love Lumanie! How was Michael's Club on Infinity?

Rollie

Rollie, if you are fairly regular with your dining time and the let the Luminae manager know that I would expect they will have a table waiting for you when you arrive. Additionally, if the servers are to your liking it will probably be the same table each evening. That has been our experience anyway....

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, that is wonderful! We cancelled a booking on another cruise line because we love Lumanie! How was Michael's Club on Infinity?

Super friendly and helpful staff . We didn’t spend too much time there but it is certainly a haven to enjoy a quiet catch up

On our last few cruises, we did my time dining. We were there at doors open every evening, and we’re able to get the same window seat. We will probably do the same in Luminae, if we are able. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Rollie

On our last few cruises, we did my time dining. We were there at doors open every evening, and we’re able to get the same window seat. We will probably do the same in Luminae, if we are able. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Rollie

Let the M’D know you will be arriving at ‘opening time’ each day, let him/her know your preference for the same table/waitstaff each evening and it will happen.

Have a great cruise!

I've always been a fairly picky eater, never have been super adventurous when it comes to dining out, so when we booked the suite on our last cruise, I was really into trying Luminae, mostly for the atmosphere. It's a smaller venue, chance to hang out and mingle with other suite guests, but didn't really plan on necessarily really enjoying the food, figured I'd find enough to at least not be hungry afterwards.

Loved every meal. And while there doesn't seem to be a lot on the menu, I really do like how they have one of everything available: pasta, poultry, veggie, seafood, etc. So I just looked at it as a chance to have a neat dining experience, and try some dishes I would never have at home, or try while I'm out at a restaurant. Was one of the best parts of our cruise.

As many have stated, the ambiance and comfort of Luminae is the biggest selling point for us. Its quiet and relaxing. The MDR is just too big for us. The wait staff cant be beat...jjust fantastic. On our last cruise on Eclipse, I was pretty disappointed in the food and menu in general. Nothing was bad, just ok. Some nights we would just ask for MDR menu as there was nothing on Luminae menu that was very interesting.

As many have stated, the ambiance and comfort of Luminae is the biggest selling point for us. Its quiet and relaxing. The MDR is just too big for us. The wait staff cant be beat...jjust fantastic. On our last cruise on Eclipse, I was pretty disappointed in the food and menu in general. Nothing was bad, just ok. Some nights we would just ask for MDR menu as there was nothing on Luminae menu that was very interesting.

Wow...couldn't agree less about the food in Luminae on Eclipse. We were on her for 15 nights in April and ate all but 2 meals there and while my DH ordered off the MDR menu once, I never did. We both loved it. The chef even prepared our favorite meal for us on a different day since we missed it on one of the 2 nights we didn't go to Luminae. Food was wonderful, and as you said so was the service.

Agree with you. Loved sailing on the ship. Michael’s club excellent, luminae, while the service and atmosphere excellent, food meh. We ate mostly in specialty restaurants. Also liked ordering off the MDR menus.

Actually, much to our surprise, our best meal was our last lunch on the ship, we decided to try Sushi on 5. While only 1 out of 4 eat sushi, there was something for everyone and it was excellent! Loved it as a matter of fact. My worst meal was in Tuscan Grille, had to be the worst lasagne I have ever had. So bland, I dont think there was any ricotta cheese in it...just 2 lasagne noodles with a lot of bland hamburger in the middle with little sauce. There is no way an Italian was involved in the preparation of that dish! Ha!

Actually, much to our surprise, our best meal was our last lunch on the ship, we decided to try Sushi on 5. While only 1 out of 4 eat sushi, there was something for everyone and it was excellent! Loved it as a matter of fact. My worst meal was in Tuscan Grille, had to be the worst lasagne I have ever had. So bland, I dont think there was any ricotta cheese in it...just 2 lasagne noodles with a lot of bland hamburger in the middle with little sauce. There is no way an Italian was involved in the preparation of that dish! Ha!

We enjoyed Sushi on 5 too...tried on Embarkation day for lunch....didn't eat the sushi but other items were wonderful...

But Luminae still the best for us on all counts.....