How can there be such widely varied opinions of the Seaside?

baklabending

For those that think the issues are primarily due to Seaside being new, I'd like to point out that MSC is NOT at all new to Florida. I started following MSC when the Orchestra came in 2008 (an entire decade ago), and I believe there was a ship sailing from Florida before Orchestra too.

For the last 10 years, the common theme of poor service and lower quality has existed on MSC ships. Orchestra, Divina, and now Seaside. With the exception of sewer smell which appears somewhat unique to Seaside, American passengers have been complaining about long dinners, poor service, and low quality time and time again. Based on decades of data from cruise critic, MSC has had the second worst approval rating in the entire industry of ships sailing from Florida (Costa being the worst).

I'll give some issues a pass because the Seaside is new, but MSC is NOT at all new to the US market and many of the issues are not 'new ship' issues, they are MSC issues.

Hi DCguy,

Thank you for your insight. My point was more from an historical perspective. From the first time Albert Ballin sent out a Hapag liner in the late 1800’s, on the first luxury cruise to just a few years ago, a ship would sail on a cruise and embark at the beginning and disembark at the end at just one or two points. The recent multi port approach has enabled many more Europeans to take their first cruise.

For those that think the issues are primarily due to Seaside being new, I'd like to point out that MSC is NOT at all new to Florida. I started following MSC when the Orchestra came in 2008 (an entire decade ago), and I believe there was a ship sailing from Florida before Orchestra too.

For the last 10 years, the common theme of poor service and lower quality has existed on MSC ships. Orchestra, Divina, and now Seaside. With the exception of sewer smell which appears somewhat unique to Seaside, American passengers have been complaining about long dinners, poor service, and low quality time and time again. Based on decades of data from cruise critic, MSC has had the second worst approval rating in the entire industry of ships sailing from Florida (Costa being the worst).

I'll give some issues a pass because the Seaside is new, but MSC is NOT at all new to the US market and many of the issues are not 'new ship' issues, they are MSC issues.

Believe it or not, the last sentence of your penultimate paragraph made me smile, i.e. that Costa had the worst approval rating. My wife and I sailed not once, but twice with Costa, including our honeymoon cruise. We LOVE Costa and in fact it's because MSC is, like Costa, an Italian line, that I wanted to try out the Seaside. I'm getting more and more excited about this cruise. Reading between the lines, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the fussing over the Seaside has to do with Americans expecting MSC to be just like Carnival, RCI, etc (with whom I've also sailed and likewise enjoyed a LOT). I look forward to a European experience in the Caribbean. :D

What does this even mean?

I would rather eat a wide variety of different foods from different ethnic cultures than be on a ship that caters to those who like eating at the Golden Corral.

These kind of comments remind me of Americans who go to other countries with exceptional local cuisine and complain that the hamburgers aren't as good as they are back home.

Obviously...you haven't been reading what we've been talking about and/or the fact MSC is trying to be a player in the North America market (more Americanized!!) Read their brochures...read their vision, read what they striving towards.... If you want to compete with NCL, RCL, Carnival, etc.... Food items and offerings should be similar. This is not the case. Like I've said before if MSC wants to keep its European flair and remain a "Niche" cruise company....thats fine. But don't market it that you are going after the big boys and you don't deliver on the "americanizing" piece.

BB 2014 ... You missed out Poesia which sailed a number of times out of FLL.

DC guy ... I am sure you know that Costa is also a carnival brand.

I sure do. Fincantieri makes both Carnival and Costa ships. :D I've had two cruises on Carnival and two on Costa, all of them wonderful. Perfect? No, but wonderful all the same.

Obviously...you haven't been reading what we've been talking about and/or the fact MSC is trying to be a player in the North America market (more Americanized!!) Read their brochures...read their vision, read what they striving towards.... If you want to compete with NCL, RCL, Carnival, etc.... Food items and offerings should be similar. This is not the case. Like I've said before if MSC wants to keep its European flair and remain a "Niche" cruise company....thats fine. But don't market it that you are going after the big boys and you don't deliver on the "americanizing" piece.

Hmm, I actually think that doesn't make sense. Why would a company wanting to break into the American market do their cruises just like the established players? If anything, they see an opportunity to offer an approach that is distinct from (not identical to) the offerings of the cruise lines you cite. I can think of a particular mobile phone maker that broke into an already crowded field in 2007 and revolutionized the industry. So no, I don't think there's anything inconsistent with MSC wanting to compete in the US market while simultaneously doing things differently than the competition.

