FYI ... Canceling Seaside Cruise

BestNC Cruiser

Wow. It’s interesting how much weight is placed on CC reviews.

LOL Our first cruise was on Costa and reviews on this forum were very bad , but it happen to be our best cruise ever . Next one we had was on NCL, and reviews on this forum been so good but for me NCL is most terrible cruise line ever and not even free cruise will make me to cruise with them again. :rolleyes:

I don't think I'll cancel....but the bad reviews have given me pause for thought. The bad reviews have certainly tempered my excitement...and i don't blame people writing those bad reviews...and i don't just chalk it up to maiden voyage kinks. There are too many consistent reviews with the same problems...understaffing, smells, elevator breakdowns, long waits, cold food, etc. That's especially troublesome when everyone raves about the beauty of the ship. Hopefully the kinks get worked out in the next couple of weeks.....let's get on the ball management!!

This is why we elected to cancel our upcoming Seaside cruise. I have never read so many similar reviews and as

Our vacation dollars are sadly limited [emoji3]I was not willing to take the chance.

**Our TA told us she was on hold over an hour with MSC when she canceled.**

Hopefully they learn from this going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let me get this straight. The reviews that show the seaside in a positive light are "brillant and balanced" and "reputable", but any reviews that show the seaside in a negative light is considered "fake news". Do I have that correct?

No, that isn't entirely accurate. What I have seen is that many (not all) passengers who didn't enjoy their cruise are telling everyone else that the ship is terrible, worst cruise ever, everyone was complaining etc., in short, warning people not to go. On the other hand, the positive reviewers have been careful to say that their particular experiences were great, they didn't have the issues some others had, etc. In other words, they're being very specific about their positive feedback. At least that's how I read it.

Carnival, Royal and Norwegian are just shaking in their boots over the new competitor from across the pond. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Their architects are so good that the buffet needs to be turned into a makeshift MDR because 5 nightly seating's are not enough for the possible number of passengers on board.

Apparently you do not know what you are talking about. The buffet restaurant at 8 is only used as an overflow restaurant. Normally it is closed in the evening. Why not use it as an MDR? Deck 16 is open for the few people that eat in the buffet.
There was nothing in my statement above that was incorrect. The larger buffet on deck 8 is changed into a makeshift dining room in the evening because the architects that designed the Seaside did not make it large enough. I will grant them that it was a good idea to have two buffets in order to disperse the masses during breakfast and dinner, but by doing so, they did it to the detriment of two different groups. One, those Bella experience people that were expecting a true MDR with the proper atmosphere and two, the percentage of passengers that like to eat in the buffet each evening for dinner.

You're an experienced cruiser and you have 8 cruises on Royal under your belt, you can't sit there and tell me that people do not eat dinner in the buffet on Royal. Even if it's only 15-20% of the passengers on board, it's a disservice to them. And to relegate them to the kid friendly smaller buffet on deck 16 with a much smaller selection is also a slap in the face.

There was nothing in my statement above that was incorrect. The larger buffet on deck 8 is changed into a makeshift dining room in the evening because the architects that designed the Seaside did not make it large enough. I will grant them that it was a good idea to have two buffets in order to disperse the masses during breakfast and dinner, but by doing so, they did it to the detriment of two different groups. One, those Bella experience people that were expecting a true MDR with the proper atmosphere and two, the percentage of passengers that like to eat in the buffet each evening for dinner.

You're an experienced cruiser and you have 8 cruises on Royal under your belt, you can't sit there and tell me that people do not eat dinner in the buffet on Royal. Even if it's only 15-20% of the passengers on board, it's a disservice to them. And to relegate them to the kid friendly smaller buffet on deck 16 with a much smaller selection is also a slap in the face.

I was going to jump in on her "buffet description and how little people use it at dinner"....HUH?? lol But your response nailed it!!

I'm not sure I agree with you on this. I've never sailed MSC before, but I've been reading many MSC threads that indicate this policy is not unique to Seaside. Apparently MSC has done this on other ships with a buffet being an adjunct MDR in the evening. Given this is consistent policy I don't see how it can be blamed on architects. This just seems to be something that MSC has chosen to do with their ships. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this design decision, but it is something that differentiates MSC from other cruise lines...at least those that cater to the US market.

