Choosing Liberty out of Galveston, worth the "hassle"?

qkd0314

Did this cruise a couple of years ago, mainly because of Roatan and Belize, which did not disappoint. Hopefully it was just our cruise but the embarkation and embarkation were the worst we have ever encountered, including more than an HOUR wait at customs and immigration in a HOT area and EVERYONE was complaining. Hotels were jacking up the prices and we ended up staying at a Hilton outside Galveston. Never had treatment like that at a Hilton. Ever. They had people checking in for a wedding and the rest of us were left sitting in the lobby for over 2 hours waiting to check in. There was a long line of people complaining about charges on their bill and they didn't separate any of them from people checking in. Had to rent a car because you needed to drive to reach restaurants. Our choices for breakfast was paying for a very overpriced breakfast or crawling back into the car to drive somewhere and everyone eating at the same time. The traffic was unreal. I'm extremely glad we got to visit Roatan and Belize. We will not be cruising from Galveston in the future. The ship and the ports were great. Galveston, for us, is a deal breaker.

Did this cruise a couple of years ago, mainly because of Roatan and Belize, which did not disappoint. Hopefully it was just our cruise but the embarkation and embarkation were the worst we have ever encountered, including more than an HOUR wait at customs and immigration in a HOT area and EVERYONE was complaining. Hotels were jacking up the prices and we ended up staying at a Hilton outside Galveston. Never had treatment like that at a Hilton. Ever. They had people checking in for a wedding and the rest of us were left sitting in the lobby for over 2 hours waiting to check in. There was a long line of people complaining about charges on their bill and they didn't separate any of them from people checking in. Had to rent a car because you needed to drive to reach restaurants. Our choices for breakfast was paying for a very overpriced breakfast or crawling back into the car to drive somewhere and everyone eating at the same time. The traffic was unreal. I'm extremely glad we got to visit Roatan and Belize. We will not be cruising from Galveston in the future. The ship and the ports were great. Galveston, for us, is a deal breaker.

The embark has totally changed with the new terminal. I’m on as fast as any port as I can think of. Have a 600+ seating area up the escalator after check in so you can be comfy until you are called to board.

The pool band has always been a Caribbean reggae style band. We've cruised out of Galveston probably a dozen times or more. Often the show band will be C&W but not always.

Disembarkation can be slow. Since so many people drive to port, there are a ton that do self carry. So plan your departure accordingly.

I have been on Liberty, and of course it does not compare to Disney for kids, but I found no complaints

But, did not have kids with me.

Flying in and out of Houston, no problems. I used Galveston Limo to get there, they forgot to pick me up after cruise - used a regular taxi - long lines of them to pick you up - exact same price so no need to book a limo - no difference in my mind - taxi was clean, driver friendly. ask for flat rate to airport, not meter rate.

I cruised 1 week, stayed 1 week at the Hilton (a little far away for walking downtown but great beach!!)

I did a day in Galveston on the main street - great little town, loved it. the pier charges - you have to buy tickets, so I did not go on it. (not like SanFran where you pay as you go).

Went on Norweign and on off ship excellent - RC not so, very late getting off ship for some reason - long lines - I was staying in Holiday Inn in Houston for the night, was not in a rush, just sat and read, but with kids that could be difficult and if you have an early flight - would not fly early just in case there is a delay.

Loved the ports - that is why I did that as a getting away port, and Galveston is a very nice place to spend a few extra days. I was there 2 yrs ago and new port was only 1/2 open - hope it is fully open now.

If you come in the day of the cruise, try to arrive extra early, drop your luggage at ship and go into Galveston - only a couple of blocks and very walkable - huge candy/icecream store!

I’m actually looking at the Liberty out of Galveston for 2020, to celebrate our 50th anniversary. I see it’s an older ship, being launched in 2007, so I hope that’s not a problem. I heard the ship had some updates in 2016, though. As for seeing Galveston, I would never try to fly in day of cruise. Too many variables that could go wrong. I generally fly in one to two days prior. Anyone have good hotel suggestions in Galveston?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing on Liberty in about 2 months. It most likely will be our only time. What I don't like about it seems that most hotels require a 2 night minimum and very expensive. We did find a hotel for one night at a decent price but booked it 11 months in advance. It's just a basic hotel, nothing high end. It's pretty far away from the pier and most of the shops and restaurants. Flying in a day early and using Galveston Limo. It's four of us so it can be rather expensive. I don't want to sound like a downer we are looking forward to it. The airfare was high too about the same as it would be for four of us to San Juan and much more than FL would be.