I don't think the long time for dinners is an MSC thing either. Out last three cruises were on NCL, I would say we averaged 1.5 - 1.75 hours for dinner in all the main dinning rooms. I'm not saying i liked it, i'm an eat now taste later kind of guy. But i then I realize their cooking for 1000's of people all showing up at once. I'm still pretty impressed. Anyways March 10 cant get here fast enough. No offense to anyone, but I take everyone's review with a grain of salt (Good or Bad) And on March 18 when I write a review of the Seaside (Good or Bad) I hope you take it with a grain of salt also. Go and enjoy spending time with your family/friends, enjoy the fact you get to go places you don't get to go everyday, enjoy that your not the one that has to clean the dishes, cooks your meals (Even though it's going to take 2 hours).

Believe it or not, the last sentence of your penultimate paragraph made me smile, i.e. that Costa had the worst approval rating. My wife and I sailed not once, but twice with Costa, including our honeymoon cruise. We LOVE Costa and in fact it's because MSC is, like Costa, an Italian line, that I wanted to try out the Seaside. I'm getting more and more excited about this cruise. Reading between the lines, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the fussing over the Seaside has to do with Americans expecting MSC to be just like Carnival, RCI, etc (with whom I've also sailed and likewise enjoyed a LOT). I look forward to a European experience in the Caribbean. :D

I had to look up penultimate:). I think you’re going to do just fine on seaside. Your expectations are in line with the product. MSc is a great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, I actually think that doesn't make sense. Why would a company wanting to break into the American market do their cruises just like the established players? If anything, they see an opportunity to offer an approach that is distinct from (not identical to) the offerings of the cruise lines you cite. I can think of a particular mobile phone maker that broke into an already crowded field in 2007 and revolutionized the industry. So no, I don't think there's anything inconsistent with MSC wanting to compete in the US market while simultaneously doing things differently than the competition.

In order for MSc to compete in the US market the thing they are going to need to keep doing is pricing their cruises 25-50% below the competition. This is how they have priced in the US for the last decade- budget. Cheap cruises that offer A good value. I know that personally, dollars being equal, MSc would be my last choice. But price her 50% lower than the competition and things get interesting.

Dilly Dilly

(for all you foreigners you'll have to google that to see how easily us Americans are amused and influenced by mass marketing)

Edited by fraffin

I had to look up penultimate:). I think you’re going to do just fine on seaside. Your expectations are in line with the product. MSc is a great value.

Haha, I guess I could have written “next to last” instead. Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

MSC is for those that can adapt to change, for those who are looking for something different, for those who do not want to be there yesterday, for those who do not need the crew to be their friends, for those who can sit and enjoy a meal unrushed, for those who do not want what they have at home.

There are plenty of others offering more of the same thing, MSC is not one of them, if the above is not for you then please sail with those others.

Very nice summarization. Appreciate the feedback and history of MSC. I would tend to agree....Unfortunately they have been marketing themselves in the North American market as wanting to be a serious competitor to the Carnivals, RCL, NCL, Princess of the worlds.... As I said earlier in another post.... They should have left it alone and your "niche"...different experience logic would be right on!!

Many thanks to the kind words!... Have a nice day!...

MSC is for those that can adapt to change, for those who are looking for something different, for those who do not want to be there yesterday, for those who do not need the crew to be their friends, for those who can sit and enjoy a meal unrushed, for those who do not want what they have at home.

There are plenty of others offering more of the same thing, MSC is not one of them, if the above is not for you then please sail with those others.

Yes! Where is the like button, please?... Have a nice day!... :)

Thanks for your post. Are we allowed to write in foreign languages? If so, muito obrigado pela tua perspectiva sob a indústria de cruzeiros. Adoro o teu país! [emoji1201]

Many thanks for your kind words!...

Muito obrigado pelas suas palavras Amigas!!!... :) :) :)

Wait, I'm confused by the idea that Americans can't adapt to change. I have been cruising for 20 years - the changes in that time have been MASSIVE. There are changes from year to year constantly. There are changes from line-to-line.

I will admit that my failure in getting myself over hyped for Seaside was that I wasn't considering it for what it was, a very budget cruise line. When I look at it through the lens of discount/bargain bin - I can excuse all of the issues people have said they are having. When I walk into a discount/bargain bin store - I know what I am getting. However, I got thrown off by the constant chatter of the "swarovski stairs" and assumed they were just discounting the prices to lure people in; not because the prices were representative of the product long term.

I see that I need to look at it as discount/bargain bin because whenever someone has any complaint - no matter how big or small, the comeback is always, "But, look at how little you paid!" Okay, I get it. But, MSC would go a LONG way with just being more honest about what it is and what people should expect. Just say - look, this is your way of cruising as cheaply as possible.

