FYI ... Canceling Seaside Cruise

BestNC Cruiser

So, I ended up coming to the conclusion that canceling my spring break cruise on the seaside was for the best. You can only read so many bad reviews before reality just sinks in. That said, the plan is to wait til next year or later. I figure why not. Maybe many things will have improved and maybe their cool looking private island will be open. I am in no hurry. The seaside is not going anywhere, and it sounds like the YC is the place to be. (which was full)

But just a heads up, I had to spend a good hour plus on the phone with several transfers to get my credit card refund straightened out. I had to forgo my deposit due to cancelation rules, but they tried to keep double what I put down for a deposit. It took three people to get it right. So if you do end up canceling, keep your paperwork and pay attention.

So, I ended up coming to the conclusion that canceling my spring break cruise on the seaside was for the best. You can only read so many bad reviews before reality just sinks in. That said, the plan is to wait til next year or later. I figure why not. Maybe many things will have improved and maybe their cool looking private island will be open. I am in no hurry. The seaside is not going anywhere, and it sounds like the YC is the place to be. (which was full)

But just a heads up, I had to spend a good hour plus on the phone with several transfers to get my credit card refund straightened out. I had to forgo my deposit due to cancelation rules, but they tried to keep double what I put down for a deposit. It took three people to get it right. So if you do end up canceling, keep your paperwork and pay attention.

May I ask what was your sail date and cabin you cancelled? Thanks.

You made me look at the cancellation policies since i wasn't sure what they were on MSC as a first-timer. Looks like you can cancel without penalty before final payment. Were you within the final payment period for them wanting to keep the deposit or were you outside of the penalty period?

We don't sail until May and haven't made final payment so just wondering what our phone call would be like if we do decide to cancel and so something else.

Thanks!

You made me look at the cancellation policies since i wasn't sure what they were on MSC as a first-timer. Looks like you can cancel without penalty before final payment. Were you within the final payment period for them wanting to keep the deposit or were you outside of the penalty period?

We don't sail until May and haven't made final payment so just wondering what our phone call would be like if we do decide to cancel and so something else.

Thanks!

Final payment is at 90 days. Right around January 1st was the 90 day mark.

I don't think I'll cancel....but the bad reviews have given me pause for thought. The bad reviews have certainly tempered my excitement...and i don't blame people writing those bad reviews...and i don't just chalk it up to maiden voyage kinks. There are too many consistent reviews with the same problems...understaffing, smells, elevator breakdowns, long waits, cold food, etc. That's especially troublesome when everyone raves about the beauty of the ship. Hopefully the kinks get worked out in the next couple of weeks.....let's get on the ball management!!

Aurea Balcony 9052# March 31st

I kept watching and waiting for spring break. Almost booked Seaside, the ship is just so beautiful and it was about my older teens. But at the end of the day I know myself and I cannot always let things roll off and not mound up... we booked Harmony of the Seas for the March 31 sailing just a week ago. Our first RCCL. Same as you, will give MSC another year to sort it all out!! Good luck and happy travels!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just booked Seaside beginning of January for Presidents week which is school break time for my DD. In the YC and looking forward to it despite the bad reviews. We are very easy going and will roll with whatever comes our way. Super excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you are right about canceling and waiting until you can sail in the YC. We were on the Divina twice, both in the YC and I can't imagine being anywhere else on the ship. I saw what people were complaining about with my own eyes, and then took the elevator up to a MUCH better experience (there are always a few problems, even in YC but we are pretty easygoing and enjoy our vacations). We don't want to spend the RIDICULOUS prices for the other line's top product and the difference between the prices in the YC and other lines is significant. So when we cruise on other lines, a regular balcony cabin is great. There is no way I would do anything other than YC on MSC. It just isn't worth the frustration no matter how much money is saved.

I don't think I'll cancel....but the bad reviews have given me pause for thought. The bad reviews have certainly tempered my excitement...and i don't blame people writing those bad reviews...and i don't just chalk it up to maiden voyage kinks. There are too many consistent reviews with the same problems...understaffing, smells, elevator breakdowns, long waits, cold food, etc. That's especially troublesome when everyone raves about the beauty of the ship. Hopefully the kinks get worked out in the next couple of weeks.....let's get on the ball management!!

Not saying I disagree with you but why do you NOT chalk the issues you mentioned up to it being a new ship? Those things sound exactly like what I’d expect for a brand new vessel, especially the understaffing and long waits. Or to put it another way, what are your “new ship kinks” to be worked out? Thanks!

There is a current review up today about the Seaside Aurea Balcony: the couple say it was the worst cruise in 43 cruises. MSC is really the Yacht Club or nothing! You did the right thing, keep a lookout for YC (even in a inside YC) would make for a great experience, at a cheap price!!

There is a current review up today about the Seaside Aurea Balcony: the couple say it was the worst cruise in 43 cruises. MSC is really the Yacht Club or nothing! You did the right thing, keep a lookout for YC (even in a inside YC) would make for a great experience, at a cheap price!!

