FYI ... Canceling Seaside Cruise

BestNC Cruiser

Yep. That falls on line with my observations. It seems that many people who end up disappointed do so as a result of unrealistic expectations.

Haha, this one made me laugh. I agree. I read terrible reviews about a ship we sailed on last year with RCI and we loved it. Expectations play a big role in whether people end up happy or miserable. Some things can be the ship’s fault, of course, others not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you confirm that this arrangement only affects passengers with the Bella experience who choose not to eat in the MDR? My wife and I are booked in a Fantastica balcony at the late dinner seating so I doubt this will be an issue for us. Thank you.

I can not confirm or deny. The only thing consistent with MSc is inconsistency. :).

I can say the following from personal experience- fantastica experience does NOT guarantee you your seating preference. I was assigned late seating fantastica and tried to switch to early and was told no.

With that said, I doubt you will be forced to eat in marketplace. There have been no reports of anything but Bella being seated there. This would be especially true if your sailing isn’t in peak season. From what it sounds like, marketplace may end up being a nicer mdr anyway:).

I can not confirm or deny. The only thing consistent with MSc is inconsistency. :).

I can say the following from personal experience- fantastica experience does NOT guarantee you your seating preference. I was assigned late seating fantastica and tried to switch to early and was told no.

With that said, I doubt you will be forced to eat in marketplace. There have been no reports of anything but Bella being seated there. This would be especially true if your sailing isn’t in peak season. From what it sounds like, marketplace may end up being a nicer mdr anyway:).

Thank you very much. I know there are some people who prefer buffets, but I’ve never eaten dinner in anything but the main dining room on any of my cruises, and that’s the way I prefer to eat dinner. We’re traveling in late October so I don’t imagine that’s peak season, but I could be wrong. I hope we’ll get the dinner seating we requested, but my wife and I are pretty good about rolling with the punches and wouldn’t mind if we were switched from late to early or vice versa. Thanks again for your response.

I also cancelled 3/31 cruise. Boy are they tough when you want to cancel. They tried to keep my $396 deposit for 4 people, but I stood my ground and sent them a copy of my invoice where no where did it state the cancellation deadlines. This was 3 phone calls and 2 to supervisors later. My invoice just stated final payment due on 1/30/18. I did have to wait about 6 days or so for the credit to hit my credit card. I was sweating because they sent me no cancellation invoice and actually my reservation still showed on their website after I cancelled the cruise.

Why is it MSC's fault you did not bother to read its cancellation policy? It has always been posted on its website since Day 1. It says 90 days, not final payment date which is your own assumption. You messed up. Admit it and accept the consequence like a grown up person.

Thank you very much. I know there are some people who prefer buffets, but I’ve never eaten dinner in anything but the main dining room on any of my cruises, and that’s the way I prefer to eat dinner. We’re traveling in late October so I don’t imagine that’s peak season, but I could be wrong. I hope we’ll get the dinner seating we requested, but my wife and I are pretty good about rolling with the punches and wouldn’t mind if we were switched from late to early or vice versa. Thanks again for your response.

It doesn't matter whether people do or don't prefer the buffet.

If you want dinnertime buffet on Seaside, you have to eat in the Biscayne Buffet.

The Marketplace only serves breakfast and lunch buffet style. There is NO buffet available in Marketplace at dinnertime. During the evening meal, some guests might be assigned to Marketplace as their MDR. While they are there, the buffet stations are CLOSED. All food is served off of the exact same menus as the other two MDRs use.

This is really the crux of the entire negative/positive review issue. My take on most (not all) negative reviews is that the experience is negative as compared to RCI, NCL and Carnival. (I've sailed them all multiple times.) Most seem to want the same cruise experience on MSC. MSC has chosen to be different. It appears they want to promote an MDR experience. I'm not sure they can accomplish that in a buffet setting, but that's their decision. That's not to everyone's liking. Like you, a lot of cruisers want a full buffet for dinner. That's why you have a choice to spend your hard earned money with a choice of 'mainstream' cruise lines. You don't like what MSC is offering then don't sail with them.

What I don't understand is so many complaints especially from people that haven't even tried the ship or cruise line. By now everyone in CC already knows the issues concerning Seaside dining options. For those that fail to do their research ahead of time and end up with a miserable cruise, well caveat emptor!

It will be my 3rd cruise w MSC. There are differences that are positives. This is just different to be different. It’s not about wanting the same as other lines, it’s about wanting a competitive offering.

Failure to deliver a competitive product is on MSC, not on guests.

