Alaska vs Hawaii cruises

sss08pea25bee69

I'd go Alaska. Full disclosure never done a Hawaii cruise, but I have been there more than once. I agree Hawaii is a magical place that there is so much to see and do on each of the island's that there is no way you can take it all in. We spent a week on Kauai year before last (had a great time trip of a life time), but we left with so much more we wanted to do that was just undiscovered perks from talking to full time residents. I'm sure the cruise is great but no matter how much port time there is you are still going to be rushed a bit to get it all done, and still not have time to do it all.

I’m 54, not sure I’m old enough yet for an Alaska cruise....

My first Alaskan cruise was at age 19 or 20. The place is still my favorite. Already booked my 3rd Alaskan cruise.

My parents just went on a Hawaii cruise. It's a lot of time in port (because the islands are so close together), but it's still not enough IMO. You need at least 3 days at the bigger islands (5 to be honest) and at least a couple for Kauai to even get a decent taste of each island.

Well I am 50 ! Did both Hawaii 2017 ,Alaska 2015. My daughter got engaged on the Alaska cruise! So do not worry about age

Both cruises were on other lines.

Both cruises were amazing! Hawaii was a 10 day from Vancouver including Hilo,Kona, Kauai,Maui and Ended in Honolulu where we spent 3 nights after the cruise.

Alaska was 7 Days from Vancouver including Icy point straight,Jueanu,Skagway,Hubbard glacier and ending in Anchorage

I will third that Hawaii on the PoA was magical we sailed in 2014. We are going to Alaska on the Bliss in July so then I can give you an opinion. We spent a couple days in Honolulu before the cruise and toured Pearl Harbor. After the cruise we rented a VRBO on the other side of the island on the beach and visited the Polynesian Center they have a great Luau.

Others above have posted about the other islands which you don't get enough time on. This is reason to go back and do it again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've done both on NCL and I would definitely do Alaska. We prefer a land trip when we do Hawaii. The ports we woke up in while in Hawaii were working ports and not the same as resorts or homes we had rented while on the different islands to watch sunrises. Although there are two overnights it just didn't give us the experience we wanted. We did have friends who got a hotel on one of the overnights and enjoyed beautiful scenery so that is a way to do it.

I did Alaska with Celebrity, but NCL for Hawaii. When asked I always say I would do AK again before Hawaii. Don't get me wrong, Hawaii is beautiful and I loved it, but I can go to a beach lots of places. To me AK was one of a kind.

That being said.... you can't go wrong with either!

We've done both and I would vote Alaska - one way not round trip. Our Alaska cruise was on Princess. It was our first cruise. Hawaii is way easier as a land-based trip than Alaska. An after trying to DIY Alaska the cruise was cheaper.

Alaska, hands down. A balcony cabin is a must as you are in sight of shore most of the time and hugging the rail with a bunch of other passengers is not for me. As to Hawaii; we are from Michigan and have done two Hawaii cruises. The first was Norwegian, where we had to fly to Hawaii with a total of nine hours flight time. The second trip was on Princess round trip out of LA.

If you choose Alaska we found that a round trip out of Seattle is the way to go. If you go out of Vancouver the air fare is a little steeper.

Good luck.

I would much rather spend nine days at sea as opposed to the five hours of flight from LA to Honolulu.

Alaska, hands down. A balcony cabin is a must as you are in sight of shore most of the time and hugging the rail with a bunch of other passengers is not for me. As to Hawaii; we are from Michigan and have done two Hawaii cruises. The first was Norwegian, where we had to fly to Hawaii with a total of nine hours flight time. The second trip was on Princess round trip out of LA.

If you choose Alaska we found that a round trip out of Seattle is the way to go. If you go out of Vancouver the air fare is a little steeper.

Good luck.

I would much rather spend nine days at sea as opposed to the five hours of flight from LA to Honolulu.

I mostly agree. It's not just fighting the crowds, but fighting the crowds when you're cold. Just not fun. Balcony in Alaska just felt so much more worth it than a balcony in a tropical location. Alaska almost feels like a necessity. In the tropics, it feels more like a luxury as it's no big deal to just find a public spot to get fresh air.

Anyways, I was really just posting to say that while Seattle flights are cheaper than Vancouver if you're US based, Seattle is usually for roundtrip cruises. For Alaska, you want as much time in port and ideally you want to hit Glacier Bay (maybe Hubbard). One way cruises (Vancouver to Anchorage or vice versa) tend to give you much better port times and the ability to see Glacier Bay. Worth the extra hassle and expense from the air travel.

For Hawaii, I'd rather take those extra 5 hours of flight time, and use those extra 9 days instead of at sea, but on a couple different islands. You can easily do a glorious Oahu, Maui, and Kauai/Big Island land based trip in the time of a roundtrip from LA. Plus, crossing the Pacific can get quite rocky at times.

I am looking at taking either an Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise in 2019 for my 50th birthday. Has anyone done either or both of these cruises on Norwegian? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I did the Hawaiian cruise for my 50th and had the best time! We all had such great fun on board the ship ( had an aft balcony which was the best for the scenery) and every day on such beautiful islands was bliss... I am a holiday in the sun kind a gal however I am saving Alaska for a later time.... enjoy whichever you choose

I've done both with Norwegian. They were both amazing. My only complaint, having an all American crew, the service was sorely lacking on the Hawaiian cruise. We always go a couple days ahead of time so we can enjoy some sights before the cruise. On the Hawaiian cruise, I felt they gave you plenty of time on the islands. It gives you a taste of them all. If I ever return to Hawaii, I'll know which island I'd want to return to.