Without even been in the YC I could not disagree more. In all cabins and classes MSC has offered us the best value you can get for your money and (certainly) not the best product, but always a very nice experience.

With so many brillant and balanced reviews from reputable users in this forum, I am very suprised that people really fall into a trap by cancelling because of "fake news". But I can understand the panic of the other cruise companies with MSC pushing so aggressively in the Carribean cruise market ;p

But I can understand the panic of the other cruise companies with MSC pushing so aggressively in the Carribean cruise market ;p
Carnival, Royal and Norwegian are just shaking in their boots over the new competitor from across the pond. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Their architects are so good that the buffet needs to be turned into a makeshift MDR because 5 nightly seating's are not enough for the possible number of passengers on board.

Without even been in the YC I could not disagree more. In all cabins and classes MSC has offered us the best value you can get for your money and (certainly) not the best product, but always a very nice experience.

With so many brillant and balanced reviews from reputable users in this forum, I am very suprised that people really fall into a trap by cancelling because of "fake news". But I can understand the panic of the other cruise companies with MSC pushing so aggressively in the Carribean cruise market ;p

I agree with you. What makes the cancellations most ridiculous, IMHO, is that the ship only began its current itinerary LAST MONTH. Which means it’s only been sailing the Caribbean for maybe 6 or 7 cruises. That’s no where NEAR enough time to work out the kinks. Honestly, didn’t any of these naysayers pay attention to rule #1, ie never cruise on a brand new ship. SMH... [emoji849]

Carnival, Royal and Norwegian are just shaking in their boots over the new competitor from across the pond. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Their architects are so good that the buffet needs to be turned into a makeshift MDR because 5 nightly seating's are not enough for the possible number of passengers on board.

Apparently you do not know what you are talking about. The buffet restaurant at 8 is only used as an overflow restaurant. Normally it is closed in the evening. Why not use it as an MDR? Deck 16 is open for the few people that eat in the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First of all I have a cruise on Seaside booked for early July and I am not cancelling.

However, I do not disregard the bad reviews she is getting.

People are bringing up the same problems over and over.

I have also been on new ships and they were fine. Coral Princess ... maiden voyage. Oasis of the Seas .... one of the first cruises. Norwegian Jewel.....one of the first also.

MSC can fix some of these problems, if they choose to.

However, I do think the problems with over-crowding and bad smells are serious and people have every right to complain about them.

I also cancelled 3/31 cruise. Boy are they tough when you want to cancel. They tried to keep my $396 deposit for 4 people, but I stood my ground and sent them a copy of my invoice where no where did it state the cancellation deadlines. This was 3 phone calls and 2 to supervisors later. My invoice just stated final payment due on 1/30/18. I did have to wait about 6 days or so for the credit to hit my credit card. I was sweating because they sent me no cancellation invoice and actually my reservation still showed on their website after I cancelled the cruise.

I agree with you. What makes the cancellations most ridiculous, IMHO, is that the ship only began its current itinerary LAST MONTH. Which means it’s only been sailing the Caribbean for maybe 6 or 7 cruises. That’s no where NEAR enough time to work out the kinks. Honestly, didn’t any of these naysayers pay attention to rule #1, ie never cruise on a brand new ship. SMH... [emoji849]

You could not be more correct. You hit the nail on the head. "#1 rule" never cruise on a new ship. We canceled our cruise on the seaside. What's the big deal with canceling anyway? We found a cruise at a good price point that we as a family were more confident that we would enjoy. We will be returning at a later date when the "kinks" are worked out. Maybe when the MSC island is open.

I also cancelled my Thanksgiving cruise on the Seaside and replaced it with an all-inclusive in Jamaica. I was booked in one of the side Grand Suites, and I was really looking forward to the cruise.

Then reality starts to set in, the 2 bedroom 2 bath suite became a 1 bedroom 1 bath; the 120 sq.ft. balcony turned out to be just 50 sq.ft.; the private island gets delayed; the decor of the suite is anything but "grand" (I do agree, however, that the public spaces are beautiful). The last straw for me was the extra charge zip line and dinner in the buffet area. Vacation time with family is precious, and I don't want to take a chance on a questionable product just to save a few hundred bucks.

I hope MSC succeeds as competition is good for the industry, but for now I will stick with CCL, RCCL or NCL.

You could not be more correct. You hit the nail on the head. "#1 rule" never cruise on a new ship. We canceled our cruise on the seaside. What's the big deal with canceling anyway? We found a cruise at a good price point that we as a family were more confident that we would enjoy. We will be returning at a later date when the "kinks" are worked out. Maybe when the MSC island is open.

Sounds like canceling was the right thing to do. We're not sailing for another 9 months so by then the ship will be nearly a year old and thus no longer new. I will try and remember to post a review and with any luck the teething pains will have subsided. I hope you have an awesome time on your newly booked cruise.

Let me get this straight. The reviews that show the seaside in a positive light are "brillant and balanced" and "reputable", but any reviews that show the seaside in a negative light is considered "fake news". Do I have that correct?