Is there a way to figure out how close to "sold out" your cruise is?

moki'smommy

Obviously if you go to "I'll choose my own" cabin and you get a bunch of choices, there are obviously cabins left in that category. I'm also familiar with sites that show which/how many categories are still for sale; that tells you only categories, not numbers of cabins. But is there an accurate way to figure out how full the ship is?

Yep. Ask your TA. They can look it up real quick.

Is that true? What about the old adage that a cabin is sold and resold on average 8 times?

Based on my experiences it seems like there are multiple "waves" of GTY assignments which are a better indicator of how the cruise is selling. A "wave" being a point when several low category balcony, inside, oceanview rooms being sold out, and several higher category ones being available one day, and then the next, all the upper category rooms are sold but there are lower category rooms available. But even then, you never know what "wave" you are on because it could take several waves.

I think the easiest way to get an idea is to look at the price or flash sales for bookings with less than 75 days left. Generally, if insides are going for under $100 per day I would say they are undersold.

Based on my experiences it seems like there are multiple "waves" of GTY assignments which are a better indicator of how the cruise is selling. A "wave" being a point when several low category balcony, inside, oceanview rooms being sold out, and several higher category ones being available one day, and then the next, all the upper category rooms are sold but there are lower category rooms available. But even then, you never know what "wave" you are on.

Oh ok, interesting theory. I looked through your website on this page and and I can see what you are saying about the "waves" where several cabins will appear to be booked from one day to the next. Interesting.

Obviously if you go to "I'll choose my own" cabin and you get a bunch of choices' date=' there are obviously cabins left in that category. I'm also familiar with sites that show which/how many categories are still for sale; that tells you only categories, not numbers of cabins. But is there an accurate way to figure out how full the ship is?[/quote']

You are following the correct way to find out how many cabins have yet to be selected

You need to pick a category and then a section of the ship and select to choose your own cabin. Then go to each deck that shows up and count the unsold cabins. Then repeat for each section of the ship in each category.

Yes, time consuming, but that is the way to see how many cabins are still available for selection.

As others have pointed out, there is no way to know how many GTY bookings have yet to be assigned.

So the ultimate answer is "Only Princess knows for sure," but if you see a lot of rooms available for booking, likely it is not close to sold out. And if the on line notice says "This cruise is sold out," you just forget that one. That's kinda what I expected.

Obviously if you go to "I'll choose my own" cabin and you get a bunch of choices' date=' there are obviously cabins left in that category. I'm also familiar with sites that show which/how many categories are still for sale; that tells you only categories, not numbers of cabins. But is there an accurate way to figure out how full the ship is?[/quote']

Do dummy bookings.