MSC is not a newcomer to the cruise market place. They've been doing this a long time, and from what I've heard very successfully. Everyone on CC has constantly stated that MSC wants to establish itself in the US market. I'm not sure where this supposed 'fact' comes from since they've been cruising in the Caribbean for years. Seaside is replacing the Davina for now. They've also sailed seasonal cruises from other Caribbean islands as well for years.

Maybe they do want to expand their presence, but I have yet to see actual statements from MSC themselves as to what this entails. So far the only statements I've seen is from CC members, and they're all basically assumptions. Actually I have seen one statement, but it basically pertains to the Seaside specifically, that it was designed for the Caribbean. It almost seems that this is where all the assumptions derive from. Makes you wonder what they built the Seaview for.

I've alway been amazed how much crap get's thrown around the internet as fact. It's very easy to see why things get labeled as Fake News so often. It's not that it's truly fake, but that people just fail to do their own research and separate fact from fiction and opinion.

Maybe they do want to expand their presence, but I have yet to see actual statements from MSC themselves as to what this entails. So far the only statements I've seen is from CC members, and they're all basically assumptions.

I've alway been amazed how much crap get's thrown around the internet as fact. It's very easy to see why things get labeled as Fake News so often. It's not that it's truly fake, but that people just fail to do their own research and separate fact from fiction and opinion.

Here's my research that will hopefully separate fact from fiction and opinion with a link to an article for you.http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/MSC-Continues-Focus-On-North-America-With-Meraviglia-Deployment

And here is another story.https://skift.com/2017/12/22/msc-cruises-takes-next-step-in-major-global-expansion

No, that isn't entirely accurate. What I have seen is that many (not all) passengers who didn't enjoy their cruise are telling everyone else that the ship is terrible, worst cruise ever, everyone was complaining etc., in short, warning people not to go. On the other hand, the positive reviewers have been careful to say that their particular experiences were great, they didn't have the issues some others had, etc. In other words, they're being very specific about their positive feedback. At least that's how I read it.

I'm looking at it a little differently. Most of the negative reviews that I'm reading, people are listing exactly why they had issues and what they found unacceptable. Then there are the positive reviews where some are listing the similar issues (ie. sewer smell) but are not bothered as much by them, which is OK also. But the worst is all of the people who haven't been on the ship yet, but are telling people they are crazy for canceling or agreeing with the list of unacceptable issues. I think issues should be listed here, good or bad, and leave it up to people to decide if they can live with them. I will probably keep my June booking, but I still have some time to make up my mind. This issue is not whether I will have a good time but there are so many other choices out there, is the savings worth the headaches.

I'm looking at it a little differently. Most of the negative reviews that I'm reading, people are listing exactly why they had issues and what they found unacceptable. Then there are the positive reviews where some are listing the similar issues (ie. sewer smell) but are not bothered as much by them, which is OK also. But the worst is all of the people who haven't been on the ship yet, but are telling people they are crazy for canceling or agreeing with the list of unacceptable issues. I think issues should be listed here, good or bad, and leave it up to people to decide if they can live with them. I will probably keep my June booking, but I still have some time to make up my mind. This issue is not whether I will have a good time but there are so many other choices out there, is the savings worth the headaches.

(y)

Thanks for your reply, you bring up some good points. And you're right, I personally want to read the good, the bad and the in between, same as you. I just think it's a shame when I read that some passengers are canceling/have canceled in part due to negative reviews. They weren't even on the ship, and couldn't possibly know (from the limited information a review gives) what expectations the author had, the extent or severity of the problems encountered, or any mitigating factors. Just seems an awful waste to cancel an entire vacation based on the subjective opinion of another passenger whom I haven't even met. To each his own, I guess.:confused:

Here's my research that will hopefully separate fact from fiction and opinion with a link to an article for you.http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/MSC-Continues-Focus-On-North-America-With-Meraviglia-Deployment

And here is another story.https://skift.com/2017/12/22/msc-cruises-takes-next-step-in-major-global-expansion

Thank you for these links. I had not seen these before.

