Travel to Cuba via Oceania

Traveling Woman

I want to caution Americans who will be on 7-day or more cruises to Cuba on Oceania. The United States has sanctions against Cuba and the sanctions only allow very specific types of travel (educational, humanitarian, etc.), otherwise you are in violation of the laws and regulations. The excursions on Oceania do not meet these types of travel. Oceania has American travelers self-certify that their trip meets the criteria outlined in the sanctions for approved travel. If you provide this to the USG, you will have made a false statement to government agencies, which is punishable by fines and jail time. Will you get caught? Maybe...it depends upon the Customs agent who welcomes you back into the US. Be very careful if you're considering something like this.

I want to caution Americans who will be on 7-day or more cruises to Cuba on Oceania. The United States has sanctions against Cuba and the sanctions only allow very specific types of travel (educational, humanitarian, etc.), otherwise you are in violation of the laws and regulations. The excursions on Oceania do not meet these types of travel. Oceania has American travelers self-certify that their trip meets the criteria outlined in the sanctions for approved travel. If you provide this to the USG, you will have made a false statement to government agencies, which is punishable by fines and jail time. Will you get caught? Maybe...it depends upon the Customs agent who welcomes you back into the US. Be very careful if you're considering something like this.

One of the types of travel the US allows is cruises.

It's not that cruises are not allowed - it's what happens after you get off the ship in Cuba. When the US Embassy workers were "attacked" by mysterious noises, the President had the sanctions changed so that there are only 12 categories allowed:

§515.560 Travel-related transactions to, from, and within Cuba by persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction.

(a) The travel-related transactions listed in paragraph © of this section may be authorized either by a general license or on a case-by-case basis by a specific license for travel related to the following activities (see the referenced sections for the applicable general and specific licensing criteria):

(1) Family visits (see §515.561);

(2) Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations (see §515.562);

(3) Journalistic activity (see §515.563);

(4) Professional research and professional meetings (see §515.564);

(5) Educational activities (see §515.565);

(6) Religious activities (see §515.566);

(7) Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions (see §515.567);

(8) Support for the Cuban people (see §515.574);

(9) Humanitarian projects (see §515.575);

(10) Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes (see §515.576);

(11) Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials (see §515.545); and

(12) Certain export transactions that may be considered for authorization under existing Department of Commerce regulations and guidelines with respect to Cuba or engaged in by U.S.-owned or -controlled foreign firms (see §§515.533 and 515.559).

View Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations Subsection 515.560

You are wrong and are just fear mongering. Have you even been to Cuba on Oceania (or any other cruiseline)???

I was there last month on Oceania and all ship tours are OFAC approved. But you can also take private tours or walk around on your own. We were certified for the 3 different "people-to-people" categories, which is what the cruiseline had us do.

Unless you know the truth, you should not try to scare others. And Cuba is a wonderful place to visit!!

did you look at the list? There are no people-to-people allowable travel. That was under Obama.

Wrong again!! On Dec. 8 2017 (under Pres Trump) we filled out and signed the affidavit at cruise check in and the 3 people-to-people options had been HIGHLIGHTED BY OCEANIA for us to initial and sign!! Everyone did the same thing. Didnt matter when you booked.

Again I ask......HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO CUBA ON OCEANIA OR ANY OTHER CRUISELINE? You never answered that! If not, it would explain alot. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have been on several cruises; mostly on Regent Seven Seas and Silversea, although I did cruise once on Oceania. Oceania cruise lines is not the authority on the sanctions, and clearly, neither are you. Call OFAC if you don't believe me.

Just my 2 cents’ worth - it’s hard to argue with people who very recently visited Cuba on a cruise and had no problems with their excursions - cruise ship sponsored ones or private ones.

There have been multiple reports of recent trips without any problems.

Based on that I would not hesitate to book a cruise to Cuba (with Oceania or other cruise line).

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

This shows O is compliant, but just to verify, I also verified with my Congressman’s rep, and cruises with Educational/ representative sponsored tours are allowed. From the four cruise lines I checked, all provide the same tours now, and per my conversation, they comply. No individual person to person allowed, but sponsored by US compliant / Registered company is allowed. There is a grouping for many business that cannot be toured or promoted, and those are off limits. Please ensure that you do your homework prior to travel, and yes, cigars and liquor are allowed to bring back, but check with the state dept on your limits.

Yes, I have been on several cruises; mostly on Regent Seven Seas and Silversea, although I did cruise once on Oceania. Oceania cruise lines is not the authority on the sanctions, and clearly, neither are you. Call OFAC if you don't believe me.

I didn't ask if you've ever cruised....I asked if you've been TO CUBA??

You are trying to stir up fear and I can't figure out why.....and yes, I AM right.....but why do you care??? Doesnt look like you're going to Cuba.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

This shows O is compliant, but just to verify, I also verified with my Congressman’s rep, and cruises with Educational/ representative sponsored tours are allowed. From the four cruise lines I checked, all provide the same tours now, and per my conversation, they comply. No individual person to person allowed, but sponsored by US compliant / Registered company is allowed. There is a grouping for many business that cannot be toured or promoted, and those are off limits. Please ensure that you do your homework prior to travel, and yes, cigars and liquor are allowed to bring back, but check with the state dept on your limits.

