Seaside "Buttergate"

leos037

This is spreadable unsalted butter it’s actually my favourite and I buy it all the time. It has added olive or rapeseed oil to make it spreadable.

The non spreadable one is pure butter.

I think it is one of the best selling brands here in the U.K..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are correct Lurpak is a Danish butter. It is not margarine.

Check out the 3:03 mark of this vlog. Should settle the question.

Only responding to this because I have now become irrationally obsessed with this topic! ;p

Never saw either of those packets of butter on Day 1 through Day 7 of our cruise in either the buffets or the MDRs.

I guess people complained about no butter and they got some or maybe there was a surplus in the YC and let "shared" with the rest of the ship.

I can now breathe and sleep easier knowing that passengers after me are getting real butter!

Check out the 3:03 mark of this vlog. Should settle the question.

This is EXACTLY where a good deal of my skepticism about negative reviews comes from. There is clearly butter at the buffet, which directly contradicts what some have suggested. “There was no butter, anywhere, the horror!” I mean, really, folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is EXACTLY where a good deal of my skepticism about negative reviews comes from. There is clearly butter at the buffet, which directly contradicts what some have suggested. “There was no butter, anywhere, the horror!” I mean, really, folks.

So essentially what you are saying is that people like me who looked and looked and asked and asked about butter and was told there was none available, are downright liars??

Like I said in the above post, perhaps they got some aboard this particular cruise but there was none on mine.

So essentially what you are saying is that people like me who looked and looked and asked and asked about butter and was told there was none available, are downright liars??

Like I said in the above post, perhaps they got some aboard this particular cruise but there was none on mine.

And what you’re essentially saying is “who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?“ By NO means am I calling anyone a liar, but maybe mistaken. Put the shoe on the other foot: if I had cruised and told you there was no butter and then you discovered a video like this showing there was, wouldn’t you at least be surprised? I don’t remember when your sailing was but it’s entirely possible they fixed the problem after your cruise.

Edited by DCGuy64

And what you’re essentially saying is “who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?“ By NO means am I calling anyone a liar, but maybe mistaken. Put the shoe on the other foot: if I had cruised and told you there was no butter and then you discovered a video like this showing there was, wouldn’t you at least be surprised? I don’t remember when your sailing was but it’s entirely possible they fixed the problem after your cruise.

I wasn't surprised by the video, I was happy because I could see that they finally did get butter and now the passengers aboard that particular cruise could get some.

We sailed on the Jan 13-20th week.This totally illustrates even further to me why our group was frustrated all week. The service and product was/is all over the place.

If you are a person who truly does not care about this type of non service and non product type of cruise then you will be fine.

If you are like me who is in the service industry and goes on vacation to experience great service and a great product, then you will be let down. It has nothing to do with a "European style of cruise". The only thing European I noticed on this cruise was the food (which we loved), and the extra languages in the announcements.

Again, as I have mentioned before and in my review, our group still enjoyed. We make our own fun and try very hard not to let things like bad weather ruin our time. It is very disappointing though when you have booked for a year and saved your money all year to go and receive this type of cruise.

I truly truly hope that MSC will continue trying to fix the issues that are fixable for the next passengers. No one wants anyone to have a bad cruise.

I am done talking about the Seaside now.

I wasn't surprised by the video, I was happy because I could see that they finally did get butter and now the passengers aboard that particular cruise could get some.

We sailed on the Jan 13-20th week.This totally illustrates even further to me why our group was frustrated all week. The service and product was/is all over the place.

If you are a person who truly does not care about this type of non service and non product type of cruise then you will be fine.

If you are like me who is in the service industry and goes on vacation to experience great service and a great product, then you will be let down. It has nothing to do with a "European style of cruise". The only thing European I noticed on this cruise was the food (which we loved), and the extra languages in the announcements.

Again, as I have mentioned before and in my review, our group still enjoyed. We make our own fun and try very hard not to let things like bad weather ruin our time. It is very disappointing though when you have booked for a year and saved your money all year to go and receive this type of cruise.

I truly truly hope that MSC will continue trying to fix the issues that are fixable for the next passengers. No one wants anyone to have a bad cruise.

I am done talking about the Seaside now.

Well said. [emoji4] It’s nice that you acknowledge that the “buttergate” issues were resolved, though not in time for your cruise. I’m merely pointing out that people need to give MSC time to work on some of the fine tuning. It sounds like they have, or are starting to.

Hi folks OP here. Super surprised that what i thought was "tongue-in-cheek" minor quibble was seen as major complaint by some. I thought the title Buttergate to be ironic "mountain out of the molehill "quality and some people went looking for the butter tapes :) Let me try to set the record straight. We had butter on the 1st day and when we were in a Specialty restaurant. We did not in the mdr on the rest of the cruise. Obviously they had a supply issue that was corrected. I thought it was amusing specially the part where a person went ashore to buy his butter. btw I booked another cruise in November so that should say all about what i thought of Seaside

Hi folks OP here. Super surprised that what i thought was "tongue-in-cheek" minor quibble was seen as major complaint by some. I thought the title Buttergate to be ironic "mountain out of the molehill "quality and some people went looking for the butter tapes :) Let me try to set the record straight. We had butter on the 1st day and when we were in a Specialty restaurant. We did not in the mdr on the rest of the cruise. Obviously they had a supply issue that was corrected. I thought it was amusing specially the part where a person went ashore to buy his butter. btw I booked another cruise in November so that should say all about what i thought of Seaside

You should be proud ;). There have been over 7,000 views of this thread...that's pretty impressive for "tongue-in-cheek".

I am happy to report live from Seaside that butter has been restored in all areas [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank goodness - it was almost time to call "The A-Team" to solve the problem .... <fade to the classic 70's show theme> :halo::cool:;p

I asked MSC directly about Butter on their ships in Europe (I was emailing about something else) and this is their official reply to me:

- There is a continuing debate on Cruise Critic currently that MSC ships in Europe do not have butter supplied on board, neither hard butter nor spreadable butter (with Canola Oil) but that the only such spread available is a (unhealthy) hydrogenated vegetable oil margarine – is this correct? There is butter and margarine available (pre-packed for health reasons). If at dinner time there is none on the table you can request this with your waiter.

We've had butter in the MDR every night this week, although we had to request it on formal and Italian nights when they had individual dishes of oil (I guess they are copying Olive Garden). Did not see it in the buffet one day but it's been there ever since. We've mostly seen salted (gold wrapper) but saw unsalted (silver wrapped) once.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app