The distance from Pennsylvania to San Juan is about 1700 miles. The distance from Pennsylvania to Houston is about 1500 miles. The distance from Pennsylvania to Orlando is about 1000 miles. The airfare sounds like it was about right where it should have been.

To the OP, it IS a longer ride from IAH to the Galveston Terminal. Is that where you're planning to fly into? It's only a 40 minute ride from Hobby airport. Even still, it's actually a pretty straight shot from IAH to Galveston. 45 South ALL THE WAY. :D (When I was a kid (college), it was always cheaper to fly into/out of Hobby. For some reason, it's now almost always cheaper to fly into or out of IAH. Not sure why, though. Volume??? IAH is a much bigger airport. :confused:

And, as Bob mentioned, you can get a more reasonable rate without the 2 night requirement if you stay off the Island. Clear Lake/Webster/League City or even Texas City are good alternatives. They're on the way from either airport (right off 45 South) and have many hotels to choose from. There's at least 5 hotels on NASA Rd 1 alone (from Extended Stays to a very nice Hilton on Clear Lake).

My last cruise from Galveston was in 2014 but there was steel drum music by the pool. There were a few times when country music was playing, but I assure you we weren't walking around in chaps, boots & spurs! :D

I did notice that there were WAY more dance classes/activities on my 2 Galveston cruises than there were on my FL cruise. Not sure if that was a regional thing or a what but I missed it.

Give Galveston a shot. :D

Disembarkation can be slow. Since so many people drive to port, there are a ton that do self carry. So plan your departure accordingly.

We encountered this in November on a b2b. The ton that do self carry hold up the rest who have luggage tags as well as us B2Bers. As well if you buy duty free alcohol or tobacco you must pay Texas state tax upon disembarkation. We will not cruise from Galveston again.

My husband and I took two of our sons and their wives on the Liberty in November. I strongly dislike country music and don't even remember hearing it and we were at the pool every sea day.

Also, not having to fly all the way to Florida from California for a Caribbean cruise made the travel day half as long. We really liked that. My real problem is I like the Eastern Caribbean more than Western.

We are on the Liberty in April and fly into Hobby the day before. Since we get in late in the day we are staying near the airport. I was planning on using Uber to get to the Port (4 of us). Anyone ever had problems with getting an Uber to and from the Port?

Exactly. Galveston has its own set of problems.

What kind of problems? I ask because I’m looking to book a cruise for 2020 out of Galveston on the Liberty for my 50th Anniversary. I plan to fly in one to two days early and stay in Galveston, so what kind of problems involved with sailing out of Galveston?

What kind of problems? I ask because I’m looking to book a cruise for 2020 out of Galveston on the Liberty for my 50th Anniversary. I plan to fly in one to two days early and stay in Galveston, so what kind of problems involved with sailing out of Galveston?

The nicer hotels many times require a two-night minimum on the weekends. Only one rental car agency on the island and it's difficult (if not impossible or very expensive) to do a one-way rental car to the island. Fog in the winter months. Alcohol restrictions until you get to international waters.

We are on the Liberty in April and fly into Hobby the day before. Since we get in late in the day we are staying near the airport. I was planning on using Uber to get to the Port (4 of us). Anyone ever had problems with getting an Uber to and from the Port?

We flew in Jan 13th took Uber from IAH to a hotel in Galveston Sat at 4pm cost was $75 then we took it again Jan 21 when we got back but only to Texas City so we could get a car a budget since we had a 9:30pm flight That one was $23. Both times they were there quick, we had no issues. If anyone does stay on the island and wants to explore but doesn't have a car the Galveston trolley's were really fun and just $1 per adult each way. It can take a while to get there but the drivers we had were all very nice! Plus you can't beat $4 round trip to the strand.

As pointed out on this thread: fog, 2 night stay required at many hotels, expensive hotels, slow disembarkation, Texas tax on duty free goods. Also I think there's something about a Texas law that limits what drinks can be served until the ship is far enough away from Texas. Probably not a big deal, but still.

The limit on what one can drink inside the 12 mile limit isn’t severe enough for me to gripe. I can find something and plenty of it the minute one sets foot on the ship.

That alone probably isn't a showstopper for most people, but when combined with the other problems, I can see why some choose to avoid Galveston.

