Security AgIn .

Muumuu

Depends.

If you arrive on an international flight and clear immigration and customs at ATL you will need to clear security again. If you arrive into ATL as a domestic passenger and are connecting you will not need to reclear security.....unless you're on separate tickets with checked bags etc. etc.

Unless you provide actual details it'll be GIGO.

Depends.

If you arrive on an international flight and clear immigration and customs at ATL you will need to clear security again. If you arrive into ATL as a domestic passenger and are connecting you will not need to reclear security.....unless you're on separate tickets with checked bags etc. etc.

Unless you provide actual details it'll be GIGO.

Re: arrival on an international flight in ATL, yes, one must clear immigration and customs and I found that not an issue to do, other than unclear directions as to which Passport kiosk I ought to use. (The ones marked "Global Entry" are TRULY for only those whose passports have Global Entry.)

Going through security again was a very disappointing experience for this TSA Pre-Check flier. NO TSA Pre-Check lines available. My plane arrived at 5:30 A. M. and this area seemed to be just opening. Much confusion, long lines, another section opening for security in which I was able to use, and then, for no apparent reason, that section was closed! And, the line closed off from using that section was not a short one!

When I asked why there was not a TSA Pre-Check line, my question was ignored and the Agent's attitude was rude. (Maybe the Agent needed another cup of coffee.)

Muumuu,

All the above information is accurate.

There is absolutely no guarantee that you will connect in the same concourse. Either check the Delta app when you land or check the overhead monitor as you enter the gate from the plane. The monitors are overhead.

Also note that if your connection is over about 1 1/2 hours there could be a gate change which may or may not include a concourse change.

International arrivals come into either concourse E or F. Delta international departures could be from concourse F, E, T, or A. Domestic arrivals and departures could be from any of the 7 concourses.

Check the layout in the onboard magazine if you are not familiar with Hartsfield-Jackson. The majority of the elevators/escalators to the train are around gates 18/19. Look up for signage.

Domestic connection no, you do not need to go through security no matter what terminal or concourse you arrive in. All terminals and concourses in ATL are connected post security through the underground walkway or train.

International arrival, then you will need to clear security again.

If you arrive on an international flight and clear immigration and customs at ATL you will need to clear security again.
International arrival, then you will need to clear security again.
To add to the "need more details" request, presumably if you are an international arrival but you have pre-cleared immigration and customs at your origin (eg if arriving from some Canadian points), you will be treated as a security-cleared passenger and so will not need to clear security again at ATL?

To add to the "need more details" request, presumably if you are an international arrival but you have pre-cleared immigration and customs at your origin (eg if arriving from some Canadian points), you will be treated as a security-cleared passenger and so will not need to clear security again at ATL?

Correct. Flights that have US pre-clearance for C/I at the departure airport arrive in the US as thought they are domestic flights. You land, walk off the plane, and either go straight to your connecting gate or to baggage claim if it's your final destination...no need for security.

For those who don't understand having to clear security again, the whole reason one normally has to clear security after going through customs in the US is because the process is this. land, get bags, clear customs, re-check bags. That means you've had access to your checked bags in the interim, and in theory, could have moved some item that isn't allowed in the passenger cabin into your carry-on bag, ex. weapon, large bottle of liquor, etc. So you have to go through security again after clearing customs to make sure you didn't do that.

If you arrive from a departure point that has pre-clearance for US customs and immigration, that process is done at the departing airport. When you land in the US, you don't clear customs (because you already did pre-departure) so you don't get any interim access to your bags, hence no need to re-clear security. Same as a domestic flight connection....you don't get access to your checked bags at the midway point so you don't have to re-clear security there. (possible exception if you are traveling on two different tickets and have to go back outside the secure area to check in with the 2nd airline)

waterbug123,

Thank you for the explanation of why one has to go through Security again. I realized that I was "out of the secure area" when I was connecting to my domestic flight in ATL. What I did not understand was why there was no TSA Pre-Check line at Terminal F. Any idea why TSA does not have one there?

waterbug123,

Thank you for the explanation of why one has to go through Security again. I realized that I was "out of the secure area" when I was connecting to my domestic flight in ATL. What I did not understand was why there was no TSA Pre-Check line at Terminal F. Any idea why TSA does not have one there?

Because TSA sucks? LOL

Sorry, that's the best I can tell you. It's gripe of many travelers who connect at ATL after international flights.

Thanks for your reply, waterbug 123. No logical reason is what I am assuming. I e-mailed one of my U. S. Senators about this situation and have received no response. As time permits me, I will pursue this situation with all 3 of my Congressional Representatives and see if I can get at least one of them to get an explanation from TSA. If successful, I will post what I learn on this Message Board.

Edited by rkacruiser

They state it isn't busy enough to warrant one.

Oh. What a lovely bureaucratic response! So, Delta 110 is the only international arrival at that early hour of the morning?

How, then, can TSA explain the continuous operation, once open for the day, of a TSA Pre-Check Line at an airport that is much less busy than ATL?