I get it - if you book a flight on Frontier Airlines, you know how you are going to be treated. For some folks, that is perfectly okay. I was imagining Seaside to be more aligned with Southwest Airlines, still lower cost, but those they also pride themselves on strong customer service. I think many Americans are like me - we were thinking Southwest Airlines, not Frontier Airlines. Being the 'Frontier Airlines' of the American cruise industry isn't a bad thing. It will just decrease angry customers and bad reviews significantly if they advertised who they truly are.

If I take my scheduled cruise, I will go in expecting the bargain bin experience and I am sure I won't be disappointed. I might be even be surprised in a couple of ways. But, now at least I know what I am getting.

Many thanks for your kind words!...

Muito obrigado pelas suas palavras Amigas!!!... :) :) :)

You’re welcome, you live in one of the most beautiful and interesting cities in the world.

De nada, você mora numa das cidades mais lindas e interessantes do mundo.

Hi Nunagoras,

Thanks for your insight and viewpoint from your region of the world. I think you are correct, from your perspective, MSC is filling the niche market in Europe. MSC is unique because they are offering cruises from almost all the major ports in Europe. They are embarking and disembarking passengers all along their cruise route and that is a new twist. MSC is making cruising accessible to all Europeans and that one fact is expanding their market. There is, however, a bigger story unfolding. About a dozen years ago MSC set up its American Division and that has been growing steadily ever since. Cruising in America is just getting started. I have not looked at the numbers recently but I know it is safe to say that at least 80% of Americans have yet to take their first cruise. I am willing to bet that less than 10% of Europeans have gone on a cruise. Top these numbers off with the fact that the first consideration of a novice cruiser (a newbie) is price. Add to this that MSC will continue to improve their product. All the mass market lines answer to a corporate board of directors who answer to stockholders. These mass market lines continue to squeeze the numbers to fatten the bottom line and reward the board and the stockholders. MSC is a privately owned corporation that is family owned and can make decisions and indulge in expenses that the other lines cannot. Ask yourself how much tweeking it would take to make MSC a formidable competitor. My prediction for MSC is a very healthy and successful future that will offer a superior product at a reasonable price. If America continues on the path to an economic boom there will be a lot more newbies taking their first cruise, not to mention the increase of repeat business.

Many thanks for your kind words!

USA cruising is just starting... As is European one!... MSC will improve vastly? Yes, as will all the competitors!... But starting at the very point they are now!...

Finally: It seems that I'm not alone on thinking that MSC is predestined to be such a niche market cruise line in the US market... Take a look on this: “Even with the Divina, Seaside and Meraviglia compared to the size of the North American market, this is a little drop,” Guess whom said this? Gianni Onorato, MSC's CEO!...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18331-inside-msc-s-ambitious-north-america-plan.html

In order for you to understand all of this, let me to say that here in Europe, full cost wise including the most expensive drinks package and gratuities, a typical MSC cruise is running at an average of some nearly 150 Euros per couple less than the competition considering same stateroom category... And the Meraviglia is selling sometimes at nearly RCI Oasis class fares!... So now on to the Caribbean itineraries, that difference if far large as I can see on their website!... Believe me or not, if things do not improve, they will not run the ships at a loss or marginal profit... And they are aware of that!...

Have a nice day!... :)

Having sailed on the Seaside last week, I can tell you exactly why there are such widely divergent reviews.

Generally speaking, if they stayed in the Yacht Club, they loved it.

If they are from Europe, or have traveled to Europe extensively, they love it.

If they are from the United States, and especially if they have sailed previously with Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Carnival, or Princess... they are disappointed in many aspects because they encounter things that either are not tailored to American tastes or things that they have seen done so much better on other cruise lines.

I'm going to be posting a full review of my cruise, which will show detailed examples of the things I'm alluding to here... it just takes time for me to edit photos and videos and write a detailed, comprehensive review. I'll post it when it's ready, and you'll see why I say that although there were some really great things about my cruise on the MSC Seaside, overall it was (by far) the worst cruise I've been on... and I've been on 43 cruises.

Did you stay in the YC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many thanks for your kind words!

USA cruising is just starting... As is European one!... MSC will improve vastly? Yes, as will all the competitors!... But starting at the very point they are now!...