If they seat me in the buffet no service charge; I already checked w MSC and it’s not compulsory and I won’t pay it to be treated 3rd class

It doesn't matter whether people do or don't prefer the buffet.

If you want dinnertime buffet on Seaside, you have to eat in the Biscayne Buffet.

The Marketplace only serves breakfast and lunch buffet style. There is NO buffet available in Marketplace at dinnertime. During the evening meal, some guests might be assigned to Marketplace as their MDR. While they are there, the buffet stations are CLOSED. All food is served off of the exact same menus as the other two MDRs use.

Based on your response, I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. You seem to be saying that I can’t get the buffet if I might want it. But you have it backwards, I don’t want the buffet for dinner, I prefer to sit at a table and be served dinner just like I always do, and as I understand it, that is what I will receive. I do understand that part of the buffet area would be converted to a main dining room type of seating, however what I’m saying is that I want to be seated in a main dining room.

It’s on the confirmation I got from MSC.

Huh. We chose the early seating a year out from the booking and ended up being assigned late seating.

My travel person told me that you can request but the final decision is with the cruiseline and you don't find out until you check in at the port.

The problem with MSC Seaside is the inconsistency of information. One time we were told there was My Choice dining time, one time we were told there was no such thing, another time we were told that with Fantastica experience, we could change our dining times every night if we wanted. No of these are true. You can request and ask whatever you want, but at the end of the day who knows what you will get until you step on the cruise.

And speaking of service and consistency both my wife and I filled out a form they give you to opt into receiving a survey to help them improve and since our 12/30/17 sailing have not received anything...seems like they don’t give a crap.

Reminds me of having to hound them for over a year to get my Voyagers Club number after my first sailing I should have given up then and not given them a second chance. And now based on my pre seaside sailing recommendation I have family going on Seaside (too late to cancel) that will have to deal with possible no meaningful dinner buffet or maybe being assigned to buffet for dinner :o

Why is it MSC's fault you did not bother to read its cancellation policy? It has always been posted on its website since Day 1. It says 90 days, not final payment date which is your own assumption. You messed up. Admit it and accept the consequence like a grown up person.

Grown up cruise lines post the cancellation deadlines on their invoices.

And speaking of service and consistency both my wife and I filled out a form they give you to opt into receiving a survey to help them improve and since our 12/30/17 sailing have not received anything...seems like they don’t give a crap.

Reminds me of having to hound them for over a year to get my Voyagers Club number after my first sailing I should have given up then and not given them a second chance. And now based on my pre seaside sailing recommendation I have family going on Seaside (too late to cancel) that will have to deal with possible no meaningful dinner buffet or maybe being assigned to buffet for dinner :o

Oh what problems, you keep on repeating the same thing. First you said that the dinner buffet had hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and bread, others have said there is more then that. You choose to write what you felt like writing and a lot is not true. I agree that the dinner buffet has less choices then before, we have been on the Divina 7x and have seen the difference but it is more then what you stated. Better luck on your next cruise !!!

Our family was on 1/13/18 sailing in Fantastica balcony and overall had a great time. Everyone loved the waterslides. Pizza was great, as well as pay for restaurants. MDR service was bad. and smell appeared form time to time.

And yes i am the guy who posted about "buttergate" to my surprise what i thought of as tongue in cheek minor quip, people saw as chief complaint.

But we booked Aurea Suite With Whirlpool Bath for November. The perks of Aurea will negate the negatives like fixed dinning time. and at 3k i have funds to book specialty restaurants for every night if i wanted.

Is Bella the only people who get put in the converted buffet? If so, I think it answers the question of whether it's the same dining experience as the MDR. I tend to believe it's not. If it was, there would be Aurea guests in there also. I don't know if this is the case so I don't wanted to ask to verify. This is new to me. I know someone earlier claimed this is a common practice to convert a Buffet area into a dining room, but I have never heard of this on any ship. Is this just common to MSC? It seems like a bad design.

I am sorry to disagree with you, but most of what you point out ARE new ship problems. Overcrowding? Yep, and the first month of sailings were during the holidays when the ships are most full, probably at or near capacity. Elevators not working? Again, new ship issues. (are you sure it was really 90% of them? Hard to believe that figure) The issue with turning part of the buffet into a main dining room is not unique to this ship. And as for ladies having to wait for the bathroom, I'd best not go there. Let's just say that's a common issue at terrestrial restaurants and we'll leave it at that. ;)

I have to disagree a little. From reading just erica's post I only see 1 issue that can be attributed to a new ship, which is the elevators and I'm sure that problem will be rectified. As for overcrowding, I'm a person with school age children and we always sail at peak times and holidays when the ships are at capacity. I have been on RCI ships just a large and larger than the seaside and have never felt crowded. I have also been on the Vista and have felt very crowded. That is a company cramming too many people on a ship for it's design. A money grab. I don't know how common the buffet/dinning room is but I have never experienced it on 3 different cruise lines. I don't really have a comment on the bathroom situation but that is not a new ship problem.

