I’m going on a Carnival cruise, and I’m bringing a...

mistyinca

Please explain "

An old gift card to use in the cabin power slot"

I bring the travel size of Lysol spray. First think I do is spray all handles, phone, TV remote, etc.

Some ships require your card to be in a slot in order to turn the lights on. However the last few sailings I've been on the steward had a pre-cut piece of cardboard or something stuck in there so we didn't have to worry about it.

Wow, read the whole thread before posting to be sure I wasn't adding duplicate items. There were a lot of good ideas here and I ended up with a little shopping list of my own. But I do have a few items I didn't see in the thread: waterproof watch to make sure I am back from shore days in time to board, collapsible water bottles, waterproof bags that fasten around the waist, Tide pods for washing a few items in cabin if needed, MQ patches for motion sickness.

Over the door shoe organizer to store bathroom products, sunscreen, etc. This helps to keep the counter space free from clutter.

One of the first things I pack.

It's also good for putting your receipts in for reconciling your bill on the last day.

if you drink coffee order a carafe of coffee first day at room service then hid it all week and you can fill that up at buffet and take back to room instead of filling up little cups and walking to your room hope this helps have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is brilliant! Fantastic tip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

.... collapsible water bottles........

Unlikely you will be allowed to bring those through the ship's "security". If the bags are empty you probably will be ok, even on your body. However, I'd put them in my checked bag, and on shore excursions I will be sure they are drained prior to re-boarding the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!:cool:

I just don’t get the whole bring-something-for-the-light thing... Why not just use the sign and sail card? In land-based hotels with a similar thing, you always use your hotel door card... but, whatever...

Seriously, how hard is it to keep a couple of old gift cards in your travel bag. It’s not a heavy burden, and you put it in the slot and forget about it.

SMH. I don’t get the whole people worrying about something someone else finds useful - even if they don’t!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unlikely you will be allowed to bring those through the ship's "security". If the bags are empty you probably will be ok, even on your body. However, I'd put them in my checked bag, and on shore excursions I will be sure they are drained prior to re-boarding the ship.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! :)

I always bring collapsible water bottles. Never had a problem on a ship or a plane. They take up very little room to pack (empty - duh!) and are very light weight. Mine have a carabiner so you can attach them to a bag or belt.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11829936436413944713/image?client=safari&hl=en-us&biw=768&bih=922&noj=1&q=collapsible+water+bottle+vapur&oq=collapsible+water+bottle+vapur&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8mcPs2drbAhWIslkKHRWeBHwQnUAIZg&prds=cid:11829936436413944713,paur:ClkAsKraX74CXloSGcMQIjOika9AtXdciUUwJibblCdn_JqnGJaVqzFFVN3pI_SXePT4NfK_V19dUmRJ5XpdvcGmMfSoBjNX7vqZeGwEW6WzicoZ5jnxLy5abBIZAFPVH70iRIejAgoNwZsAOZJm5gkOWqCe1g,sgro:iv,mvi:0

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ceilings are metal too, use magnetic hooks to hang damp clothes to dry. Much more airflow than hanging on wall.

Hat clip. Basically a cord with a clip on each end. Clip on hat and shirt keeps hat from flying away into ocean or?

Rash guard clothes for swimming/snorkeling. The ocean and ocean life will thank you (and so will your skin). This allows me to snorkel for hours and hours without reapplying sunblock.

I know the deal was list just one thing but I couldn't decide :-)

Why can't you bring collapsible water bottles? They're empty. I brought my regular 1 Qt. sized water bottle with me ... empty of course ... and had the dining room fill it with ice water each morning before my excursions.

croooze, the reason we take a card of some sort for the lights is this: If I go to the room for just a few minutes, I don't want to have to take off my card (yes, it's usually on a lanyard) and remember to put it back on before leaving the room again. Even if it were in my pocket or tote, I would still have to remember to grab it. Also, what if hubby's card is the one in the slot & he leaves to do something. Then, I'm left in the dark when I wake up or get out of the shower or whatever. It's just easier for us to leave a spare card in that slot. We're responsible enough to turn out the lights when we leave the room.

- a schedule of who wears what when so we can pack a minimum and keep it straight, do laundry half way in, and re-wear the outfits the second half

This is my tip as well - make a chart & use it to pack & then take it with us for use on the ship -- No decisions & no over-packing!!

Here's an important tip that is rarely (if ever) suggested. If you wear prescription glasses, and are going on a physically active excursion, such as kayaking, river tubing, rock climbing or zip-lining, take some sort of eyeglass retainers with you. "Chums" is a well-known brand (Google it). You can usually find them at most sporting goods stores, or on line. You wouldn't want to ruin your vacation by losing your glasses. (Been there. Done that.)

This is an excellent tip. And just to expand on the idea ... I found a floating eyeglass strap at Dollar Tree. So if you are on a water excursion and drop your glasses in the water, the strap will keep them from sinking. Also if you are very dependent on your glasses, take an old pair as a backup, "just in case."

We always pack a backpack. If you go ashore/excursion and don’t want to carry a purse.

We do this too. I have seen a couple of people recommend a backpack, I just want to add my recommendation for a specific one. We have had the Rick Steves brand civita backpack for several years. It folds up to nothing so you can pack it in your suitcase and use it as an extra bag to bring home souvenirs. It holds a lot (we used it for an overnight away from the ship in Rome once, it held enough for both of us for 1 night). And it is a soft fabric, so stuffed with a towel or jacket it can serve as a passable pillow.

Baggies.... we order pb&j sandwiches the night before we head into port. If you’re going to the beach or on a hike these are great for a snack when nothing else is around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the PB&J idea! Going to use that for our excursions! Thanks.

snip

I love the PB&J idea! Going to use that for our excursions! Thanks.

Depending on your port be prepared to have the sandwiches confiscated. You can generally take factory sealed food off the ship, but not something like a sandwich.

We pack protein bars or cracker packs if we think we might need something small while at port.

This is brilliant! Fantastic tip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually, that can cause problems if everyone ordered a carafe and kept it hidden throughout the cruise. But I know what the poster means; it's very handy. We instead have two largish insulated coffee mugs we kept in our "cruise stuff" storage. We usually have room service bring us coffee in the morning. We are up early enough that it always arrives within minutes of our desired delivery time when we order it the night before. Our insulated cups work great, and we never even have to use those small ship's coffee cups that never keep the coffee warm. We use the ship cups only at dinner.

We have been guilty of stashing away a set of silver ware and cloth napkins for day to day use. :cool:

Funny story.

I always pack a couple of "travel size" rolls just in case. My dh was making fun of me and told me it was a waste of money and space. Well, during one of our excursions in Belize, dh needed to use the porta potti.

He went in and came right back out and said "where is the tp you bought." I should have handed him a leaf but I gave him the Charmin instead. lol

Funny story-- I got chased down by a bathroom attendant in St. Martin for using "too much" toilet paper. My first thought was the roll was almost empty. My second thought was how the heck do you know how much toilet paper I used??!! :o:o

Wow you Americans and your over use of toilet paper!! Lol oh wait I’m one of those. Also I would remind hubby often how you packed tp and saved his hiney when he complains again about anything and every time I would remind him lol:D