I’m going on a Carnival cruise, and I’m bringing a...

mistyinca

Take pic of Sign n Sail card, save as your phone lock screen.

If you need an item, not a souvenir but a necessity, ask a crew member where in the port they would go for it. The crew knows where to shop in ports and where not to. Be sure to tip for the info.

I take a 36oz RTic bottle. I fill it with mostly ice and a little water. Then we refill that with water bottles and we always have ice cold water for our port adventures.

12pk of your fave energy drink, i get the x-str Monster that comes in 12oz cans. Go to any bar, order a double Vodka in a tall glass, add your beverage of choice. Party like a rockstar.

And, seriously, i pack in a carry-on and a backpack. That first and second cruise, we packed sooo much chit... we will send a bag of laundry out on the 3rd day if we need but my stuff usually isnt in that bag:cool:

Here's an important tip that is rarely (if ever) suggested. If you wear prescription glasses, and are going on a physically active excursion, such as kayaking, river tubing, rock climbing or zip-lining, take some sort of eyeglass retainers with you. "Chums" is a well-known brand (Google it). You can usually find them at most sporting goods stores, or on line. You wouldn't want to ruin your vacation by losing your glasses. (Been there. Done that.)

Croakies are another band for glasses they are a must

Keep in mind that you do not have to have the original birth certificate. A copy of the birth certificate is perfectly acceptable. The thing they stress is it has to be a birth certificate. Apparently some people think the little souvenir paper you get from the hospital is a birth certificate when it isn't.

I want to thank you. my wife and i are going on a cruise and i am getting passports. after reading this i checked and im glad i did my wife only had a registration of birth. again THANK YOU!

I take a small dry erase board (it has magnets on back) to leave notes for our cabin steward. My DH and I also use it to leave notes for each other or reminders. Some other things not already mentioned--toothbrush covers with suction cups on them so we can hang our toothbrushes, small first aid kit (for some reason we always need band-aids), small collapsible cooler for beach days, safety pins, lip balm with sunscreen, and travel size hand sanitizer.

Passport is optional in that case but:

Technicallyyou can get on, but MUST have an original birth certificate with state raisedseal and government issued photo ID. You have to be VERY careful withbirth certificates and that it' the correct one, both parents are listed byname and it is a birth certificate and not a registration of birth. Manyhave the incorrect one and won't get on. NEXT... if for any reason youneed to fly home from a port (emergency, injury, death, miss ship), youcannot do so without a passport.

If everyone reads all the info on your check in info on the Princess sight, you will see that Princess also tells you to have a passport in case you have to fly home from a foreign port.

If everyone reads all the info on your check in info on the Princess sight, you will see that Princess also tells you to have a passport in case you have to fly home from a foreign port.

Yeah, but it takes months to get a passport and I booked my wife and I cruise 4 weeks ago. So, ain't happening. ;p

It never even occurred to me that we would need to suggest that someone bring a passport when going to a foreign country. I thought that was automatic and required. Most cruises we have been on someone has taken seriously ill or had a serious injury or a serious family matter back home that has resulted in not being able to carry on with the cruise, If that happens and you don't have a passport, how are you going to fly home from the foreign country?

It never even occurred to me that we would need to suggest that someone bring a passport when going to a foreign country. I thought that was automatic and required. Most cruises we have been on someone has taken seriously ill or had a serious injury or a serious family matter back home that has resulted in not being able to carry on with the cruise, If that happens and you don't have a passport, how are you going to fly home from the foreign country?

Hope I don't get sick? :)

I haven't traveled out of country since 1989 so passport was the last thing on my mind especially with booking a cruise just 4 weeks ago. I'm not going to sweat it.

Unscented baby wipes. I like them better than the hand sanitizer wipes. I use them on port days to clean my hands if the restroom has no soap or if it's a hot day on the island to wipe my face of sweat and stuff. I just get a travel package at the Dollar Store. Huggie brand.

One thing I learned from another thread is take zip lock bag big enough to hold my swim suit. That way if it is still a little damp on the last day I don't have to waste time drying it in the dryer.

HEARTBURN MEDICATION. A couple years ago I had heartburn so bad I was sleeping sitting up in bed. The ship only had mint tums which were horrible, and we ended up getting some flavoured tums in Cozumel 2 days before we returned home. Now I always bring Zantac with me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never looked, but do the cabin TVs have HDMI ports to allow connection of devices?

Yes and no. Yes, they have them. But, they have been disabled and are not operational. Seems I have heard suites may have operational ports, but I may be getting my information confused with something else.

I didn't know there was such a thing. We usually just gie two or three one dollar bills when tipping

I think the US $2 bill was more common in the 70's and 80's (when I was a kid). They are not in common circulation now, but are still legal tender.

While the servers will probably notice you for using $2 bills, it might not be fondly. My understanding is that they are harder to exchange.

Are the loonie and twoonie (sp?) still used in Canada?