Boarding in Barcelona when ship leaves at 7 pm

zahav1

what would be the earliest we'll be able to board or check in the luggage, if the ship leaves Barcelona at 7 pm. I am thinking of checking in just the luggage if possible and then going out on the town till 5 pm or so. Is that a possibility? What time does actual boarding start?

We cruise out of Barcelona in November 2019. We also don't depart until 7:00 PM. I am hoping to board early, drop luggage, then go back and visit Basílica Sagrada Familia. It's far enough away still that I haven't really looked into it but believe I can purchase tickets in advance online so as to not wait in a long line to enter. We should hit Barcelona on November 2 and don't sail until November 4. Not a lot of time but hoping to see a bit of the city. We will actually be coming from a 12 day Search for the Northern Lights cruise (12 days rt from Southampton) and are tentatively planning to take the train. We depart the ship in Southampton on the morning of October 31 (Halloween) and are hoping to take the train to Paris and spend 2 nights then on to Barcelona for another 2 nights and then take the 14 day TA back to the US. It's not enough time in either city but we will just have to make the best of the time we have. We will also (duh...) need to arrive a couple of days early in London in order to take in some sights before boarding ship in Southampton. So very far off still. Sigh... Good thing we have a cruise coming up in March and will be taking a long cross country camping trip this summer. Perhaps I will need to snag another cruise either late this year or early next year. So many things I want to do and so little time (and money).

We cruise out of Barcelona in November 2019. We also don't depart until 7:00 PM. I am hoping to board early, drop luggage, then go back and visit Basílica Sagrada Familia. It's far enough away still that I haven't really looked into it but believe I can purchase tickets in advance online so as to not wait in a long line to enter. We should hit Barcelona on November 2 and don't sail until November 4. Not a lot of time but hoping to see a bit of the city. We will actually be coming from a 12 day Search for the Northern Lights cruise (12 days rt from Southampton) and are tentatively planning to take the train. We depart the ship in Southampton on the morning of October 31 (Halloween) and are hoping to take the train to Paris and spend 2 nights then on to Barcelona for another 2 nights and then take the 14 day TA back to the US. It's not enough time in either city but we will just have to make the best of the time we have. We will also (duh...) need to arrive a couple of days early in London in order to take in some sights before boarding ship in Southampton. So very far off still. Sigh... Good thing we have a cruise coming up in March and will be taking a long cross country camping trip this summer. Perhaps I will need to snag another cruise either late this year or early next year. So many things I want to do and so little time (and money).

Yes you can book tickets in advance for Sagrada. You book them for particular time window so you must be ready to enter that the time says on your ticket. From memory groups enter every half hour and the ticket issue times are just to control crowds. You only need to book about two days ahead in summer so I would think by November one day ahead would be sufficient.

Not sure whether you want any other advice re Barca but the HOHO bus is great. There are two major companies that have these buses - the red one that's in many cities around the world and a blue/green one called Turistic I think from memory. Both are great and give you a good look around before you decide where you might want to get off. Barca is a great city.

From my experience at Sagrada Familia I would tell you that if you could get there when it first opens it is quite amazing! Being there without crowds of people was quite unique. We ordered the tickets ahead of time on line and then printed them out when we were in Barcelona. I would hope you have several days to explore as Barcelona is a wonderful city!!

Sounds like you will be on the Emerald. We just booked it yesterday. Someone started a roll call that has the date Oct 24 Rome-FLL . It is the 28 day version which includes the TA. Go ahead and sign up. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2573917

Sounds like you will be on the Emerald. We just booked it yesterday. Someone started a roll call that has the date Oct 24 Rome-FLL . It is the 28 day version which includes the TA. Go ahead and sign up. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2573917

That would explain why I haven't seen a roll call for the cruise. Looks like I'll need to join the one for the longer cruise. That's always a bit "odd" but can't be helped. Thanks for the heads up.

what would be the earliest we'll be able to board or check in the luggage, if the ship leaves Barcelona at 7 pm. I am thinking of checking in just the luggage if possible and then going out on the town till 5 pm or so. Is that a possibility? What time does actual boarding start?

I have been to barcelona many times, I suggest you go a couple of days early and enjoy the city. Do not try to see in a few hours.

We arrived at the cruise terminal around 10:30am and were able to drop off our bags and check in immediately. We are platinum so were in the first platinum boarding group and were on the ship by midday. I can't remember exact what time boarding commenced, probably 11:30am. There was a nice lounge area for priority boarders with hot drinks, snacks, and conveniently located restrooms.

Taxis are very reasonable in Barcelona and it would be best to get a taxi to La Sagrada Familia from the cruise terminal. Do book online and plan to arrive a bit early. There are a few nice cafes around La Sagrada Familia so if you get there too early you can get a coffee or something. Also allow time to take photos of the front of the building. The entrance is at the back.

The HoHo buses are a great way to get an overview of the city but both routes run at over 2 hours for the complete circuit, so not always practical to use to get from one place to another unless you plan your day. Allow some time to ramble through the smaller streets of the Gothic Centre too.

There is a Hop on, hop off bus in Barcelona that makes it very easy to see the city. There are actually 3 bus routes and you can change buses at any of the intersecting points noted on the map. Obviously if your goal is to see one particular spot, this isn't the best way to get there, but if the goal is to "see the city" with the ability to spend time at any place that particularly interests you, it is convenient.

Actually, and I should have mentioned this earlier, there are two HoHo companies in Barcelona. One operates two routes. The other, as moki'smommy mentioned, has three routes. We used the two route company and each route was over two hours for the circuit.

