Seaside "Buttergate"

leos037

There is no butter on this ship. Only margarine. I asked and asked and was told no, there is none.

They have olive oil but you have to ask for it.

Water glasses were never refilled. We were in the Seashore MDR at the 6pm seating.

I don't think its too much to expect something so basic as butter on a cruise!!

Did you get Lurpac?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no butter on this ship. Only margarine. I asked and asked and was told no, there is none.

They have olive oil but you have to ask for it.

Water glasses were never refilled. We were in the Seashore MDR at the 6pm seating.

I don't think its too much to expect something so basic as butter on a cruise!!

One mans basic is another mans luxury. Have to say it’s not something I check for in the t&cs, if butter is a mandatory requirement. Obviously this is a deal breaker for some, who knew ?

Perhaps it is time for a basic primer on cruising on a cruise line that maintains its Italian culture and customs.

Of course there is butter on the ship. It will probably be unsalted, but if you insist that the flavor of a salt preservative be present in the butter, there is a salt shaker available. Butter is offered because unlike Italians who know a good bread is savored unsullied, many feel that the taste must be adulterated with the addition of some flavoring.

This isn't Olive Garden, olive oil will not be on the table for dunking bread in (who the h@#l ever thought of that idea in the USA?)

Bread will be served as soon as you rear end hits the seat. It most likely will not appear again. (Don't be confused by the degradation of Italian food in the USA where bread if gooped up as garlic bread and is used as a cheap alternative to offering more expensive sides ). If you know that you will want several pieces of bread or more than one roll, take it when first offered.

Bread will not be served with pasta or pizza. Don't embarrass yourself by asking for the garlic toast.

If you want more water in you glass, ask for it. Of course your wait staff will refill the glass.

Perhaps others that are also experienced with different food customs and enjoy knowing that when traveling one does as local custom dictates can chime in.

The way the word European is thrown about on this site you would think we are all the same. The same as all Americans are the same.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Exactly! Just as I don't want to be judged by the American Butter Ranter's comments, I won't judge whole countries by the comments of a few!

As American as GRITS! Oh wait, that's a Southern thing.

Bet Lurpak would be good on grits if ya salted it enough. :)

And added pepper.... this former New Yorker, now living in the south, really enjoys grits....oh and expecially cheese grits!!

Perhaps it is time for a basic primer on cruising on a cruise line that maintains its Italian culture and customs.

Of course there is butter on the ship. It will probably be unsalted, but if you insist that the flavor of a salt preservative be present in the butter, there is a salt shaker available. Butter is offered because unlike Italians who know a good bread is savored unsullied, many feel that the taste must be adulterated with the addition of some flavoring.

This isn't Olive Garden, olive oil will not be on the table for dunking bread in (who the h@#l ever thought of that idea in the USA?)

Bread will be served as soon as you rear end hits the seat. It most likely will not appear again. (Don't be confused by the degradation of Italian food in the USA where bread if gooped up as garlic bread and is used as a cheap alternative to offering more expensive sides ). If you know that you will want several pieces of bread or more than one roll, take it when first offered.

Bread will not be served with pasta or pizza. Don't embarrass yourself by asking for the garlic toast.

If you want more water in you glass, ask for it. Of course your wait staff will refill the glass.

Perhaps others that are also experienced with different food customs and enjoy knowing that when traveling one does as local custom dictates can chime in.

Bravo, bravo, bravo. Beautifully stated, I enjoy European customs and hope MSC stays faithful to its Italian heritage. Olive Garden at sea? No, thanks! Haha...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never saw pitcher of water on any cruise line. Same with bread ,they don't put it on table now, whats a problem to ask for more if you need? And sorry i will never believe that there is not butter on ship. :rolleyes:

there is no butter on this ship. I was on it for an entire week. Believe me, i looked and asked. They do not have it.

You know - this is condescending. I’m allowed to understand another culture’s way of doing things and still not enjoy it. And I’m not going to apologize for enjoying chain restaurants either.

Having class comes in many forms, not just being open to European dining traditions. I exercise mine by not looking down at others.

Enjoy your plain bread.

