Is there a way to make payments on a drink package?

Ayebee

Hello! I want to buy the Deluxe beverage package for my upcoming cruise but damn is it expensive for 2 of us! What I am wondering is if there is a way to make payments on it or do I have to pay the full amount up front? I tried putting it in my basket and it only gives me the option for paying the full balance, which I just don't have the cash for (it's practically the amount of the cruise, which I've been paying off over a few months!). Is there another way to do it that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Hello! I want to buy the Deluxe beverage package for my upcoming cruise but damn is it expensive for 2 of us! What I am wondering is if there is a way to make payments on it or do I have to pay the full amount up front? I tried putting it in my basket and it only gives me the option for paying the full balance, which I just don't have the cash for (it's practically the amount of the cruise, which I've been paying off over a few months!). Is there another way to do it that I'm missing?

Thanks!

You will have to "finance it" yourself by putting it on your credit card and making whatever payments you want there.

You will have to "finance it" yourself by putting it on your credit card and making whatever payments you want there.

Well darn. I was hoping it was like the rest of the cruise with the ability to pay over time. Thanks for your help!

you don't have to buy this up front .... they will not 'run out' ... you can even buy it as soon as you walk on board .....

altho it is possible you'll miss a lowest cost offering but this will only happen if you are checking the price every day as the price for this package can change daily (& for each ship)

So ..... all you need do now is get a coffee can and start stuffing in money ..... when your credit card can survive the hit (and the price is low) ... go for it

[note: if you buy ahead and continue to monitor the price, and it drops ..... you can cancel the purchase <full refund> and buy at the new lower price]

[note: whenever buy this know that the price you see is a 'half truth' .... you will also be charged the tips when you buy the package. So, whatever price you see online (or on board), expect to see an additional 18% on your receipt ...... so buy a bigger coffee can]

Welcome to cruising . . .

you don't have to buy this up front .... they will not 'run out' ... you can even buy it as soon as you walk on board .....

altho it is possible you'll miss a lowest cost offering but this will only happen if you are checking the price every day as the price for this package can change daily (& for each ship)

So ..... all you need do now is get a coffee can and start stuffing in money ..... when your credit card can survive the hit (and the price is low) ... go for it

[note: if you buy ahead and continue to monitor the price, and it drops ..... you can cancel the purchase <full refund> and buy at the new lower price]

[note: whenever buy this know that the price you see is a 'half truth' .... you will also be charged the tips when you buy the package. So, whatever price you see online (or on board), expect to see an additional 18% on your receipt ...... so buy a bigger coffee can]

Welcome to cruising . . .

ok....

So ..... all you need do now is get a coffee can and start stuffing in money.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Pretend that you are making payments now, only divide up the cost and put a "payment" aside with each paycheck until you have the full amount saved. Then you are not paying interest on a credit card. :)

I don't know if this is a solution, but would the cruise line allow you to purchase onboard credits and then when you have accumulated enough credits, apply towards alcohol package.

Sure, that can be done, but I get the feeling that the OP wants to buy now to freeze the price.

Thanks everyone. Coffee can it is I guess! I haven't been on a cruise in about 6 years, and never on Royal, and they didn't have these full bar beverage packages then (or maybe they did? Last cruise was a Carnival one in Europe and we were able to bring alcohol on from the ports). I hate racking up the interest on credit cards and my low interest ones can't handle the payment right now.

The package price has only fluctuated by $2-3 a day since I booked, despite all the SALE! announcements so even if I don't get the lowest price possible it probably won't be that big of a deal.

The coffee jar method of savings is actually a well known “learn how to budget 101” practice. It teaches people to put spare money aside and then spend on an item of value once they have saved. By putting cash in a coffee jar you can physically see the balance grow. It’s a tactic that works with kids (money box) and adults.

I don't know if this is a solution, but would the cruise line allow you to purchase onboard credits and then when you have accumulated enough credits, apply towards alcohol package.

This is a good idea...but just know if you purchase onboard credit, it will not be available to spend until you are onboard. (So not available to use in your cruise planner)

It's still a great way to save up and have money to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a good idea...but just know if you purchase onboard credit, it will not be available to spend until you are onboard. (So not available to use in your cruise planner)

It's still a great way to save up and have money to spend.

Royal now allows certain kinds of OBC to be used pre-cruise.

Yes but unfortunately they do not allow you to use OBC you purchase. We found this out the hard way as we purchased OBC for 2 friends as gifts. Our thought was they would use the credit to help purchase drink packages. We waited and waited for the credit to show in the cruise planner and it never did. I called Royal and was told no, it could only be used onboard.

Yes but unfortunately they do not allow you to use OBC you purchase. We found this out the hard way as we purchased OBC for 2 friends as gifts. Our thought was they would use the credit to help purchase drink packages. We waited and waited for the credit to show in the cruise planner and it never did. I called Royal and was told no, it could only be used onboard.

Thanks for the update. Interesting that Visa points OBC does become available to use pre-cruise but purchased OBC does not.

We have for years put our change in a jar ( cruise jar ) for the extra expenses or travel $$. Within a year + we can save up to 300.

Just over two years ago I started throwing $1 bills, quarters and dimes in a case I have in my home office. Every few months I would stack the bills in $50 or $100 piles and roll the change. Last Saturday my wife and I walked into the bank with two very heavy duffle bags and we seriously could not stop laughing. The poor girl behind the counter had no idea what was about to hit her.

Anyway, $2570 later we are heading on a cruise in April with our two daughters to celebrate our oldest daughters college graduation.:D A part of me was a little sad to see the stash go.

I set up a vacation savings account at my bank about 10 years ago. On payday, I automatically transfer into this account. I also transfer about 25% of my annual bonus or any extra money that comes our way into this account. Any time we make a big purchase that is vacation related (cruise, flights, drink package, etc.), I put it on my credit card and then transfer that amount from savings to checking and then pay that amount on credit card. (We never pay interest on our credit cards, but I pay it immediately anyway so that our normal monthly balances stay about the same.)

This was several years ago, but I called RCI Customer Service/Reservations about a reservation and at that time they let me put the beverage package on the account and simply added it to the overall balance owed. They did not require payment upfront. I don't know if they still do this now. But, whenever I call they are always asking at the end of the conversation "do you want to make dinner reservations, book excursions, get a beverage package, etc." I normally do all that on-line (which does require upfront payment), so I haven't tried it again lately. Might not hurt to call...

Unless you drink 7 alcoholic drinks a day...everyday you’re on the boat the deluxe package isn’t worth it. Average beverage is 10/14 bucks. Just food for thought

I don't drink 7 drinks a day and find the package is still beneficial. I paid $43 plus grats a day and I had a couple of Pina Coladas each day which were $13 each and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner that were in the same range, as well as all the bottled water I wanted.

I don't drink beer or soda, so this worked out well for me. YMMV.