I found this quote interesting from the CEO in the second article.

Onorato acknowledged the challenge for a lesser-known brand.

“Obviously this is a competitive market,” he said. “It will be very important that we are able to clearly list the differences of our product and why North American customers should also try an MSC Cruise instead of another cruise.”

A company with MSC's size and history of success doesn't make a move like this without doing their research. They obviously have made a conscientious decision on how to compete in this market. They've gambled, and now they wait to see if it will payoff.

I'm scheduled to sail on the Seaside in an inside Fantastica next month, and I have an Aurea Whirlpool booked in advance for next December. I can't say that I'm happy with everything I've been reading on CC of far, but I've chosen to give the Seaside a try. If I don't like it I'll cancel my future cruise and then decide whether MSC is for me.

I'm also going into this next cruise with an open mind. I will not let others tell me what I should and shouldn't expect in a cruise. There's way too much of what I should and shouldn't think in America right now...period. If anything I'm looking forward to a less than American experience for those 7 days in February.

Let me get this straight. The reviews that show the seaside in a positive light are "brillant and balanced" and "reputable", but any reviews that show the seaside in a negative light is considered "fake news". Do I have that correct?

I lurk and read on this site more than I post although I have posted more since returning from Seaside. I have noticed that when giving facts about the ship that are slanted negative, posters get insulted and told they are naysayers, whiners and complainers. But post something positive and a parade is thrown in your honour!! The title is this website is Cruise Critic. We are supposed to give both sides of the story. There are positives about the Seaside that are wonderful but there are far more negatives. I certainly expect people to read and then make their own conclusions and decisions. No one is trying to tell people to cancel.

I am sure the people who are posting negatives can get as specific as you would like. A lot of the issues are poor design and planning. These are not "new ship kinks".

How about only having 3 stalls for the ladies bathroom outside the MDR? Really??? There was a huge line up everynight. MOst of the time one of the stalls was out of order because it was clogged. Hows that for a lovely aroma after dinner?

How about a buffet space being used as a MDR because the other two MDRs are not big enough for 5000 passengers? Can you imagine eating your dinner on a cruise ship in a buffet space with bar height tables?

How about being on Deck 5 and needing to go to Deck 16 and never getting an elevator because 90% of the time 2-3 of them are out of order and you are also trying to let elderly and people with scooters go on first. I gave up most of the time and used the stairs. I think having to wait 15-25 minutes for an elevators is crazy.

How about not being able to use large portions of the ship because they are reserved for YC members?

I could go on and on about specifics but I suspect I will get criticized for being critical....

(y)

Thanks for your reply, you bring up some good points. And you're right, I personally want to read the good, the bad and the in between, same as you. I just think it's a shame when I read that some passengers are canceling/have canceled in part due to negative reviews. They weren't even on the ship, and couldn't possibly know (from the limited information a review gives) what expectations the author had, the extent or severity of the problems encountered, or any mitigating factors. Just seems an awful waste to cancel an entire vacation based on the subjective opinion of another passenger whom I haven't even met. To each his own, I guess.:confused:

Maybe someone is canceling their entire vacation, but that is not my case. I'm still going on vacation. I'm still going on a cruise. What I have decided, based on my evaluation of the overall reviews, is that there is room for improvement. Waiting to cruise MSC seaside at a later date (ie. 2019 or so) will not only allow me to possibly go to their new private island, but increase the odds that I will be able to enjoy my vacation on their ship without running into the same less that positive experiences as others have. My subjective opinion is that the seaside is not yet where MSC intents for it to be. I am going to give it time and look at it next year.

I am sure the people who are posting negatives can get as specific as you would like. A lot of the issues are poor design and planning. These are not "new ship kinks".

How about only having 3 stalls for the ladies bathroom outside the MDR? Really??? There was a huge line up everynight. MOst of the time one of the stalls was out of order because it was clogged. Hows that for a lovely aroma after dinner?

