Choosing Liberty out of Galveston, worth the "hassle"?

qkd0314

I have been trolling the boards and there is a lot of not so great feedback regarding Galveston as a port. I love the Liberty itinerary that includes Honduras and Belize, but with an hour transportation minimum to and from the airport, it is seeming cumbersome and costly. Adding a rental car, and extra hotels on both ends can get quite costly.

I LOVE the Oasis class ships, but wanted to try something different. Thoughts?

We just got back from our Liberty cruise out of Galveston and it no more of a hassle than we have had leaving out of FL, and we had a kid in tow! We flew in the day before (to the Hobby airport) and took an UBER. It was about $50 and the drive was easy. Stayed at a cheaper hotel in Galveston that was away from the water but near Moody Gardens (Inn at the Waterpark). It was nothing fancy but it worked for a night. They had a shuttle to the port the next morning for $10/person. We were going to UBER but the lady at the desk said traffic can get heavy and UBER is difficult to get. Got to the port around 12:15 and it was only about 30 minutes to get onto the ship.

We did UBER over to the Seawall area the night before disembarkation, $4-5 each way. Had a nice dinner, fabulous people, beautiful views, nothing to complain about.

Yes, there was fog sailing out. Yes, there was a slight delay getting back into the port when we returned due to fog. We docked about 11:00 and were off the ship about 12:30. I would probably recommend a slightly later flight if you decide to sail from Galveston.

The only thing that irritated us was the liquor tax coming back. Our "cheap" Tortuga rum ended up costing an extra $30!

Took an UBER back to the airport, was a little more expensive due to higher demand, about $65. Still cheaper than the shuttle at $35ish/person.

I personally had an amazing experience with going out of Galveston! We went on Liberty last March and everything at the terminal was so organized and we were on the ship very quickly. However, we drove to Texas so we parked right at the terminal parking lot and got on a shuttle to bring us over to the ship. I really loved Honduras too!

Disembarkation can be slow. Since so many people drive to port, there are a ton that do self carry. So plan your departure accordingly.

One of the reasons we love Galveston is that it’s a drive to port for us. One of the things we love about driving to the port is we can take as many bags as we want, and don’t have to rush off to catch a plane. So I don’t think it’s the locals doing the self disembark thing. More likely it’s folks with early flights out of IAH.

We’ve met family who have joined us for cruises out of Galveston, and I’ve even had DW meet or drop me at Hobby when I’ve had to travel in for work. Have to agree with those who have said it’s as easy or easier than Orlando-Port Canaveral which we have also done.

We’ve never had a problem finding one night pre-cruise hotels on the island, but we’ve also stayed by the airport when we’ve met family flying in and there are also places in between if we are flying in later and wouldn’t be doing anything special that night anyway.

Hobby is definitely a better option then IAH, when looking at flight cost be sure to factor in SW’s baggage policies Vs those of other airlines that fly in to IAH, especially if your looking at the “super-economy” fares that don’t even let you have a carry on. Transport to Island from IAH Vs HOU is also more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m actually looking at the Liberty out of Galveston for 2020, to celebrate our 50th anniversary. I see it’s an older ship, being launched in 2007, so I hope that’s not a problem. I heard the ship had some updates in 2016, though. As for seeing Galveston, I would never try to fly in day of cruise. Too many variables that could go wrong. I generally fly in one to two days prior. Anyone have good hotel suggestions in Galveston?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have stayed at the Hotel Gálvez several times when just visiting Galveston. An elegant older hotel with views of the gulf. I believe, but am not certain, that they have shuttle service to the terminal. If you book this far out, I'm not sure they require a two night booking. Galveston is a happy place to me. Great seafood and memories of visits there with my late mother.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Holiday Inn Galveston on the Beach doesn’t have a 2 night minimum. It can be a little pricey, 200 range on Saturday night because Liberty and Carvival are in port and in summer Galveston is a beach destination as well for many. The HI keeps our car free for the week and shuttles us to and from the port free. We recently had theee shorter cruises on Vision from there. Our room was 130 total and our car stayed free for two weeks and they shuttled us to and from port.

The Hilton in Galveston is awful, I don’t recommend anyone to stay there.

There’s a brand new Double Tree and Homewood Suites on the east end. We Stayed at the Homewood last time and highly recommend it.

