Oceania regatta cruise from hell experience. READ THIS BEFORE BOOKING OCEANIA

We were on the Oceania Regatta for the Sydney to Sydney cruise December 20th -Feb 23rd 2018 it was a complete nightmare I will document the situation as best I can.

I am an experienced cruiser having been on over 40 cruises and this was by far the worst experience I ever had on cruise.

I traveled across the world to see Australia, unfortunately we missed 4 ports 1 was due to a broken PA system on the ship that took 13 days to fix. For 13 days there was no music in any of the common rooms, the restaurants ,the fitness center, the spa etc. . The entertainment in the main lounge was also limited. This was all very disappointing as it was Christmas - New Years Time. This greatly hampered the enjoyment of the cruise.

Apparently the cruise before us had issues because the generator broke.

Of most importance is all of the missed ports or ports visited when the cities were literally shut down. Of the ports we did make the towns were closed. Whoever planned the port dates should be fired. We were in Cairns for Christmas Day - everything and I mean everything was closed- The same for the Darwin port, it was New Year’s Day. How were we to know this would be the case , where we live things are open on those days. In Port Moresby papua New Guinea the public government buildings that were mentioned as must see were also closed. I am not even sure why Papua New Guinea was chosen as a port as there is no infrastructure to support a cruise ship. It is also extremely dangerous and dirty. The highlight of the trip was to be Kangaroo island. Again we could not get in because they said the tenders were not able to negotiate through the waves. They sent tenders out empty with doors open - of course they would be bouncy and take on water. There was a small boat sailing around with no apparent issues. The captain also claimed the anchor could not hold the boat. That we would be pulled-to shore. The winds were about 15 miles per hour or less. That tells me the anchor may be broken . This is inconceivable unless there is a hurricane-and speaks to the unsafe condition the anchor and tenders might be in( or a lie)We are boaters and never heard of such a thing.So that meant we were at sea for 4 days in a row. I had
heard through a slip from an officer on the ship they knew this was going to be the situation the day before when I heard that it made sense because they cancelled Esperance 2 days in advance because they said the weather would not allow for tender operation there).- yet they proceeded to pretend we might get in to Kangaroo island .It was just a dog and pony show to pretend. I had have been on many cruises that sent tenders out in those sorts of waves ( not even 4 feet). I wonder if we really had to use the lifeboats if they are viable if the captain was afraid they would break or not be possible to use in these conditions- then are they safe at all. I completely understand that weather can make it impossible to get into a port. In these cases the weather conditions weren’t that bad. They either have the wrong tenders or should not plan on these ports( apparently they often miss them). Why put these ports on the itinerary to begin with? I have been on cruises in the past where they hire the local ferry service to move people to shore. When we were at Kangaroo island there was a ferry service right there.These are serious questions .

The other issues involve the safety and health conditions. There was a mold smell in our cabin and others reported the same thing. We had issues with the toilet backing up .We were
in a cabin facing the ships back - I could not use the balcony as it is covered with black soot everyday. It was impossible to sit outside with the smell of exhaust from the smoke stack. The smoke smell was also in the cabin despite keeping the door to the terrace locked. This was acknowledged by the Workmen that were sent to check the situation but nothing was done to rectify it as we are at sea. They said it has to be looked out when in port for an extended period.
Something is very wrong there —the house keeper had to clean off the deck many times . I have had the same type of position in previous cruises and always enjoyed fresh air with not charcoal soot .

While the public areas were in good shape the cabin was old and moldy. The sink in the bathroom was so old and worn the fabric in the laminate sink was worn through. It was dirty when we arrived with sticky goo in several drawers. We had to cover the couch which was worn out and stained with a sheet. It was so gross we didn’t want to sit on it .

The service was good. The food which Oceania is know for has taken a turn for the worse. Previously on other Oceania cruise that I took years ago the food was great . This time everything was frozen- frozen fish and meats and vegetables. Usually fresh seafood is brought on as are local vegetables- not on this cruise.
This was my 4 th Oceania cruise the others several years ago before NCL bought them and obviously destroyed quality.

Between the missed ports and the ports we saw that were closed we really didn’t experience Australia -we didn’t sign up for this many sea days ( add those ports to cities that were closed for holidays ). We essentially lost 6 out of 18 ports which is over 30 percent of ports lost( 4 because they didn’t get in and 2 because of holidays and the towns were closed down). For the final outrage and disappointment customer service is unresponsive- they just don’t care. This cruise line is at a point in time where a large public cruise company owns it. It is run completely to wring out profit at the expense of quality and good experience. This corporate attitude never works in the long run. We will NEVER GO ON ANOTHER OCEANIA CRUISE EVER.