They told us 1 liter of liquor and up to 25 cigars with value of $100.

Actually, it's Customs and Border Patrol that can tell you the limits, not the State Dept. I am not trying to single out Oceania but it was the only one that I saw that had excursions that were questionable. In order to comply with the Educational tours, it needs to be through an accredited institution, which I did not see in their excursions; to wit https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2000-title31-vol2/pdf/CFR-2000-title31-vol2-sec515-565.pdf. I did see that Carnival offered an excursion that did meet the OFAC requirements.

As I understand it, according to the newest U.S. regulations, U.S. citizens are not supposed to patronize any establishment that is owned or run by the Cuban government.

But, once you step on the tour bus for your tour that Oceania has certified as OFAC compliant, you are in violation of the U.S. law SINCE ALL THE BRIGHT SHINY NEW TOUR BUSES ARE OWNED BY THE CUBAN GOVERNMENT (made in China) AND LEASED TO THE TOUR COMPANIES (which are probably partially or wholly owned by the Cuban government anyway). You are probably less likely to be breaking the rules by hiring a "57 Chevy or Buick that is outside the Havana cruise terminal for a tour since that car is not owned by the Cuban government.

IMO the U.S. Government has created a Kafkaesque bureaucratic mess just to scare a few tourists from spending a few dollars in Cuba. And as far as that goes, we had anticipated a long interrogation by U.S. officials at disembarkation - customs and immigration. So much so that we booked a later flight that we ordinarily book to fly home. THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO INTERROGATION OR QUESTIONING about what we did for the past week or what we purchased. I could have had come home with a suitcase full of cigars (if I could afford it - the ones we did buy were expensive) and no one from the U.S. government would have questioned it.

I don't know what the OP's motivation is in posting such an inflammatory post. Is she a U.S. government agent here to scare us?

When we returned home, to conform with U.S. regulations, I made a binder that contains copies of all our excursion confirmations as well as the dailies distributed by Oceania. I also made a Shutterfly picture book of the photos we took - mostly of cars and cobblestone streets.

It is my hope that 4 and a half years from now, a U.S Treasury department agent comes knocking on my door to review what I did in Cuba in December 2017. IMO, If they have the man/woman power to send agents around on a fool's errand, it will mean that all the problems facing the U.S. will have been solved by then.

OP - go or don't go - but please don't post confusing misinformation.

as i understand it, according to the newest u.s. Regulations, u.s. Citizens are not supposed to patronize any establishment that is owned or run by the cuban government.

***that is true.***

and as far as that goes, we had anticipated a long interrogation by u.s. Officials at disembarkation - customs and immigration......there was absolutely no interrogation or questioning

***same thing for us! Customs didn't care at all.***

i don't know what the op's motivation is in posting such an inflammatory post. Is she a u.s. Government agent here to scare us?

***i've been wondering the same thing!! Hasn't even been to cuba but wants to scare people with false info.***

op - go or don't go - but please don't post confusing misinformation.

exactly!

It is my hope that 4 and a half years from now, a U.S Treasury department agent comes knocking on my door to review what I did in Cuba in December 2017. IMO, If they have the man/woman power to send agents around on a fool's errand, it will mean that all the problems facing the U.S. will have been solved by then.

OP - go or don't go - but please don't post confusing misinformation.

And, my hope is that 4 and a half years from now the political winds will change and we don’t have to deal with these issues.

You seem to be refusing to answer the question. Have you ever been to Cuba .... by air or cruise .... ANY cruise line?

Isn't this like yelling Fire (when there isn't one) in a theater? Your ONLY purpose is to inflame people and spread LIES about a wonderful country. The people are AMAZING. I am SO happy that I travelled there in May 2017 and I ONLY used private tours. I would NEVER pay for a cruiseline tour. The history and people and the old cars ... it was an amazing experience.

You are wrong and are just fear mongering. Have you even been to Cuba on Oceania (or any other cruiseline)???

I was there last month on Oceania and all ship tours are OFAC approved. But you can also take private tours or walk around on your own. We were certified for the 3 different "people-to-people" categories, which is what the cruiseline had us do.

Unless you know the truth, you should not try to scare others. And Cuba is a wonderful place to visit!!

I don’t think this is fear mongering. I looked it up and that information is completely correct. Does that mean you’ll have a bad time and get arrested- absolutely not. But it’s important to have the information- the facts. Then you can just decide if you want to go and if you do how to handle customs. It was generous of her to share this information in my opinion- which obviously isn’t your opinion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like Go-Bucks we also visited Cuba in December. We were pleasantly surprised by the ease of entry into Cuba, as well as being waved through when returning to the U.S. in Miami (and I’m sure the U.S. government officials in Miami were aware the ship we were on visited Cuba).

The OP definitely isn't a Customs officer as she got the name wrong. The correct name is U.S. Customs and Border Protection (not Border Patrol).

People like to rant and/or vent about all sorts of things. Just ignore her. Cruise ships (regardless of which line) take all steps to inform their passengers of the regulations. Oceania sent me out two forms to complete and return to them 60 days prior to my cruise. The affidavit and the immigration form. I paid Oceania $75 for the Cuba visa which is a two part and will be given to me upon embarkation. I have a private tour guide from one of the reputable companies planned for my one day stop in Havana.