Are the victory and enchantment of the seas that bad?

chloebell1

hubby and I are first time cruisers. after going to Cancun several times and staying at all inclusive resorts we decided to try a cruise. I have always wanted to see key west , but it seems those are short ones and most of them are on carnival victory or enchantment of the seas. After reading reviews of both I’m afraid to book either one. I was leaning toward the victory since it just had a dry dock and added some things . The only thing that worried me until I read the reviews is they don’t have some of the things the newer bigger ships have. Are they really that run down? I’m beginning to think about trying glory or dream instead. Any recommendations?

We went on our honeymoon on the Victory a little over five years ago - Eastern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan. We loved it then and can only imagine its better coming out of drydock

I wouldn't worry too much but that's JMHO and YMMV........

hubby and I are first time cruisers. after going to Cancun several times and staying at all inclusive resorts we decided to try a cruise. I have always wanted to see key west , but it seems those are short ones and most of them are on carnival victory or enchantment of the seas. After reading reviews of both I’m afraid to book either one. I was leaning toward the victory since it just had a dry dock and added some things . The only thing that worried me until I read the reviews is they don’t have some of the things the newer bigger ships have. Are they really that run down? I’m beginning to think about trying glory or dream instead. Any recommendations?

If the driver is going to Key West I would suggest that you do a land vacation. The port times tend to be short so you can't really enjoy it. That said, my husband and I are doing Enchantment for a quick getaway in April but as Floridians we go fairly often.

I have been on the Enchantment and although it's fine it does lack bells and whistles. Personally I prefer Royal Caribbean to Carnival in terms of clientele, many others feel differently.

IMO, you should be more concerned about the quality of food and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed Victory in 2004 - New York to Canada - sure, she's getting old but that is no reason to think she is not maintained.

She had a strange layout - you had to go up and down decks to get around - and miserable little segments of promenade deck - but she'll get you there, and you'll be at sea.

Thanks for the replies, I think some people that do reviews complain about the littlest things. I’m thinking of trying a longer cruise on a newer ship, with more things to do. The last time we went to Cancun it was for five nights and it flew by.

You are right.

I would go with the 80/20 rule.

If 80% of the people give something a positive review or a negative review then I would accept it as fact until you experience it yourself.

This worked well for me in business and while reading review.

Keith

Interested to know which you choose.

RCI and Carnival are not the only mainstream cruise lines that stop in Key West. Celebrity, Holland America and NCL also have ships that stop there.