How about a buffet space being used as a MDR because the other two MDRs are not big enough for 5000 passengers? Can you imagine eating your dinner on a cruise ship in a buffet space with bar height tables?

How about being on Deck 5 and needing to go to Deck 16 and never getting an elevator because 90% of the time 2-3 of them are out of order and you are also trying to let elderly and people with scooters go on first. I gave up most of the time and used the stairs. I think having to wait 15-25 minutes for an elevators is crazy.

How about not being able to use large portions of the ship because they are reserved for YC members?

I could go on and on about specifics but I suspect I will get criticized for being critical....

I am sorry to disagree with you, but most of what you point out ARE new ship problems. Overcrowding? Yep, and the first month of sailings were during the holidays when the ships are most full, probably at or near capacity. Elevators not working? Again, new ship issues. (are you sure it was really 90% of them? Hard to believe that figure) The issue with turning part of the buffet into a main dining room is not unique to this ship. And as for ladies having to wait for the bathroom, I'd best not go there. Let's just say that's a common issue at terrestrial restaurants and we'll leave it at that. ;)

I lurk and read on this site more than I post although I have posted more since returning from Seaside. I have noticed that when giving facts about the ship that are slanted negative, posters get insulted and told they are naysayers, whiners and complainers. But post something positive and a parade is thrown in your honour!! The title is this website is Cruise Critic. We are supposed to give both sides of the story. There are positives about the Seaside that are wonderful but there are far more negatives. I certainly expect people to read and then make their own conclusions and decisions. No one is trying to tell people to cancel.

You're correct in that no one is trying to tell people to cancel, but the first two sentences of the original poster's post say the following: "So, I ended up coming to the conclusion that canceling my spring break cruise on the seaside was for the best. You can only read so many bad reviews before reality just sinks in."

Now maybe it's just me, but that sounds an awful lot like the poster decided to cancel based on negative reviews. So you see they can be persuasive.

You're correct in that no one is trying to tell people to cancel, but the first two sentences of the original poster's post say the following: "So, I ended up coming to the conclusion that canceling my spring break cruise on the seaside was for the best. You can only read so many bad reviews before reality just sinks in."

Now maybe it's just me, but that sounds an awful lot like the poster decided to cancel based on negative reviews. So you see they can be persuasive.

It is not so much the negative reviews themselves. Ever single cruise ship has negative reviews. It is the volume and percentage of negative reviews in relation to the positive. Im not just talking about CC, but I read other travel review sites as well. Too many to ignore as just "complainers". There is something to it. My plan is to wait til next year to sail on the seaside on the YC. It seems like a reasonable plan to me.

So yes, I was persuaded by the volume/content of negative reviews (and not just CC). Just like I have been persuaded in the past from positive reviews. That is why I read reviews, to help me make up my mind when I have choices to make.

Apparently you do not know what you are talking about. The buffet restaurant at 8 is only used as an overflow restaurant. Normally it is closed in the evening. Why not use it as an MDR? Deck 16 is open for the few people that eat in the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Total cop out. Deck 8 is closed because it is used as an MDR not just overflow. Deck 16 buffet small w poor selection. Why should those that want a casual dining buffet get less choice than Carnival, Royal, NCL? If it is only a few people as you claim (without any data or statistics) why not use the smaller buffet for the overflow?

Total cop out. Deck 8 is closed because it is used as an MDR not just overflow. Deck 16 buffet small w poor selection. Why should those that want a casual dining buffet get less choice than Carnival, Royal, NCL? If it is only a few people as you claim (without any data or statistics) why not use the smaller buffet for the overflow?

This is really the crux of the entire negative/positive review issue. My take on most (not all) negative reviews is that the experience is negative as compared to RCI, NCL and Carnival. (I've sailed them all multiple times.) Most seem to want the same cruise experience on MSC. MSC has chosen to be different. It appears they want to promote an MDR experience. I'm not sure they can accomplish that in a buffet setting, but that's their decision. That's not to everyone's liking. Like you, a lot of cruisers want a full buffet for dinner. That's why you have a choice to spend your hard earned money with a choice of 'mainstream' cruise lines. You don't like what MSC is offering then don't sail with them.