I would definitely go back to Alaska in a heart beat. The experiences there are like no other. It's so beautiful and unspoiled. It depends on what you're hoping for in a cruise. If you're looking for amazing scenery, untamed beauty, go with Alaska. If you're looking for sand & surf, Hawaii it is. You can't go wrong with either one.

Not true that only seniors go to Alaska, it's for all ages.

I am looking at taking either an Alaskan or Hawaiian cruise in 2019 for my 50th birthday. Has anyone done either or both of these cruises on Norwegian? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I have done both destinations via cruises (Alaska with HAL and Hawaii on POA - some years ago). Frankly I don't find the experiences easy to compare. I greatly enjoyed both but for different reasons.

Alaska is all about really BIG vistas, wildlife, glaciers. Hawaii is about gorgeous tropical scenery, volcanoes, beaches,snorkeling.

I would say that I preferred the Hawaian cruise but I am fascinated by being up close to volcanoes (dormant or active).

For both these trips I found the cruise ship itself was mostly just a place to eat and sleep and get from port to port. The ports were the valued experience. I think it really depends a lot on if your tastes are northern scenery or tropical scenery.

Have a lovely trip whichever you choose!

I have done both, 3 times to Alaska and twice to Hawaii. It all depends on what you like to do. Alaska is perfect for the person who loves to sit and watch the scenery, whales, eagles and other wildlife which you are able to do almost all the time since you are usually so close to land.

You don't need a balcony, especially if you are going in May or September when it is quite cold on a balcony. We enjoy sightseeing from the Spinnaker on NCL or the Crow's Nest on Holland American. On a balcony you just get to see what is on one side of the ship and miss half of everything. In those lounges you can see both sides and have many people to alert everyone when a whale surfaces or schools of dolphins are spotted.

There are many excursions like the train in Skagway that are easy on people with difficulty walking and highly enjoyable for all.

If you like to rent a car and make your own excursions, there is no better place in the world to do it than in Hawaii. We read up ahead of time about the best places to see and rent a car in each port and get to sightsee on our own time without being rushed or delayed by others. We always book a cruise that starts or ends in Hawaii so we can spend a few extra days there seeing all the things that you are unable to see on a port day. Mountains, volcanoes, beaches, rain forests, deserts, waterfalls, wildlife, bars, lounges, restaurants and hotels, Hawaii has it all.

I've been on many cruises but am unable to tell you what my favorite destination is but I can definitely tell you that Alaska and Hawaii are my two favorite places to visit.

Since you did both NCL and HAL for Alaska, did you prefer one over the other? Did either or both have naturalists on board. If so, when, and where they better on one line or the other?

I have done both, 3 times to Alaska and twice to Hawaii. It all depends on what you like to do. Alaska is perfect for the person who loves to sit and watch the scenery, whales, eagles and other wildlife which you are able to do almost all the time since you are usually so close to land.

You don't need a balcony, especially if you are going in May or September when it is quite cold on a balcony. We enjoy sightseeing from the Spinnaker on NCL or the Crow's Nest on Holland American. On a balcony you just get to see what is on one side of the ship and miss half of everything. In those lounges you can see both sides and have many people to alert everyone when a whale surfaces or schools of dolphins are spotted.

There are many excursions like the train in Skagway that are easy on people with difficulty walking and highly enjoyable for all.

If you like to rent a car and make your own excursions, there is no better place in the world to do it than in Hawaii. We read up ahead of time about the best places to see and rent a car in each port and get to sightsee on our own time without being rushed or delayed by others. We always book a cruise that starts or ends in Hawaii so we can spend a few extra days there seeing all the things that you are unable to see on a port day. Mountains, volcanoes, beaches, rain forests, deserts, waterfalls, wildlife, bars, lounges, restaurants and hotels, Hawaii has it all.

I've been on many cruises but am unable to tell you what my favorite destination is but I can definitely tell you that Alaska and Hawaii are my two favorite places to visit.

Since you did both NCL and HAL for Alaska, did you prefer one over the other? Did either or both have naturalists on board. If so, when, and where they better on one line or the other?

Yes, they were on both and very similar. The main difference we had on our cruises was that Holland went to Sitka where we had a fabulous semi-sub excursion and Norwegian went to Skagway where we had a great train excursion. But different ships have different itineraries.

Me and my husband (we are in our early 50's) also did both Hawaii and Alaska on Norwegian. Like everyone else said both were beautiful but completely different. :cool:Hawaii cruise was an all American crew which weren't as attentive to your needs as other cruise ship employees. Not bad, just didn't go out of their way to assist you. We just came back from Hawaii in September 2017 and that trip to me was incredible with all the over night stops. IMO it was a great way to see Hawaii but not to take away from Alaska, that trip too was awesome and I am currently looking into booking a land and cruise tour with Norwegian for 2019. Either cruise you wont go wrong, both are equally enjoyable.

We went to Alaska 2 years ago (58 yrs old)... it was one of the best things I have ever done in my life... planning the Pride of America cruise to Hawaii this May... this is another "bucket list" trips for me...hoping I like Hawaii as much as I like Alaska...be like me...try to do both!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums