Travel Vaccines??

ellie84

Are travel vaccines really necessary for a cruise in March taking in ports of Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Mumbai, Goa and Muscat?? And malaria tablets?? Will only be off the ship for a few hours at each port, will not be on any “off the track” excursions, and will not be consuming any food/drink in any of the ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your best bet is to check with the CDC for their recommendations or your local travel immunization clinic for their opinion. Even though you don't plan to eat or drink while off the ship - will the ship be re-supplied while in one of these ports and where did the food come from? If any of those ports are in a malaria zone, I would err on the side of caution and ask for a anti -malarial prophylaxis.

When She Who Must Be Obeyed and I travel internationally, we always check our yellow shot cards to make sure we are up to date on our vaccinations and if we anywhere near a malaria zone, we take the anti-malarial pills.

You can google each one of your ports/countries and quickly find what is recommended.

Are travel vaccines really necessary for a cruise in March taking in ports of Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Mumbai, Goa and Muscat?? And malaria tablets?? Will only be off the ship for a few hours at each port, will not be on any “off the track” excursions, and will not be consuming any food/drink in any of the ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have traveled all over the World and visited Malaya, Singapore, India, the UAE and Oman. I am not aware of any need for vaccines or malaria tablets for those countries. In India, we visited ports on the SW coast. Perhaps there are places in India that one should get the tablets.

We did get the Hep A vaccine, due to visiting some third world countries. That is probably not a bad idea. We got the Yellow Fever vaccine before visiting South America, even though we did not have to have it.

We are planning an African Safari in Kenya and will definitely do the malaria tablets.

Just looking at the CDC travel pages for India and the UAE, and other than routine vaccines (which I'd be sure were current), they only recommend Hep A and Typhoid for "most travelers". Antimalarials are a "discuss with your doctor" recommendation, along with a few other less common vaccines.

I'd really talk to your physician, but depending on your age, you may well have had the Hep A vaccine anyway, and I really wouldn't want to come down with Typhoid halfway around the world.

Without discrediting the input of those who have travelled the region in the past, things can change quickly. Ebola was never a problem in Africa... until it was. Chikungunya and Zika were never an issue in the Caribbean, then suddenly became one. As several others have said, go see your doctor or a travel clinic for the most current medical advice.

Do take into account (as you already have seemed to indicate) what you plan to do. Guidelines are meant as general recommendations, whereas your physician can help fit the general guidance to your situation. Some of the recommendations are good sense if you're going to be staying in a region at local accommodations but you will be at lower risk on a cruise ship.

FWIW most US insurance may not cover travel related vaccinations if the reason is simply "travel". My doctor was willing to document a reason that helped to get my Hep A vaccination covered, the reason came off the CDC website for one of the groups of people they recommend vaccination for and did NOT list "travel". Just a small suggestion on that, and if cost is a concern it may be worth seeking pre-authorization just in case. Some of the vaccines can run triple digits between the actual jab and the office fee to administer the jab.

Just looking at the CDC travel pages for India and the UAE, and other than routine vaccines (which I'd be sure were current), they only recommend Hep A and Typhoid for "most travelers". Antimalarials are a "discuss with your doctor" recommendation, along with a few other less common vaccines.

I'd really talk to your physician, but depending on your age, you may well have had the Hep A vaccine anyway, and I really wouldn't want to come down with Typhoid halfway around the world.

Hepatitis A vaccine is a good one for all travelers to get but the CDC recomends Typhiod vaccine for every country I have ever checked. I googled those countries and the particular ones had never had a case or had not had one in 50 years. For example Bermuda which is a devoloped country I would not run out and get a Typhoid vaccine as the the CDC recommendations. I certainly would get one if I was traveling to India. Research your ports and see if they actually have Typhoid cases and where in the country.

Edited by Charles4515