Alaskan White Pass Scenic Railway in Skagway

donnajo56

We have taken the rail 3 times each time we took first trip in the morning and returned. We have encountered sporadic fog in the early morning going up but this makes amazing pictures. When you turn around and come back the fog is usually cleared. We have always bought the trip from the ship and the train has picked us up right at the ship. Otherwise you have to walk into town and pick up your tickets and the price was the same. You have an a guide in each car and can go outside between the cars to take pictures if you wish. There was also an open viewing car. Last time we did this was 3 years ago. Great trip always.

I did the morning trip up and back on the train. Fantastic. The train left again after we got back to take another lot up the pass.

Yes there was a toilet in our carriage as well as a small pot bellied heater (wood burning?) which kept us warm.

There was a case of water bottles at the front of the carriage which we could help ourselves to.

You could exit the carriage and take photos on the small platform just outside your carriage. Don't worry this was very safe. There is a rail to stop you falling off the train. This was good as you did not get reflections from the windows.

What we would do differently.

After talking to passengers who took the train one way and the bus the other way we would choose this excusion next time.

Why? The seats on the train did get a liitle hard on the way back and I became hungry on the way back. I was wishing we hadn't had breakfast so early. The passengers who did have lunch at the top really enjoy the stopover at the restaurant.

Make sure your camera is well charged because there are so many must get photos.

I hope we get to this part of the world again and would do the White Pass Senic Railway excursion again in a heartbeat.

We did afternoon round trip. I wished we had chosen the rail up and bus down so we would have had opportunity to get out at various places aling the way down and take pics. Coming down on train was a little boring and we had shopped and walked all morning in port so fell asleep on way down.

Cherie Ganesh

Memphis, TN

We did afternoon round trip. I wished we had chosen the rail up and bus down so we would have had opportunity to get out at various places aling the way down and take pics. Coming down on train was a little boring and we had shopped and walked all morning in port so fell asleep on way down.

Cherie Ganesh

Memphis, TN

I agree with you. We looked across from the train to see the bus pulled up and people out taking photos.

We did the Emerald Lake Tour with Dyea Dave. It was a wonderful tour. Their buses were small (only 16-20 people) and comfortable. Our guide was very informative and he made plenty of stops for photo opps, etc. He even told us to let him know if we spotted any wildlife and he stopped the bus each time we did.

We did the bus going up. In fact, our tour took us into the Yukon territory about 75 miles to Emerald Lake & Carcross (Caribou Crossing), as well as other points of interest. We had the option of either remaining on the bus for the return trip to Skagway or taking the White Pass & Yukon Railroad from Fraser (where they dropped us off right at the train station), We absolutely loved the train ride back.

First time we did the train up to the pass and bus back to the ship. The trip up was great but so was the bus back. The second time we rented a car and drove it to Emerald Lake stopping in Carcross for a break. It was a great trip but cars are limited so plan way ahead. Because we were driving we could stop where we wanted and take pictures. It worked out well.

We did this in the VIP car last time, it's the lead car up, last car back with a large "porch". 12 passengers, dedicated tour guide, finger food, drinks (including beer, wine and bubbly), and very comfortable lounge chairs. Definitely the way to go. And yes, a bathroom...

We did this in the VIP car last time, it's the lead car up, last car back with a large "porch". 12 passengers, dedicated tour guide, finger food, drinks (including beer, wine and bubbly), and very comfortable lounge chairs. Definitely the way to go. And yes, a bathroom...

How do you book the VIP car, does that cost extra or is it just luck of the draw? Any pictures anywhere of this car?

Jimbo:):)

How do you book the VIP car, does that cost extra or is it just luck of the draw? Any pictures anywhere of this car?

Jimbo:):)

When we did it, we booked through Princess. They offered this tour at two levels. You just go in and book the VIP level one. It is more, but definitely worth it.

Pooh

When we did it, we booked through Princess. They offered this tour at two levels. You just go in and book the VIP level one. It is more, but definitely worth it.

Pooh

EDIT: think I found it, called

WHITE PASS SCENIC RAILWAY - LUXURY CLASS

I see now you are not allowed off the train at the summit........did you feel you may have missed something up there because you couldn't get off the train? or is there really nothing up there to see?

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

White Pass is a must see. We have done it twice. First time we went up and back, stopped just before the border. Second time we crossed the border into Canada, actually had to show passports. Then we boarded a bus and came back down on the other side of the pass, stopping for pictures along the way. Added a side tour to a gold panning camp. Got to do a little gold panning and learned about the history of the gold rush and watched a small stage show.

I did the one where you come back on the train and did the am trip. I thought it was fabulous.

This is the one we did. Got off the ship and right onto the train. Easy peasy! Saw lots of bear and mountain sheep. Loved it! The pictures I took are awesome!

I see now you are not allowed off the train at the summit........did you feel you may have missed something up there because you couldn't get off the train? or is there really nothing up there to see?

Jimbo:)

Nothing up top to see... You can't get out as you have entered Canada(at least that's what they say, looks like Alaska to me). The RCMP will shoot you on sight, might even shoot you without seeing you.

We did the Yukon experience

Travelled into Canada by coach. Stopping off at a few stops for photo's and a bbq lunch near the half way point of the excursion. We also had a sled dog ride and visted a museum with the best taxidermy I have seen.

On the way back we stopped at the border and picked up the train back to town. Fantastic day out with a different commentary and views between the coach and train.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Forums mobile app

Although we booked it through Princess, our train did not leave from dockside. We were put on a bus that took us to the train.

We did the morning train into Canada. Needed our passports, and Immigration officials went through the train checking passports.

We took the train one way up. We got off the train in Canada, and walked to the bus for the drive back to Skagway. The bus did stop for photos. Our tour stopped at the Yukon Suspension Bridge and then we stopped for lunch at the Jewell Gardens.

I recommend that you pick one of the White Pass Railroad tours that does NOT include the Jewell Gardens. That stop was a complete waste of time. The lunch was not edible, and the flower gardens were disappointing. The only good thing about the Jewell Gardens stop from my perspective was that I was able to catch a city bus back to town without waiting for the tour bus to take me back, cutting down on the amount of time wasted.

But definitely, the White Pass Railroad is worth it!