Can hubby and I "share" a Premium Beverage Package?

MDD&R

Thanks for the replies. This is all very confusing to me. I've never dealt with this before. It's not my intention to steal from anyone. I didn't know the package was intended just for one person - which is why I asked in the first place. I also don't know the drink prices. I asked the Princess rep on the phone and she said her guess was that bottled water was $2 each, specialty coffees were about $3.50 each, and beers and wine were about $8 each (plus 15% gratuity - which would make them closer to $9.50 or $10). I was thinking that even if we each had two alcoholic drinks, that would be $40 max, plus two coffees at about $8 total (with 15% tip), plus two waters at $4 total, that's only $52. That's still less than the $69 for the package. It sounds like I need to ask more about the different beverage packages offered and the prices of the drinks. :eek:

Hi - welcome to CC

First off, I haven’t thumbed through your entire thread but there is an excel spreadsheet here on CC you will locate by a quick word search of AIBP. This topic has been covered a number of times.

AIBP is a personal and financial decision. It also depends where you’re from (certain cultures drink more, in our experience) and who you’re with (on a girls’ only cruise I switched TO AIBP on the first day, noticing how the cruise was going to become costly otherwise!).

If you have the means, and believe you will benefit from the convenience, go for it. No sharing.

We have used it for shorter 5- and 7-day cruises. But I found I consumed more calories and alcohol than I wanted to justify the expense, and I have found that a per-glass works better for me. We usually get the soda package now, and room service spirits offered for cocktails, and use the happy hours for frozen drinks or other beverage choices.

5-7 drinks a day for the duration was over consumption for me, in addition to the large lovely meals.

Like I said it’s a personal financial decision.

Enjoy your holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't get the package but often take a drink out of the bar/lounge area. How in the world do you think they could control those who have the package to not leave the bar area (perhaps make them wear a funny hat?)

We often get a drink to take to the theater. One has to get to the theater well in advance of a show in order to get a decent seat so we just get drinks and go read in the theater until the show starts. I can imagine the uproar if they decided no drinks could leave the bar. Of course one can order a drink in the theater but it's far more hassle than simply taking one with you.

Hi - welcome to CC

First off, I haven’t thumbed through your entire thread but there is an excel spreadsheet here on CC you will locate by a quick word search of AIBP. This topic has been covered a number of times.

AIBP is a personal and financial decision. It also depends where you’re from (certain cultures drink more, in our experience) and who you’re with (on a girls’ only cruise I switched TO AIBP on the first day, noticing how the cruise was going to become costly otherwise!).

If you have the means, and believe you will benefit from the convenience, go for it. No sharing.

We have used it for shorter 5- and 7-day cruises. But I found I consumed more calories and alcohol than I wanted to justify the expense, and I have found that a per-glass works better for me. We usually get the soda package now, and room service spirits offered for cocktails, and use the happy hours for frozen drinks or other beverage choices.

5-7 drinks a day for the duration was over consumption for me, in addition to the large lovely meals.

Like I said it’s a personal financial decision.

Enjoy your holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for this. I appreciate it and all the useful information that people have posted. I've looked over the very helpful pictures of drink menus that were posted and it looks like my husband's drink of choice will cost at most $7.50 and mine a little over $9. We plan on being very busy doing excursions with our young teen daughters whenever we can so it's unlikely we'll have the time (or energy - haha) to consume enough alcohol to make the package worthwhile for either of us. I think we might go for a coffee card though so we can enjoy some fancy coffees in the morning and pre-buy some bottles of water as we're very accustomed to drinking bottled water.

Thank you for this. I appreciate it and all the useful information that people have posted. I've looked over the very helpful pictures of drink menus that were posted and it looks like my husband's drink of choice will cost at most $7.50 and mine a little over $9. We plan on being very busy doing excursions with our young teen daughters whenever we can so it's unlikely we'll have the time (or energy - haha) to consume enough alcohol to make the package worthwhile for either of us. I think we might go for a coffee card though so we can enjoy some fancy coffees in the morning and pre-buy some bottles of water as we're very accustomed to drinking bottled water.

It is always nice to do some research before any trip. Glad the information was helpful in deciding what would be best for you and your husband. Enjoy the coffee card. Have a terrific cruise.

But enough thread drift. Back to the beverage package crayonista-ing:

15 x $ 12 max = $ 180 less say 25% 'discount' = $ 135 + 15% grat = $ 155.00

Use it or lose it - no carryovers to future cruises;p

would be OK for the higher priced drinks

Sure OK for the higher priced drinks but for someone for whom 50% of their consumption is domestic beer (or like my mom who only ordered the cheapest glasses of wine even on someone else's tab) it would be impossible to beat the house.

So here's my modest proposal:

For somewhere between $80-90/day (still required to purchase entire cruise) up to fifteen drinks per day that can be ordered by any adult in the cabin. Still only one at a time, but cabinmates together would be each served a drink (until hitting fifteen) while paying for only one package. However, for such a plan to work it could not have unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. Either ever drink ordered (booze or no booze) counts towards the fifteen limit--or all persons in the cabin would have to purchase Soda and More. Though I would suggest returning the milkshakes/frappes/Gong cha to the Soda & More, plus adding the one large bottle of water in all full service dining (specialty and MDR). If only one person in the cabin wants to add sodas, let them buy the old soda only sticker.

There are some lines that do have limitations on non-alcoholic drinks with their beverage packages. If Princess can't cut down on sharing I see the Soda card (and coffee card) becoming a required separate purchase. Because I would bet the farm that people who buy the PBP only for themselves "because my spouse doesn't drink" cost Princess just as much as those who share booze by ordering a soda or coffee and passing on to their spouse in the guise of "its not cheating because its not a real drink"

Just set it up with punch cards like they do for coffee. Doubles' date=' sharing, a round for the table... who cares? Once you reach 15 they go on your cruise card. They'll still make a killing.[/quote']

Since it is 15 drinks per day, you would need 7 punch cards for a 7 day cruise, each with a specific day printed on it. Very cumbersome.

Since it is 15 drinks per day, you would need 7 punch cards for a 7 day cruise, each with a specific day printed on it. Very cumbersome.

Yeah, that crossed my mind... It could likely be done on a card similar to the cruise card or a credit card. My thinking is that the margins on drinks is insane, so they make their dough and get rid of the sharing dilemma in one feld swoop.