Ship time on a full Panama Canal transit

Astromaid

I have booked the Coral Princess from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles. On all other ships we have traveled the ship keeps the time of the port they sail from and back to. On a full transit, will they keep Ft Lauderdale time the entire trip or change with each time zone?

I have booked the Coral Princess from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles. On all other ships we have traveled the ship keeps the time of the port they sail from and back to. On a full transit, will they keep Ft Lauderdale time the entire trip or change with each time zone?

They change with the time zone.

What else could the ship do other than set the clocks back an hour as it moves to a new time zone? Wait until arriving in San Pedro and just move it back three hours that morning :confused:?

Actually when I took this cruise way back in 2009 the ships time did not match local time in Huatulco. Which was due to Huatulco observing DST to keep the same time as central Mexico--despite being further west than most of Central America which stays on standard time making Huatulco an hour ahead of the rest of the region. So rather than oddly go back-forward-back when sailing straight westbound, the ship was off an hour for one port. (Which I believe is no longer a regular port on those open jaw sailings).

I notice that your recent cruises have been on Carnival, which usually does not change time when in the Caribbean. However, having just done the full transit of the Splendor from Miami to Long Beach, I can report that we did change the clocks three times. EM

I notice that your recent cruises have been on Carnival, which usually does not change time when in the Caribbean. However, having just done the full transit of the Splendor from Miami to Long Beach, I can report that we did change the clocks three times. EM

When Carnival cruises return the the same port they sailed from, they do not change the onboard time. When the cruise ends at a different port (as your Splendor cruise did) the time is changed as appropriate.

I would hate keeping the original time. I can see it now. Take a longer cruise and start with early dinner at 6:00 PM. By the middle of the cruise I'd be having my 6:00 dinner at 1:00 PM or else very late at night to compensate. Sounds horrible. I'm happy that Princess changes the time to match where the ship is rather than keeping a fixed time zone.

On our partial Panama Canal cruise, the ship did not change time to match local time in Costa Rica. We were an hour ahead of local time. Our independently arranged guide did not realize we were going to be there so soon. Fortunately, one of his friends was able to call him, and we only waited a few minutes.

When we did a similar itinerary on a Holland America ship, we did change time for every port. It went backward and forward three nights in a row.

Just did the same itinerary on the Coral last week. You'll really appreciate gaining the extra hours as you go through each time zone. No jet lag either, as we flew back to the East coast.

On our partial Panama Canal cruise, the ship did not change time to match local time in Costa Rica. We were an hour ahead of local time. Our independently arranged guide did not realize we were going to be there so soon. Fortunately, one of his friends was able to call him, and we only waited a few minutes.

When we did a similar itinerary on a Holland America ship, we did change time for every port. It went backward and forward three nights in a row.

We got off the Caribbean Princess on Tuesday ending a 10 day partial transit (ie. round trip Fort Lauderdale). We DID change time zone for Limon, Costa Rica.