I’d also like to add that a lot has changed for the better for Cruisers from Galveston of the past 4 or 5 years. As more ships sail from the port, the transport options to the airports have improved along with the hotels and the entertainment options on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That alone probably isn't a showstopper for most people, but when combined with the other problems, I can see why some choose to avoid Galveston.

It's a shame. I've lived near Galveston most of my life, and we still take weekend trips there sometimes for a getaway. It is a wonderful little island.

We've only gone out of Galveston once, on the Liberty, but we had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Flew into Hobby, stayed the night at a nearby hotel, and used a car service to the ship. Our ride was only about 30 minutes that morning. I'm sure weekdays are much busier, but Sunday morning traffic seemed pretty light.

It's a shame. I've lived near Galveston most of my life, and we still take weekend trips there sometimes for a getaway. It is a wonderful little island.

I agree. It’s a great town with much to do there and nearby. Unless you never care to enjoy your destination before the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Promised I would report back once the whole experience completed. B2B was great, do like the Liberty but the other things associated with getting in/out of Galveston would give me pause to rebook unless I had a smoking deal.

We had the most recent fog delayed return on Sunday and even knowing that fog happens when I booked still didn't make my late afternoon flight on Sunday.

For the itineraries offered would look at pricing out of FLA if your flying in.

IT could work again because 1)Direct flight to IAH 2)Pricing can be better than FLA departures with same itinerary.

The only reason we use Galveston occasionally is that it’s driving distance for us. We also have family in Houston that we can spend the night with (we’ve done this both times precruise). That said, it sounds like we’ve been lucky. We had zero fog issues and only really had issues with lines during the cattle call of debarkation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only negative about Galveston is sometimes it is foggy and the ship might delay departure. Other wise it is actually superior to many ports. Nowhere else can you actually walk off the ship and wander the delights of the Strand and seaside restaurants and bars. It is somewhat like Key West in that regard.....Also, prior to departure you can look over the side of the ship and watch dolphins playing. Where else do you get to see that?

the Liberty? It is a very large ship. In fact, only Oasis class ships are bigger.

Doug

The only negative about Galveston is sometimes it is foggy and the ship might delay departure. Other wise it is actually superior to many ports. Nowhere else can you actually walk off the ship and wander the delights of the Strand and seaside restaurants and bars. It is somewhat like Key West in that regard.....Also, prior to departure you can look over the side of the ship and watch dolphins playing. Where else do you get to see that?

the Liberty? It is a very large ship. In fact, only Oasis class ships are bigger.

Doug

The fog might be the only negative that comes to mind for those who can drive to Galveston, but for the fly-in cruiser, Galveston has a few more negatives. Also, Tampa and Port Canaveral (Terminal 1) have some nice venues within walking distance from the pier.

The fog might be the only negative that comes to mind for those who can drive to Galveston, but for the fly-in cruiser, Galveston has a few more negatives. Also, Tampa and Port Canaveral (Terminal 1) have some nice venues within walking distance from the pier.

And we will definitely be fly in cruisers. Still on the fence, but thanks everyone for the tips!

If you aren't cruising in the months of December, January or February & occasionally in early March, fog really isn't an issue. If you can fly into Orlando & drive to Port Canaveral, then there really isn't much more of a hassle flying into Houston & driving to Galveston.

My husband and I took two of our sons and their wives on the Liberty in November. I strongly dislike country music and don't even remember hearing it and we were at the pool every sea day.

Also, not having to fly all the way to Florida from California for a Caribbean cruise made the travel day half as long. We really liked that. My real problem is I like the Eastern Caribbean more than Western.

Whew! I guess I’m not the only one! :') I dint mind a little atmospheric country music (when in Rome) but I’m hopeful for other styles to dance too also. I think Liberty is so big they can offer to ALL!

As for hotels, I also ran into the two night mins for the big historic hotels I would have liked to try. I ended up with a Marriott: with gold status, we could book one night no problem there.

Thanks to everyone for the advice on the ways to get to and from Hobby. Very helpful!

I cant speak for Port Canaveral, but the walking experience out of Tampa is not the same as Galveston. Dont get me wrong. I love Tampa as a departure port, but it has nowhere near the charm of Galveston.

I agree, Tampa is not Galveston. Galveston is not Key West or San Juan (OSJ piers) either. I only meant to illustrate that there are other ports (as opposed to Port Everglades) that have some points of interest within walking distance.

Doug

Quantum class ships are larger.