Dress code and kids

It has been quite a while since we've sailed with RCCL and our kids were 2 the last time and wore whatever we put on them :)

They are now 9 and I'm wondering the daily expectations in terms of the MDR. One of our boys is autistic and hates clothes generally, meaning a collared shirt will be hard and he will likely want his t-shirt and shorts 24/7. Outside of the formal nights, is it fairly standard for kids to not be in collared shirts or pants in the MDR?

We've been working on him for weeks to wear a golf shirt for us one night for a picture and sadly it is making him not want to go on the cruise at all.

Any advice is welcomed. I am aware that staying away from the MDR is an option, as is medication for his anxiety, but we'd prefer to avoid both those options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

officially, the suggested attire is for everyone out of diapers. unofficially, what you may experience could be different. I know our recent cruise( Rhapsody out of Tampa) flip flops in the dining room at dinner were expressly prohibited.. first time I had seen that. usually it just says no shorts at dinner.

I also know that for the most part.. all the kids were nicely dressed in at least khakis and polo short, with most of the pre teen and teen girls in modest sundresses. so if 'conforming' and fitting is is important to him, that is something to think about.

My son wore shorts in the MDR, even on formal night (he also has autism). I got him in a polo shirt, but he chose the color. It was the only time he wore a polo all year I think!

Aside from dress code, if you let RC know ahead of time, they can assist you with priority boarding, a private muster drill and a separate, quiet dining table if you need them. They have always been great with our son.

officially, the suggested attire is for everyone out of diapers. unofficially, what you may experience could be different. I know our recent cruise( Rhapsody out of Tampa) flip flops in the dining room at dinner were expressly prohibited.. first time I had seen that. usually it just says no shorts at dinner.

I also know that for the most part.. all the kids were nicely dressed in at least khakis and polo short, with most of the pre teen and teen girls in modest sundresses. so if 'conforming' and fitting is is important to him, that is something to think about.

Conforming is unfortunately the least important thing to him. Thanks for the feedback, perhaps we'll try shoes, pants and plain no designs t-shirt the first night and see if he looks like he's really going to stick out. In hindsight, we probably should have stuck with NCL w/ the kids!

My son wore shorts in the MDR, even on formal night (he also has autism). I got him in a polo shirt, but he chose the color. It was the only time he wore a polo all year I think!

Aside from dress code, if you let RC know ahead of time, they can assist you with priority boarding, a private muster drill and a separate, quiet dining table if you need them. They have always been great with our son.

Thanks a lot, this is good to hear. He is mild/moderate so ranges from seeming like every other kid to having the worst day ever, sometimes with the snap of a fingers it can change so quickly.

Its normal to be concerned. He will be fine. Our son is also autistic and deals with some of the issues you mentioned. Inform the crew and they will make every effort to assist if an issue arises. For example, you can also request a table that is close to an exit, window, etc... what ever works best for you son. I have found out that on many occasions much of the same menu served in the dining rooms is also available elsewhere on the ship in a less formal fashion. I bet you son surprises you and does well when the time comes. Enjoy you cruise and don't let the little things become really big concerns. Having a Special Needs child I respect the needs and concerns of the practically perfect passengers, but in the end I deal with issues of autism the best I can at the moment. I also recommend going to dinner really early after the first night since the crowds are lower at that time.

I would let him wear a plain pair of shorts, not cargo or athletic or denim and a plain t-shirt, no pictures or writing. That's a compromise but perfectly acceptable for his age. Maybe a he would like a henley type shirt, looks like a tee but has a button placket, no collar.

I would make sure he is comfortable and then you will all be happier.

Have a great cruise and don't worry about the dress code.

Conforming is unfortunately the least important thing to him. Thanks for the feedback, perhaps we'll try shoes, pants and plain no designs t-shirt the first night and see if he looks like he's really going to stick out. In hindsight, we probably should have stuck with NCL w/ the kids!

Don’t worry one bit about “sticking out”....he’ll be just fine. Enjoy your cruise!

Don't be too concerned with MDR atire on RCCL, it is not particularly formal even on designated nights. Perhaps treat this as an opportunity for your son to "dress like a grown up". Even by allowing him to wear what he wants but pointing out how the adults (not other kids) are dressed. This may eventually allow him to realise there are certain times when one should dress up.

He's 9. Don't let anyone tell you he'll stick out or convince you to think you need to make him conform. Enjoy your cruise. The dress code now is "suggested." You see plenty of kids in shorts.

I didn't feel like I stuck out on our last cruise and I wore shorts except for formal nights and Chops.

I am a 61 year old kid.;)

Bill

Thanks a lot, this is good to hear. He is mild/moderate so ranges from seeming like every other kid to having the worst day ever, sometimes with the snap of a fingers it can change so quickly.

Mine too but thankfully it’s definitely getting milder as he grows up. Loud noises and crowds are what sets my son off, so cruising was a bit nerve wracking for us in the beginning but he loves it, so long as we are keeping things within his comfort zone.

I wouldn't worry. Do what you can, but don't let this be an issue. As others said, just inform the MDR of his needs and they will certainly be understanding. Honestly, if you get him into pants, shoes, and T-shirts, he'll pretty much look like many adults in the MDR. And as he's 9, most everyone recognizes kids often dress down a bit. Please don't think that you "should have stuck with NCL" over this. Really, no one will notice.