<><

d8bc90174ccf99b632d388c0b2ceda20.jpgim gonna take this to a whole new level and say you can get salted lurpak and its the only butter i use But i can definitely say i have never let it affect my holidays [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

The way the word European is thrown about on this site you would think we are all the same. The same as all Americans are the same.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Indeed! Lets stop with the sweeping generalisations about Europeans.

I can assure any doubters, we've gotten the hang of the whole "food" thing on this side of the Atlantic.

Margarine on bread, Jesus wept.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kizzabel

Indeed! Lets stop with the sweeping generalisations about Europeans.

I can assure any doubters, we've gotten the hang of the whole "food" thing on this side of the Atlantic.

Margarine on bread, Jesus wept.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

Indeed! I've lived in the States more of my life than back in Limerick, but not so long as to take to margarine over natural butter. Last week, I ran an extra loaf of brown bread, Seville orange marmalade and Kerry Gold butter over to a neighbor. Yesterday, he thanked me for the bread and marmalade, but asked what he was supposed to do with the block of butter! I wept. I remember the lyrics from a Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem album: "Ahem, ahem. Me mother has gone to church. She told me not to play with you because you're in the dirt; but it isn't because you're dirty, it isn't because you're clean. It's because you have the whooping cough and you eat margarine!"

I think when I'm on the Seaside in a couple months I'm going to grab a seat by customer service with a few beers. Listening in on all the irate people at customer service might be the best entertainment on the ship.

I was on the same cruise as the OP and let me tell you, that customer service line was at least doubled back on itself the ENTIRE time. There's a bar right next to it too so you'd have a grand time and easy access to your drinks. ;-)

Unsalted butter does taste very different if you are used to salted. When we started cruising, the cruise lines only offered unsalted butter, which made sense to us, because if you don't want salt in your butter, it is difficult to remove it, but if you like it (as we do) it is easy to salt the pat on the side of your plate. Interestingly, over the past 10 years, we have seen all of our usual cruise lines switch to salted butter and we surmised that it might be cheaper/easier for the cruise lines to acquire.

We also like dipping our bread in olive oil. This is something that is done in Europe, in the Med areas (southern France, Italy, Spain, Greece, even Portugal and Turkey). Now it's entirely possible that the proportions of bread to oil are different in those places, but a 'European' cruise line shouldn't be surprised if people want olive oil with their bread.

Regardless, I am looking forward to trying European butter (perhaps with a little salt added by me) on our upcoming MSC cruise.

Indeed! I've lived in the States more of my life than back in Limerick, but not so long as to take to margarine over natural butter. Last week, I ran an extra loaf of brown bread, Seville orange marmalade and Kerry Gold butter over to a neighbor.

Sssssh .............. don't mention Kerrygold. It's becoming so popular abroad, it'll get harder and more expensive to get hold of here - especially if they export so much that they leave the domestic market short. The French have cottoned onto it and there's a butter shortage due to the bad weather this year in Europe so demand to make their croissants is high. They're slowly discovering that it's the best butter in the world.

Didn't they have protests in one of the states (somewhere like Wisconsin) when they tried to add a new tax to imported goods and Kerrygold prices were going to be impacted as a result? They put in their coffee, there.

This is a ridiculous and condescending response. I am Italian. I know Italian customs. I always use unsalted butter at home. And I also serve olive oil and balsamic vinegar with bread.

They did serve olive oil and balsamic with the bread but you had to ask for it. There were even small dishes that it was served in.

There is no butter on this ship, unsalted or salted, only margarine. Now perhaps it is available in the specialty DRs or higher class but not the MDR or buffets. The brand we got was called NONNO and it is margarine. I have never known Italians to eat margarine so it is crazy that an Italian cruiseship should not have it.

As for the water, good luck trying to get someone to the table to refill it. We had to beg for milk and cream for our coffee everynight and by the time we got it our coffee was cold.

Where is the Nonno brand from?

I only can come up with Nonno Nanni which is an Italian company that seems to specialize in cheeses. Otherwise I can't seem to reference that brand name at all when searching google. Very funny thread though, not sure that I care either way as I rarely add butter or margarine to bread, I will occasionally but usually I prefer it when the bread is still hot so that it will melt it.

I have to say our upcoming cruise in May is going to be most interesting.