LMAO.....IT is not common practice....As a matter of fact I've never heard this ever happening ....and I've been cruising since 1979

That's what I thought. I thought I might be missing something because I have never heard of this either.

Is Bella the only people who get put in the converted buffet? If so, I think it answers the question of whether it's the same dining experience as the MDR. I tend to believe it's not. If it was, there would be Aurea guests in there also. I don't know if this is the case so I don't wanted to ask to verify. This is new to me. I know someone earlier claimed this is a common practice to convert a Buffet area into a dining room, but I have never heard of this on any ship. Is this just common to MSC? It seems like a bad design.

Has anyone who actually experienced dining in the converted buffet area commented on there experience? We sailed, Aurea clas - in part because it allows the anytime dining vs set seating. We did pass through the buffet area one night - low lighting, table cloths, it was lovely. Ironically, I would have easily eaten there, no where near as noisy. Same menu, yes, even for Aurea class. I think people are getting hung up on "buffet", it actually resembles a restaurant at night. I certainly wouldn't feel like a second or third class citizen in that venue.

Has anyone who actually experienced dining in the converted buffet area commented on there experience? We sailed, Aurea clas - in part because it allows the anytime dining vs set seating. We did pass through the buffet area one night - low lighting, table cloths, it was lovely. Ironically, I would have easily eaten there, no where near as noisy. Same menu, yes, even for Aurea class. I think people are getting hung up on "buffet", it actually resembles a restaurant at night. I certainly wouldn't feel like a second or third class citizen in that venue.

I haven't seen it yet as I don't sail until June. I'm pretty sure they dress it up nice and I knew it was the same menu. The point I was trying to make it is not common among cruise ships. They built a ship with not enough room in the MDRs to accommodate the number of guests, which goes to the overcrowding issues. Also, if it was truly equal, it wouldn't be exclusive to the lowest "experience" and you would see Aurea guest assigned to it. IMO, first come first serve would be the easiest. Not saying this is a deal breaker or anything close to it. I'm trying to compare to other lines.

The issue with turning part of the buffet into a main dining room is not unique to this ship.
Whether it's a MSC thing or a European based cruise line thing, I don't know, since my first European based cruise line sailing is tomorrow. But I can tell you from my experience on 6 different US based lines, I have never seen it. And IMHO, it's not a good thing if you're trying to infiltrate the US market.

Here’s my two cents.

We sailed on Divina in the Yacht Club. Best cruise ever.

Today, after reading all the reviews, I booked a balcony Bella cabin.

The plan is to stay in a midship cabin to hopefully avoid the smell.

We’ll try the food in the buffet for lunch and breakfast, and in the main dining room for dinner.

If we don’t care for the food or service, the remainder six nights we’ll eat in the specialty restaurants or in the ports.

I could eat french food seven nights if I had to, so I’m good to go.

We spend limited time in public areas as my husband does not like crowds, so we use the pools either early or late. We usually go to the shows and listen to music, and I’m sure I’ll visit the chocolate venue daily for a treat.

We got such a great price, I can use the stairs if I have to, bring some non flammable odor killers for the room, and find good food somewhere else if the main dining room cuisine doesn’t thrill me.

I know I’ll enjoy eating outside, sitting on my balcony, taking shore excursions, and just relaxing.

March 31st is only two months away. Can’t wait to sail on MSC again. Even if it’s not in the Yacht Club.

Wish me luck!

I'm not sure I agree with you on this. I've never sailed MSC before, but I've been reading many MSC threads that indicate this policy is not unique to Seaside. Apparently MSC has done this on other ships with a buffet being an adjunct MDR in the evening. Given this is consistent policy I don't see how it can be blamed on architects. This just seems to be something that MSC has chosen to do with their ships. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this design decision, but it is something that differentiates MSC from other cruise lines...at least those that cater to the US market.