Back in the summer of 2014 we took the Eurostar train from St. Pancras station in London to Gare du Nord in Paris. We found that to be a wonderful trip. We had reserved and paid for our seats before we left the states. After a few days in Paris we left from Gare de Lyon for the trip to Barcelona. This was also an excellent trip. I highly recommend the trains in Europe. Again we reserved and paid for our tickets before we left home. There is a blog titled "seat 61" that I used to plan the travel.

Back in the summer of 2014 we took the Eurostar train from St. Pancras station in London to Gare du Nord in Paris. We found that to be a wonderful trip. We had reserved and paid for our seats before we left the states. After a few days in Paris we left from Gare de Lyon for the trip to Barcelona. This was also an excellent trip. I highly recommend the trains in Europe. Again we reserved and paid for our tickets before we left home. There is a blog titled "seat 61" that I used to plan the travel.

Thanks for the info. I've bookmarked the site for "The Man in Seat 61". Our cruise is quite a bit in the future but it pays to start marshaling resources well in advance.

There is a Hop on' date=' hop off bus in Barcelona that makes it very easy to see the city. There are actually 3 bus routes and you can change buses at any of the intersecting points noted on the map. Obviously if your goal is to see one particular spot, this isn't the best way to get there, but if the goal is to "see the city" with the ability to spend time at any place that particularly interests you, it is convenient.[/quote']Does the HOHO have a stop at the port if we check luggage and want to tour? Or is it far form the port?

Does the HOHO have a stop at the port if we check luggage and want to tour? Or is it far form the port?

No there is no stop at the port. The HOHO bus goes fairly close but not to the port itself. Personally I would catch a taxi to Placa Catalunya which would not cost much and start the HOHO from there. That is the major starting point for the buses even though you can get on/off and pay anywhere.

No there is no stop at the port. The HOHO bus goes fairly close but not to the port itself. Personally I would catch a taxi to Placa Catalunya which would not cost much and start the HOHO from there. That is the major starting point for the buses even though you can get on/off and pay anywhere.
Thanks so much for the info...We are actually in Barecelona from the 14-17 and want to do a two day pass HOHO but think will do 15-16th for that and poss take a cab to port on 17, check bags and walk around the port area for part of the day. Is it a good area to walk around ? Is there a board walk /beach nearby to check out? I hear there is a great Mall in that Pier Area. Is that so ? Never been so it's nice to catch some info from those who have.

I doubt you would want to walk around the port area even if it was possible, it's a long wharf with multiple cruise terminals and not a lot else. Princess uses Terminal C which is a fair way along the wharf, the third terminal building I think. One road in/out with a bridge across to the shore, and no shade. There may be shuttle buses to the World Trade Centre where the HoHo bus stops. I don't recall seeing any shopping malls in that area, I think the nearest is Arenas (build in an old bull fighting ring) and that's about 6kms away. Not sure if the World Trade Centre has shops, it does have some cafes I believe.

Seriously, drop off your bags and just get a taxi back to wherever you want to go. It will only cost you about 6-8 Euros.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks for the info. I've bookmarked the site for "The Man in Seat 61". Our cruise is quite a bit in the future but it pays to start marshaling resources well in advance.

We've done the Eurostar from London to Paris in the past, and we took the TGV (or whatever it's called now) from Paris to Barcelona for our cruise last September. The Man in Seat 61 is an excellent resource, I've used that website many times over the years.

Thanks so much for the info...We are actually in Barecelona from the 14-17 and want to do a two day pass HOHO but think will do 15-16th for that and poss take a cab to port on 17, check bags and walk around the port area for part of the day. Is it a good area to walk around ? Is there a board walk /beach nearby to check out? I hear there is a great Mall in that Pier Area. Is that so ? Never been so it's nice to catch some info from those who have.

As OzKiwiJJ has said, there is little around the cruise ship ports but just outside and to the left is the pier area which is a longish walk from the cruise port. The shopping mall you are referring to I think would be Maremagnum which is ok but I've seen better. However that area is great for a place to sit and take in the views, have a coffee or preferably a large Estrella, and just people watch. The pier area is worth a look and the whole area stretches over a wide area. If you keep following the water and feel active you'll get to some beaches.

Depending on where you are staying in Barcelona I would just leave my bags at the hotel and go and get them when you want to head to the port. Even though you have checked out, hotels will securely store your bags until you want them. That way, once you enter the port you can just check in and get on the ship.

Barcelona is flat and very easy to walk around. You'll probably get lost in the Gothic area laneways but that's part of the experience and you'll probably walk past some attraction by mistake. As mentioned above, it is wise to pre-book tickets to Sagrada and Park Guell as they restrict the number of people going through. Your hotel should be able to do these bookings for you the day you arrive and you only need a day or two notice, or alternatively book before you leave home. I would also recommend a half day tour to Montserrat if you have time. Barcelona Day Tours are great for that and any other tour you might want to do.

I doubt you would want to walk around the port area even if it was possible, it's a long wharf with multiple cruise terminals and not a lot else. Princess uses Terminal C which is a fair way along the wharf, the third terminal building I think. One road in/out with a bridge across to the shore, and no shade. There may be shuttle buses to the World Trade Centre where the HoHo bus stops. I don't recall seeing any shopping malls in that area, I think the nearest is Arenas (build in an old bull fighting ring) and that's about 6kms away. Not sure if the World Trade Centre has shops, it does have some cafes I believe.

Seriously, drop off your bags and just get a taxi back to wherever you want to go. It will only cost you about 6-8 Euros.[/quoteOK Great information, thanks so much ~