I’m going on a Carnival cruise, and I’m bringing a...

mistyinca

1) Packs of Starbucks VIA instant coffee - nearly as good as the real thing, MUCH better than the sour free swill, and cheaper than the stuff you pay for at the coffee stand on the ship

2) A Sharpie, primarily used to fill out name/date/cabin numbers on the paper laundry bags. (I always manage to rip the bags when I use a regular ball point pen.)

• Like 1

I haven’t read every post in this thread, but I always bring my wife with me when I cruise.

Not me. I don't always bring my husband. Check out the solo board and you'll see the likes of you are dwindling. You have a lucky wife. Or maybe she's the lucky one?

OUCHIE!

I plead guilty to a snort of laughter at the mental image of your landing. NAUGHTY ME!

It's okay. We have laughed many times now that it's over. That same cruise, our neighbor managed to hurt his tailbone on the slide the 2nd day in. I think he kind of swung down onto it instead of sitting first. At least my mishap was a bit later in the cruise.

We've also had quite a chuckle over video of me slamming back on my head at the end of the big orange slide that ends in a bowl. It was quite unpleasant, but I still laugh. Must be a bit brain damaged from it.

I always bring a cheap,inexpensive watch that I attach to the handle of my beach bag. We rarely take Carnival endorsed excursions and the watch helps me coordinate with our tour guide as far as the time we need to be back to the pier. I also take a microfiber beach towel to the beach, not the heavy Carnival towels. The microfiber towels wring out almost dry and are so much lighter to lug around. New this year are cooling towels as I am not accustomed to the heat and humidity at some ports...we are trying them out in Havana for the first time next week. We also put a banner on our cabin door to make it easier to find after a day/night of partying. My other favorite thing to do is try and find a lot of $2 bills to hand out for tips etc. People get a charge out of them. I hope they don't think that they are fake and toss them!

Happy cruising!

Deb

I always bring a cheap,inexpensive watch that I attach to the handle of my beach bag. We rarely take Carnival endorsed excursions and the watch helps me coordinate with our tour guide as far as the time we need to be back to the pier. I also take a microfiber beach towel to the beach, not the heavy Carnival towels. The microfiber towels wring out almost dry and are so much lighter to lug around. New this year are cooling towels as I am not accustomed to the heat and humidity at some ports...we are trying them out in Havana for the first time next week. We also put a banner on our cabin door to make it easier to find after a day/night of partying. My other favorite thing to do is try and find a lot of $2 bills to hand out for tips etc. People get a charge out of them. I hope they don't think that they are fake and toss them!

Happy cruising!

Deb

Cooling towels are great! I used one at Disney World this Summer, helped tremendously!

On duct tape: had a small roll in my “cruise pack” for our first few trips. Never used it, so it was out of the pack. OF COURSE, the next cruise had one of our suitcases break. Taxi driver had to find a store to buy DUCT TAPE😁!

On tea lights: we always use them in the bathroom. And, last cruise, we used one on the balcony while having a nightcap.

My one thing: a beach ball. I use it, partially inflated, on the balcony or in the room as a foot rest.

.......... I also take a microfiber beach towel to the beach, not the heavy Carnival towels. The microfiber towels wring out almost dry and are so much lighter to lug around................

Deb

Wow, with over 35 cruises behind me, I thought I knew everything I needed for cruising. What a great idea - it's so obvious I can't believe I never thought of that.....which can be said of all great ideas! Thanks for posting that.

Doug

If you don't know what to use duct tape for, clearly you are not a man.

It is used for everything!

I keed, I keed.

I suspect most folks would use it for taping things to walls, or those emergency repairs to things that suddenly fall apart.

Glow sticks are for having a nice low level light, much like a battery-operated tea light, so you can see when you have turned off the lights, especially an inside cabin.

Duct tape can also keep a drawer shut if the seas are rough. Also can be used to cover a hole in your luggage should it get torn

I always bring thank you notes. At the beginning and end of our cruises we always give an extra tip to room steward and dining room staff. They work so hard! We just jot a short note thanking them for helping to make our vacation special and put in the tip. It isn't much or a big deal, but hopefully it makes them smile.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this suggestion on these forums, I always bring the over the door shoe organizer. It holds so much stuff and makes our cabin much tidier! I end up storing all of my hair and makeup items, sunscreen, extra flip flops, and all those other small items that seem to collect on all of the horizontal surfaces. I have this one with mesh pockets. It doesn’t take up much room at all. 

Over the Door Organizer - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018RI6MFI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_b8lZBbMPBSE4S