Finally: It seems that I'm not alone on thinking that MSC is predestined to be such a niche market cruise line in the US market... Take a look on this: “Even with the Divina, Seaside and Meraviglia compared to the size of the North American market, this is a little drop,” Guess whom said this? Gianni Onorato, MSC's CEO!...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18331-inside-msc-s-ambitious-north-america-plan.html

In order for you to understand all of this, let me to say that here in Europe, full cost wise including the most expensive drinks package and gratuities, a typical MSC cruise is running at an average of some nearly 150 Euros per couple less than the competition considering same stateroom category... And the Meraviglia is selling sometimes at nearly RCI Oasis class fares!... So now on to the Caribbean itineraries, that difference if far large as I can see on their website!... Believe me or not, if things do not improve, they will not run the ships at a loss or marginal profit... And they are aware of that!...

Have a nice day!... :)

Thank you Nunagoras,

“Yes, as will all the competitors”...(improve). Unfortunately the mass market lines are continuing their downward spiral...they are not improving. The management continues to squeeze every dime and dollar out in order to reward the management and stockholders. When you are paying your CEO over 20 million dollars per quarter in stock options...you know something has to give as far as the passengers/guests are concerned. Hence, the decline in quality that has become so obvious in the mass market lines. My point is that MSC is not held hostage to this stockholder model. They are free to be less conservative in their business plans. If you look at the company over the past 15 years you can see that their projections are ever upwards. The last time we saw something like this happen in the cruise industry was the rise of the Chandris family which became Celebrity Cruises. It is no mistake that MSC has acquired the services of a man who was President of Chandris-Celebrity Cruises who has worked with MSC for the past twelve years and is now the CEO of MSC America. Despite Gianni Onorato’s downplaying of MSC’s impact in he American market...they are here in the USA for the long run. I know the management and I can tell you they are listening and they are planning their next moves. The numbers they are playing with are mind boggling. They are putting together a labor force of approximately 32,000 people at sea and another 12,000 on shore leave. All these people need to be trained and most of them are currently taking additional language lessons. All this will take time. Again...I am predicting success...eventually.

No, he didn't...maybe he will next time.

His previous worst was a NCL cruise. Now, NCL is his favorite. There's still a chance for MSC to win him over.

In fairness to everyone...please remember Yacht Club is only 7% of the ship. I sorta chuckle how everyone says I will only cruise MSC in Yacht Club. Well.... if this becomes the norm... either MSC better begin some major reconfiguration of cabins or there will be some long waits to cruise MSC

Here is sit packing up and thinking about my overall experience with my first MSC cruise. In general, we had a wonderful time. Yes, I was in the YC so perhaps my view is skewed, but we also went to several bars around the ship, to the specialty restaurants, the casino, the spa, the shops...we went to shows and played games and bingo. We went to the arcade and the F1 racer so we didnt just squirrel away inside the exclusivity of the YC. Everywhere we went the crew was working hard and were friendly. We have been cruising for over 25 years and have been on most main stream cruise lines. Was it perfect?.... no, nothing is, but we had a fun, relaxing cruise. This is clearly one persons opinion. I’m sure if 100 of us were on the same ship at the end of the week we might have 100 different cruise experiences, but I am confused by the overwhelming negativity I keep reading here. Has every other cruise you’ve ever been on been so perfect that this pales in comparison? It can’t just be about the buffet right? I’m asking those who have actually sailed Seaside, not those who have made up their minds based on the individual critique of others.

Here is sit packing up and thinking about my overall experience with my first MSC cruise. In general, we had a wonderful time. Yes, I was in the YC so perhaps my view is skewed, but we also went to several bars around the ship, to the specialty restaurants, the casino, the spa, the shops...we went to shows and played games and bingo. We went to the arcade and the F1 racer so we didnt just squirrel away inside the exclusivity of the YC. Everywhere we went the crew was working hard and were friendly. We have been cruising for over 25 years and have been on most main stream cruise lines. Was it perfect?.... no, nothing is, but we had a fun, relaxing cruise. This is clearly one persons opinion. I’m sure if 100 of us were on the same ship at the end of the week we might have 100 different cruise experiences, but I am confused by the overwhelming negativity I keep reading here. Has every other cruise you’ve ever been on been so perfect that this pales in comparison? It can’t just be about the buffet right? I’m asking those who have actually sailed Seaside, not those who have made up their minds based on the individual critique of others.

I was (and am) grateful for your review and was happy to read about your experience. It cemented my view that the Seaside is a beautiful, fun ship with a lot to offer. Like you, I’m stymied by the number of negative reviews and even sadder that so many people have written to say they’ve canceled in large part BASED on those reviews. Oh well, it’s their call, and they must do what they feel is right. But I have a strong hunch that things will improve this year and, perhaps, if those who’ve now canceled stay on CC and begin to read strongly positive reviews later on, they may realize they were too hasty to judge. Anyway, only time will tell. Thanks for your review and your helpful reply to my earlier questions.