We have done two spring break cruises out of Galveston. The Navigator in 2015 and the Liberty in 2016. We greatly enjoyed each, the first time we rented a car out of Hobby and stayed at Moody Gardens for two nights prior. The second time we ubered and stayed at a Hyatt right outside of NASA. Using Uber was much cheaper than renting a car. NASA was incredible and we would go back in a heart beat. The Liberty itself is in great shape and the Cruise was awesome. I especially like the crowd sailing out of Galveston. Very laid back and relaxed, seemed much different than sailing from Florida.

The only downside was disembarkation, just a bloody mess. They just did not have it together, and it took much longer than it should have. Easily the worst I have seen out of around 25 cruises. Perhaps this problem has been rectified since two years have passed.

During our cruises, most of the families we have met that have been on the Oasis class and Freedom class have told us they prefer the Freedom class. We are sailing on the Allure this April so we can experience the difference firsthand and decide which class we prefer.

We have cruised out of there 7 or 8 times and last 4 years on rccl, better hotels have doubled price in last 4 years and almost all the better hotels require a two night stay, because of that and weather delays we will skip it this year and most likely next.

Weird thing the last time we went out of there. Called the hotel right next to the pier and the lady said it was a two day minimum. Then went to one of the on line travel sites and they didn’t say anything and let us book one night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've sailed out of Galveston several times. They usually have the best prices. My suggestions to keep it calm and fun:

Fly in the day before, and book ahead with Jeff's Cabs (409) 621-5333. The dispatch lady is a hoot! Use them airport (Hobby is best) to hotel, hotel to dock, dock to airport.

If you want to save money, book your air with Southwest, and try to arrive before or after commute hours. The drive down to Galveston can be heavy traffic. Definitely go to Galveston the night before, NOT the day of the cruise from Houston.

Book a 2pm or later flight back home. There can be fog in the port, so avoid it. Most fog burns off by mid-day, early afternoon. Go across the street to Fuddrucker's and have a nice lunch, then have Jeff's Cabs pick you up.

We have sailed out of Galveston the last two years. The first year we stayed in Kemah and had a wonderful time. The next year we stayed at the Harbor House and toured Galveston Island. The only country music was heard was at night after bingo was over. They did both county and pop if I remember correctly. The only issue I had with the limited liquor was I always have Champagne and Strawberries delivered to the room for sailaway and they wouldn't deliver it until the next day because of the restrictions. Otherwise we loved the ship, had plenty to do for all ages, had great service and I would definitely do it again. We sailed in May so we didn't have any issues with weather or fog

If you’re going to compare it to Disney, please don’t. But you’re probably sailing for 1/3 of the price.

The Liberty is a WONDERFUL ship and the crews out of Texas request to be there and are excellent.

Then again, I like the “smaller” ships. I won’t search out an Oasis class ship to go on again. The scheduling and stuff really turned me off. I hope the Liberty stays in Texas for a very long time.

As for getting to the port, go a day early and visit Kemah and check out Rocket Park at NASA... it’s Free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The fog is only really an issue in December, January & February.

As I understand it, the alcohol limit before the 12 mile mark is simply on the brand of alcohol, not the type. Believe me, there is plenty of alcohol still available. And if you're concerned with not being able to have champagne or a particular wine at sail away, you can always bring your own. That is what we did.

Liberty isn't a "small" ship. Freedom class is just below Oasis. Flowrider, rock wall, water slides & Royal Promenade are all features on LOS.

If you arrive to board the ship early, like 10 or 10:30, there shouldn't be an issue with traffic. Disembarkation does take longer when Belize is on the itinerary because of customs.

We always stay off island in Webster. Hotels are cheaper & don't require a 2 night stay. Webster is only 20-25 minutes from the pier & right on I-45.

I agree with TEXASMUNK. I am coming in 2 days before my cruise in April. Staying at Moody Gardens Spa and Hotel. Can't wait to see moody gardens, strand and pleasure pier. Hope we have time to do more. I have a question, Is the trolley on seawall working? I heard it was being repaired.

Annmarie

We saw the trolly several times while we were there last week. Not sure if it is the same one but there's some sort of trolly running!!

We were able to get a reservation at a good rate for Moody gardens for one night on my trip last year, but flight was canceled do to weather , will try them again next trip. But Hilton and San Luis always wanted two night stay