I have travel insurance I wouldn’t think that it covers missed ports. I will check but I don’t remember that when I read the contract originally

Hi Susan14,

Travel Insurance company called Insure and Go has a policy that covers Missed Ports.

Have used them many times without any problems.

The only thing you need to do is get a letter from the Reception Desk stating which port/ports were missed.

Cheers Zac.

Sorry you had such a disappointing cruise.

Was this route new for Oceania/or the Captain?

I was told at Stanley, Falkland Islands, that the ships which regularly don't berth/tender at Stanley end in "dam". Sometimes it is the design of the ship, skill and experience of the Captain, and sometimes it is the seas/weather which make tendering impossible.

For those who were disappointed in missing Kangaroo Island, if you return to Australia on a land holiday, you can fly from Melbourne and Adelaide on Qantas direct to Kangaroo Island, and on Rex from Adelaide. If you don't wish to drive, you can arrange a transfer to the National Park and stay in one of the Park's cottages, which I have done. Dawn and dusk, it is wildlife heaven! Spring, wildflowers!

Thanks for the report and feel sorry for you having the bad cruise. Oceana Cruise Line are very pricey too, one would expect most things to be spot on, especially the mechanical condition of the ship and its facilities.

I have crossed Oceana Cruise Lines off my list .

Castaway, before you do that, you should consider the source of your information. I have been on several Oceania cruises and in 6 years have only missed one port (the Azores) due to a dock strike. I have done 2 Transatlantic crossings on Oceania and everything was superb.

Yes, the cruises are pricey, but IMO, you get what you pay for. Smaller ships, better amenities, dedicated crew and staff. Well worth my cruise dollars.

Look at the other posts the OP has made before you follow like lemmings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Castaway, before you do that, you should consider the source of your information. I have been on several Oceania cruises and in 6 years have only missed one port (the Azores) due to a dock strike. I have done 2 Transatlantic crossings on Oceania and everything was superb.

Yes, the cruises are pricey, but IMO, you get what you pay for. Smaller ships, better amenities, dedicated crew and staff. Well worth my cruise dollars.

Look at the other posts the OP has made before you follow like lemmings.

I agree.

I remember years ago a moderator gave an example from 2 cruise reviews .....

one was "the cruise from hell" , the other a dream trip of a lifetime...

they were both for the same cruise , on the same ship , at the same time.

I would not cross them off my list, we have been on cruises that missed 4 or 5 ports. e.g. Arcadia Sydney-Southampton in 2012 and Sun Princess - Australia circumnavigation 2009, 4 or 5 ports missed due to winds and, pirates and sea conditions re tendering.

As for the electrical issues re PA system, it happens.

But at the end of the day Oceania are a bit over our budget.:(

I would not cross them off my list, we have been on cruises that missed 4 or 5 ports. e.g. Arcadia Sydney-Southampton in 2012 and Sun Princess - Australia circumnavigation 2009, 4 or 5 ports missed due to winds and, pirates and sea conditions re tendering.

As for the electrical issues re PA system, it happens.

But at the end of the day Oceania are a bit over our budget.:(

I can understand and appreciate budgeting constraints. That is a valid reason for deciding against taking an Oceania cruise and it is an informed decision. I don't think one should make a decision based on one or two people who appear to have nothing but negative comments to make about a cruise line or a car or a city.

I can understand and appreciate budgeting constraints. That is a valid reason for deciding against taking an Oceania cruise and it is an informed decision. I don't think one should make a decision based on one or two people who appear to have nothing but negative comments to make about a cruise line or a car or a city.

Morning James, I agree with your comment, take reviews with a grain of salt.

Morning James, I agree with your comment, take reviews with a grain of salt.

Good Morning. Thank you for your understanding. It is not my intention to berate or belittle anyone. However, I have read some other posts from the OP and she seems to have a real vendetta against Oceania and is trying singlehandedly to ruin their reputation.

There’s a post from someone on the Oceania page saying they abandoned the ship mid cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just checked Oceania page and could not find any post like that, any link?:o

Oceania ..NEVER AGAIN...floating nursing home

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2586191

I think the OP I was referring to starts at post #157. I am sure she will rake me over the coals.

Thank you James, read some of those posts, some unhappy little Vegemites, but some happy ones too. Does not really worry me as Oceania cruises are a bit upmarket - pricey for us.;p