Sete, France - what to do? where to go?

MCazer

Will be in Sete on October 26 (Friday) from 9am-7pm

Looking for things to do, possibly close by, or a train, bus ride away. Love to do it ourselves when possible!

Any and all ideas welcome!

I haven't done it, but you can go on a guided tour by boat of the canals of Sète which then takes you to l'Étang de Thau for a visit to the oyster beds. Oyster farming is HUGE in this part of France.

Google 'Sète Croisières' for more information. There is a button on the website showing the British flag which will change the language to English if your French isn't up to it.

There are lots of options if you rent a car. Public transit is somewhat limited and makes things more difficult. But perhaps you might want to consider going to Carcasonne which you can do with a rental car...or possibly the train (depending on the schedule vs your port times.

Hank

We took the local train to Montpellier and explored the city, took the train back, and watched a jousting match on one of the sete canals, and then took a cab to the highest point in the city for a great view and a geocache. Fun and busy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like Sète. The canal and l'Étang de Thau boat ride is a good idea.

If you want to rent a car and venture out to less crowded and interesting places, head east to the Camargue and visit Aigues Mortes and Le Grau du Roi (50 km). If you have a lot of time you can also go on to Saintes-Maries-de-la Mer (30 km more).

Another possibility to the east is Montpellier (30 km) and Nîmes (50 km more).

Béziers to the west is also a nice place (60 km) and Carcassone (80 km more).

You have a long port day, so you have many options. I see you are going in october, so there will not be the summer crowds, especially in the Camargue and in Sète itself. Carcassone could be a little less crowded.

Edited by marazul

I really have never thought about renting a car. Is it easy to do? cost effective? Do they have street signs in English at all? Would hate to get lost. I love the idea of visiting Carcassone. I picture the Amazing Race in my head, and how everyone always gets lost!!:')

Of course, the street signs are not in English. But the signs are like in the US - town names and distance. The names of the streets, towns and cities are the same whether in French or English. The distances are in kilometers. The roads are very well sign posted and in excellent condition. Use your navigation app or GPS and you will be fine.

Road symbols are almost like everywhere else:

http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/french-road-signs/

https://www.autoeurope.com/travel-guides/france/france-road-signs/

https://about-france.com/highway-code.htm

Learn the "priority to the right" rule. And you will love the little traffic lights at eye level under the big traffic lights. You'll see...

I really have never thought about renting a car. Is it easy to do? cost effective? Do they have street signs in English at all? Would hate to get lost. I love the idea of visiting Carcassone. I picture the Amazing Race in my head, and how everyone always gets lost!!:')

Getting lost (which we often find to be great fun) is not a big problem if you rent or have GPS. In fact, just get T-Mobile as your cell carrier and you will have unlimited data (at no additonal cost) in about 140 countries (including France). As to driving, the French drive on the right just like we do in North America and use very common International Road signs. Ironically, the French stop signs actually say "Stop." The tricky part of driving in Europe are the various parking rules...so one should read about the rules in any country where they plan to drive...or you might get some nasty parking tickets.

Another issue in France involves toll roads...because some US issues credit cards will not work. This is no problem if one simply carries some Euros (always a good idea). Many US major credit cards do provide some free insurance (usually CDW) for rentals in most countries (Italy and Ireland are often an exception) so you should check with your credit card companies (before leaving home) and get a copy of the coverage rules.

Hank

Getting lost (which we often find to be great fun) is not a big problem if you rent or have GPS. In fact, just get T-Mobile as your cell carrier and you will have unlimited data (at no additonal cost) in about 140 countries (including France). As to driving, the French drive on the right just like we do in North America and use very common International Road signs. Ironically, the French stop signs actually say "Stop." The tricky part of driving in Europe are the various parking rules...so one should read about the rules in any country where they plan to drive...or you might get some nasty parking tickets.

Another issue in France involves toll roads...because some US issues credit cards will not work. This is no problem if one simply carries some Euros (always a good idea). Many US major credit cards do provide some free insurance (usually CDW) for rentals in most countries (Italy and Ireland are often an exception) so you should check with your credit card companies (before leaving home) and get a copy of the coverage rules.

Hank

This is now on my agenda to look into.

T-mobile is not an option (horrific service where I live) but, I always get a sim card for my mobile wifi device and use my iPhone and google maps, etc (facetime kids, imessage ) so that is doable.

Always carry Euro (or whatever currency) and carry credit card with no foreign transaction fees, but I know that since our cards do not have "pins" like in Europe, it becomes a hassle to use at terminals.

I will check with credit card (usually my Amex is great with renting in the USA) and will also check with State Farm insurance and see if it transfers to Europe (specifically France, but maybe Italy too)

We did a Carcasonne/Bezier tour on stop at Sete. We had a driver and guide but I'm sure a DIY car rental would be easy too. Carcasonne was wonderful and would have been even better with less crowds. We wanted to see Canal du Midi which flows from Toulouse to Sete. Bezier is great place to see this as there is a set of 9 locks that you can watch boats on the canal transition through. We also passed by the canal jousting in Sete which looked to be an amusing diversion.

I decided to book a rental car, I was perusing the idea of renting a car when we flew into FCO for the day to our in between destination in Santa Marinella. And while I was on the phone with them, I booked a car in Sete. I prepaid the rental for both, as they are totally refundable. And he mentioned there was going to be an increase in the cost (Euro) shortly.

If you decide to head to Nimes to see the amphitheatre, you can go a little further to Uzes and see the Pont du Gard. Wonderful Roman bridge with an interesting visitor centre. Or in the other direction is Carcasonne, I would recomend reading Labarynth be Kate Mosse before you go there, it brings the whole history of the place alive. You could return from Carcasonne via Homps, a lovely little spot on the Midi canal where you can take a boat ride

If you decide to head to Nimes to see the amphitheatre, you can go a little further to Uzes and see the Pont du Gard. Wonderful Roman bridge with an interesting visitor centre. Or in the other direction is Carcasonne, I would recomend reading Labarynth be Kate Mosse before you go there, it brings the whole history of the place alive. You could return from Carcasonne via Homps, a lovely little spot on the Midi canal where you can take a boat ride

I have to get a map and check this all out! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
I have to get a map and check this all out! Thank you!

We will be on the same cruise and would love to join you and share expenses if you don't mind another couple tagging along to Carcassone! Email me at adunlowatgmail.

Thanks

We will be on the same cruise and would love to join you and share expenses if you don't mind another couple tagging along to Carcassone! Email me at adunlowatgmail.

Thanks

This would be a little jaunt on our own, celebrating our 25th anniversary, so we are hoping for that special memory alone time navigating around France on our own.

We do plan on perhaps joining in on some other group excursions through Roll Call, but this one is all to ourselves. Sorry.

• 4 months later...
Last year we did the morning Gourmet walking tour with Nancy , Absolutely Southern France , it was very interesting and tasty and we just came back from oursecond time in Sète and we were so happy to find that she has a brand new tour 2 hours "Artisans Open Studio Tour" just great we loved it

:hearteyes::hearteyes:

Hi- Do you have Nancy’s contact information? Thanks so much!!

Hi- Do you have Nancy’s contact information? Thanks so much!!

Susie, I suspect that 'Laura' does indeed have Nancy's contact information, since the only posts that 'Laura' has made have been to advertise Nancy's tours.... no input about what cruises she's taken or is planning, no chat about cruises. Just recommendations for this tour guide.

I'd take the recommendation to be an ad rather than a valid recommendation from a trusted fellow cruiser.

• 2 weeks later...