What I don't understand is so many complaints especially from people that haven't even tried the ship or cruise line. By now everyone in CC already knows the issues concerning Seaside dining options. For those that fail to do their research ahead of time and end up with a miserable cruise, well caveat emptor!

It is not so much the negative reviews themselves. Ever single cruise ship has negative reviews. It is the volume and percentage of negative reviews in relation to the positive. Im not just talking about CC, but I read other travel review sites as well. Too many to ignore as just "complainers". There is something to it. My plan is to wait til next year to sail on the seaside on the YC. It seems like a reasonable plan to me.

So yes, I was persuaded by the volume/content of negative reviews (and not just CC). Just like I have been persuaded in the past from positive reviews. That is why I read reviews, to help me make up my mind when I have choices to make.

I like your thinking. Also, people need to consider the amount of people that will never review any ship. A lot of people don't even know about Cruise Critic. I talked to quite a few people on the ship and not a single person was enjoying it like they thought they would.

.....The issue with turning part of the buffet into a main dining room is not unique to this ship.... ;)

Without speculating whether or not the issues are due to “new ship”’kinks, let me help with some facts as I believe you are misinformed about the issues with the buffet/mdr.

It is true that MSc has turned PART of the buffet into a mdr as overflow on other ships. However; that isn’t the issue people concerned with on the seaside. The issue on the seaside is that they have closed the main buffet entirely.

Not part of the buffet but the whole thing. What they offer on 16 isn’t an entire dinner buffet- it’s more of a snack bar. For example, there does not appear to be a decent salad bar on 16, rather a bowl of lettuce and onions (shown on video). I am reasonably certain this is unique to the seaside, not to mention very misleading in terms of MSc advertising.

On divina, the back portion of the buffet is used as mdr overflow on weeks that are particularly full. It’s not common practice and happens occasionally. And when the back section is turned into a mdr, the rest of the buffet carries on as normal. Based on current dailies posted, the entire main buffet is closed on the seaside every day. Apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you confirm that this arrangement only affects passengers with the Bella experience who choose not to eat in the MDR? My wife and I are booked in a Fantastica balcony at the late dinner seating so I doubt this will be an issue for us. Thank you.

Without speculating whether or not the issues are due to “new ship”’kinks, let me help with some facts as I believe you are misinformed about the issues with the buffet/mdr.

It is true that MSc has turned PART of the buffet into a mdr as overflow on other ships. However; that isn’t the issue people concerned with on the seaside. The issue on the seaside is that they have closed the main buffet entirely.

Not part of the buffet but the whole thing. What they offer on 16 isn’t an entire dinner buffet- it’s more of a snack bar. For example, there does not appear to be a decent salad bar on 16, rather a bowl of lettuce and onions (shown on video). I am reasonably certain this is unique to the seaside, not to mention very misleading in terms of MSc advertising.

On divina, the back portion of the buffet is used as mdr overflow on weeks that are particularly full. It’s not common practice and happens occasionally. And when the back section is turned into a mdr, the rest of the buffet carries on as normal. Based on current dailies posted, the entire main buffet is closed on the seaside every day. Apples to oranges.

Thank you for posting this. You said it and explained far better than I could have. Everything you said is exactly right and true. We experienced it ourselves when we tried to go to the buffet for dinner one night and were turned away as the whole thing was closed. We were directed up to Deck 16. No one starved but it was disappointing.

MSC does not fully explain this anywhere by the way. It is very misleading.

I talked to quite a few people on the ship and not a single person was enjoying it like they thought they would.

Yep. That falls on line with my observations. It seems that many people who end up disappointed do so as a result of unrealistic expectations.

Can you confirm that this arrangement only affects passengers with the Bella experience who choose not to eat in the MDR? My wife and I are booked in a Fantastica balcony at the late dinner seating so I doubt this will be an issue for us. Thank you.

How do you know what seating you are at already?