Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

How about the P&O cruise the beginning of the week out of Australia that also had a brawl, I heard it started because the line to the men’s room was to long. Maybe just maybe it is mentality of the people from that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Security Staff certainly appear to be unfit for purpose there, but maybe they did the best they could in unanticipated circumstances (we only see a moment). Reading the article, the problem was two large groups that provoked each other and threatened other passengers from the point they embarked the ship. Maybe they got them off the ship at the first port of call. The article indicates that 30 of them took part in that brawl. The number of Security staff on any ship won’t be more than a handful (if that). Maybe the Cruise industry haven’t needed to train them to the Standard of Police or Prison Officers in the past because crime was usually carried out by an individual at a time. Groups of violent yobs didn’t used to cruise. As others have said, maybe we shouldn’t be happy anymore to find a cheap cruise!

Since I don't watch videos depicting ignorant behavior I read the articles that are printed. It did say that most of these people were from an extended family and that they started this behavior from the moment they got on on board. Why were complaints not made at that time or any time leading up to this moronic behavior? Because people do not speak up these days is the reason things get out of control in society. Hopefully no decent people were injured and the thugs will spend some quality time in the local lockup in Australia.

"Thugs", indeed.

It wasn't the lack of complaints since much of the thuggish behavior was directed

toward crew. After Noumea, the Legend spends 4 days at sea on its way back to

Melbourne, during which the bad behavior "escalated". The options were to put up

with the behavior, find staff to confine 23 people, or rig a plank off the side of the

ship like a pirate. As it was, the Legend, diverted to Eden, NSW, once land was

close enough.

As for the ship personnel? Capt Gazzano was on scene while the 3- or 4-stripe

(fuzzy video) purser-staff male circled the melee "putting in the boot", and while

the white-shirt security female swatted the smartphone taping the incident and

its holder. All three should exchange their whites for orange.

More evidence of the fact that the cruise lines have lowered the bar so far that the ferals are now able to afford a ticket. Another great reason to avoid mass market cruise ships.

Snoody much?! Those lowered prices have afforded my family to expand our vacation options and also allow for more that just one trip a year. Now that more schools are going to a balanced calendar with a 2 week Spring Break and a week long Fall Break, we have 3 decent chances for getaways. So maybe instead of referring to us frugal conscious consumers as “Ferals” you should remember that my family’s money spends just as well as yours.

The female security guard was only interested in smacking the phone out of the person filming, since she was useless otherwise.

Wow, I now feel LESS safe after watching this. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I noticed that too. I would’ve had a real issue that I would be addressing with Carnival after the dust settled if that was me holding the phone. They obviously were not interfering. And as long as security was following proper protocol the video should be their least concern.

I noticed that too. I would’ve had a real issue that I would be addressing with Carnival after the dust settled if that was me holding the phone. They obviously were not interfering. And as long as security was following proper protocol the video should be their least concern.

This is all over the UK press and the summer season has thousands of cabins left for sale. This incident may well burst the Cruise bubble what a shame

And just btw, tasers and batons wouldn’t have helped much. Mace is the right tool for that situation. If security doesn’t carry mace, have to wait till you’re have more guards than fighters before you intervene. Then u go through in pairs, cuffing everyone up. A guard acting alone to break up a fight is a recipe for disaster

I’d be concerned with discharging mace in an enclosed space, especially if it was in an interior corridor.

This is all over the UK press and the summer season has thousands of cabins left for sale. This incident may well burst the Cruise bubble what a shame

I’d ask if you’re joking but looking at your comical no sense history here you’re probably not.

The very disturbing thing I see with the video is the fact that Carnival is not equipped to handle this type of situation. I post this with 30 years of law enforcement experience. I can tell you it it is obvious their security staff has zero training in any type of defensive tactics or any low impact weapon training. You mean to tell me they don't know a basic pressure point to use, a simple strike. How about a baton, CS gas (pepper spray) or even a taser, no sign of handcuffs? This is incredible, their reaction was to start kicking subjects that are fighting. In my opinion their "security" was out of control more than the people fighting.

They need serious training and NOW. This is unacceptable, I cant believe they dont have any well trained personnel. When I cruised I didnt realize the passengers would be responsible for defending themselves in this kind of incident.

The very disturbing thing I see with the video is the fact that Carnival is not equipped to handle this type of situation. I post this with 30 years of law enforcement experience. I can tell you it it is obvious their security staff has zero training in any type of defensive tactics or any low impact weapon training. You mean to tell me they don't know a basic pressure point to use, a simple strike. How about a baton, CS gas (pepper spray) or even a taser, no sign of handcuffs? This is incredible, their reaction was to start kicking subjects that are fighting. In my opinion their "security" was out of control more than the people fighting.

They need serious training and NOW. This is unacceptable, I cant believe they dont have any well trained personnel. When I cruised I didnt realize the passengers would be responsible for defending themselves in this kind of incident.

Based on the behavior both seen and described, I'm guessing many family members have more than one criminal conviction. I understand that cruise lines run automated background checks on all passengers prior to boarding. (Prevents sex offenders from sailing as has been discussed in many other threads on CC.) That leaves me wondering just what has to be on someone's record to be flagged by these programs.

I also agree, there is no training. I'm really surprised at the officer that went in for a kick, then back out to swat a camera, then back in for another kick. Looks like the only training this crew has is how to wear a security T-shirt, which I'm guessing is for appearance only. Enough said, really surprised

You only get one shot with a taser. If it misses, you're down to drive stunning, hand to hand combat, a baton or gun, not to mention it costs $75 to replace a taser cartridge. I don't see Carnival springing for tasers for their rent-a-cops.

No man, cost is not a problem. $75 will automatically be charged to their sea cards with 50% markup. It's all good.

Please show me the story which said they were drunk. I'll happily defer to this as a contributing factor, but have yet to see this relayed.

If they were not drunk then they are seriously dangerous people who just like to harm others and need to be locked up for a long time before they kill someone.