MSC is not a newcomer to the cruise market place. They've been doing this a long time, and from what I've heard very successfully. Everyone on CC has constantly stated that MSC wants to establish itself in the US market. I'm not sure where this supposed 'fact' comes from since they've been cruising in the Caribbean for years. Seaside is replacing the Davina for now. They've also sailed seasonal cruises from other Caribbean islands as well for years.

Maybe they do want to expand their presence, but I have yet to see actual statements from MSC themselves as to what this entails. So far the only statements I've seen is from CC members, and they're all basically assumptions. Actually I have seen one statement, but it basically pertains to the Seaside specifically, that it was designed for the Caribbean. It almost seems that this is where all the assumptions derive from. Makes you wonder what they built the Seaview for.

I've alway been amazed how much crap get's thrown around the internet as fact. It's very easy to see why things get labeled as Fake News so often. It's not that it's truly fake, but that people just fail to do their own research and separate fact from fiction and opinion.

MSC has stated in several interviews and at least one press release Seaside is aimed specifically to expand the presence of the line in North America. Think this was commented on by Cpt. Scala at least a couple of times as well and at the christening of the ship. Because you wanted 'facts' I went and found several of these and linked them below.

Exec Chair said it here. Press release detailing reorganization of company's North American division with statement regarding their commitment to the North American market found here. Statement from the line CEO and the guy promoted in the previous link regarding MSC and Seaside and their commitment to the US / North American market found here. And here MSC Executive Chair says they want to boost their North American sailings to 80% North American passengers from the current 40-50% with the christening of Seaside and MSC President Onoprato assures “We know what North American guests are looking for, and we deliver,”.

Please don't take this as rude but rather as a clarification. These are the sorts of statements MSC has been boasting very publicly for the last 2 years and they are why you see this so often mentioned in this forum. Even MSC admits prior to this the North American market has pretty much been an afterthought and they're only just now seeing a bit of limited success over here. Hope this is helpful to catch you up.

While hunting down those links I also noticed there are numerous articles questioning whether MSC perhaps doesn't know what they're talking about as far as the North American market is concerned. I looked over a few of them and I have to say there are some rather important points made. I'm sure like most companies they're finding it difficult to make the hurdle the first few jumps out of the box but I have hope. I'll be sure to come back and let everyone know how it goes after our cruise. :)

Edit: Sorry something went very much skewed with that lets try it again. :)

You made me look at the cancellation policies since i wasn't sure what they were on MSC as a first-timer. Looks like you can cancel without penalty before final payment. Were you within the final payment period for them wanting to keep the deposit or were you outside of the penalty period?

We don't sail until May and haven't made final payment so just wondering what our phone call would be like if we do decide to cancel and so something else.

Thanks!

Cancel without penalty before 90 days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MSC has stated in several interviews and at least one press release Seaside is aimed specifically to expand the presence of the line in North America. Think this was commented on by Cpt. Scala at least a couple of times as well and at the christening of the ship. Because you wanted 'facts' I went and found several of these and linked them below.

Exec Chair said it here. Press release detailing reorganization of company's North American division with statement regarding their commitment to the North American market found here. Statement from the line CEO and the guy promoted in the previous link regarding MSC and Seaside and their commitment to the US / North American market found here. And here MSC Executive Chair says they want to boost their North American sailings to 80% North American passengers from the current 40-50% with the christening of Seaside and MSC President Onoprato assures “We know what North American guests are looking for, and we deliver,”.

Please don't take this as rude but rather as a clarification. These are the sorts of statements MSC has been boasting very publicly for the last 2 years and they are why you see this so often mentioned in this forum. Even MSC admits prior to this the North American market has pretty much been an afterthought and they're only just now seeing a bit of limited success over here. Hope this is helpful to catch you up.

While hunting down those links I also noticed there are numerous articles questioning whether MSC perhaps doesn't know what they're talking about as far as the North American market is concerned. I looked over a few of them and I have to say there are some rather important points made. I'm sure like most companies they're finding it difficult to make the hurdle the first few jumps out of the box but I have hope. I'll be sure to come back and let everyone know how it goes after our cruise. :)

Edit: Sorry something went very much skewed with that lets try it again. :)

Thank you for this helpful post, I see from your signature that you're cruising with this ship next month and I hope the best for you. I'd be interested to read about your experience once you come back. Thanks!

Can you confirm that this arrangement only affects passengers with the Bella experience who choose not to eat in the MDR? My wife and I are booked in a Fantastica balcony at the late dinner seating so I doubt this will be an issue for us. Thank you.

Hi, I am new to MSC experiences, and wondering what is the difference in dinning under Bella and Fantastica?

Thanks in advance!